Universal Love Team of Tigers who never played in a premiership

Great team.

How about Maxfield for Chaffey, A Kellaway for Newman, Maric for Stafford...Hogg at FF, Richo CHF, Benny Gale takes Turner's spot, Stafford goes to interchange...

Oh wow Maxfield, very yes. One of my favorites and I kind of assumed he’d won a premiership with Sydney (whoops). He would have to come in. It might well be Chaffey who has to make way. I like Maric a lot too, but really can’t separate he and Stafford.

Maxfield top of the ins, if his eligible.

Maric the only other change for me. Loved Staf. Love the proud tradition of "robust" Richmond rucks. But gimme the Mullet.

Rifles

All Australian
Apr 11, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
It's actually sad that many only remember him as the shell of a player he became at Fitzroy due to a crippling back injury.
Was a brilliant player in his day and carried us in many games. His 10 v the PIes on Mother's Day in '91 was an absolute masterclass and it was always the dilemma, playing him at full back or full forward as he was a fantastic player at both ends of the ground. We needed to clone him.
Remember meeting him about five years ago in the Maurice Rioli Room; an absolute ripping bloke too.
How about Terry Keays that day? Looked a million dollars. Never fired another shot.

Walt Kowalski

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Newman - Turner - Kellaway
Cameron - Gaspar - Bowden
Deledio - Coughlan - Maxfield
Brown - Gale - Tambling
Hogg - Richo - King

Maric - Knights - Foley

Kellaway - Broderick ? ?

BruceTempany14

Calling out Geelong supporters
Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Newman - Turner - Kellaway
Cameron - Gaspar - Bowden
Deledio - Coughlan - Maxfield
Brown - Gale - Tambling
Hogg - Richo - King

Maric - Knights - Foley

Kellaway - Broderick ? ?

Andy Goodwin David Honybun !
But I’d slide Phil Egan and Michael Pickering Michael Mitchell and Craig Lambert in there somehow

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Walt Kowalski

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Andy Goodwin David Honybun !
But I’d slide Phil Egan and Michael Pickering Michael Mitchell and Craig Lambert in there somehow

I dont really remember Pickering and Mitchell. Overlooked Lambert, I'd definitely get him in somewhere

BruceTempany14

Calling out Geelong supporters
Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
I dont really remember Pickering and Mitchell. Overlooked Lambert, I'd definitely get him in somewhere

When we were really crap Michael Pickering was , with The Flea , our only champion .
Took a stack of contested marks and ran all day . he was just unfortunate to be Richmond at the time . Needs more kudos for what he was .

Mitchell , just a freak at times !

I never forget where we came from and how much the see guys meant to us at the time !!

Eat em alive !

Tygrys

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2009
Dallas, Texas
AFL Club
Richmond
One of the first one's I think of is Bruce Tempany. Super talented footballer who would have played a lot more if it wasn't for injury. Others I would include for consideration would be Trevor Poole, Brian Taylor, David Palm, Robert Lamb and up until his knee injury Alan Edwards.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
If you are picking a team of guys who never played in a flag but played for us from the 80’s onwards….then Tempy-Gorya-Patchewollock product Trevor Poole looks a shocking omission from some of the teams listed so far. Behind Rioli he was probably Richmond’s best non-Premiership player during the 80’s.

He won a B & F in our stellar 9 win 1985 season, a season in which he represented Victoria in two state of origin matches when these teams were picked on a genuine basis and it was considered a big honour to be selected.

He was a lively flanker/winger type with a good overhead presence and good skills. He ultimately played 99 matches for the Tigers and another 50 odd with methchester city, for who he played in the 1992 Grand Final…..naturally enough not blotting his non Premiership winning copybook.

At his best I think he is in this team for sure. Here he is taking a nice grab over Josh Kennedy's (from Hawthorn/Sydney) father John Kennedy Jnr.
1628264169055.png

1628264442239.png

Last edited:

Cor tigris

Debutant
Oct 4, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
If you are picking a team of guys who never played in a flag but played for us from the 80’s onwards….then Tempy-Gorya-Patchewollock product Trevor Poole looks a shocking omission from some of the teams listed so far. Behind Rioli he was probably Richmond’s best non-Premiership player during the 80’s.

He won a B & F in our stellar 9 win 1985 season, a season in which he represented Victoria in two state of origin matches when these teams were picked on a genuine basis and it was considered a big honour to be selected.

He was a lively flanker/winger type with a good overhead presence and good skills. He ultimately played 99 matches for the Tigers and another 50 odd with methchester city, for who he played in the 1992 Grand Final…..naturally enough not blotting his non Premiership winning copybook.

At his best I think he is in this team for sure. Here he is taking a nice grab over Josh Kennedy's (from Hawthorn/Sydney) father John Kennedy Jnr.View attachment 1198141

View attachment 1198145
I started (to make the task a bit easier) with AFL era as the parameter. Technically that is from 1990, although there were interstate teams from 1982. “Conveniently” we didn’t win a premiership between then and 2017, so there are quite a number of players to choose from. Good call RE Poole, who I had forgotten. I guess that’s a reminder of how many have contributed to the club and I suppose how easily we can forget.

Feb 6, 2019
Murfreesboro, TENN
AFL Club
Richmond
I started (to make the task a bit easier) with AFL era as the parameter. Technically that is from 1990, although there were interstate teams from 1982. “Conveniently” we didn’t win a premiership between then and 2017, so there are quite a number of players to choose from. Good call RE Poole, who I had forgotten. I guess that’s a reminder of how many have contributed to the club and I suppose how easily we can forget.

Back in the early 80s, we'd get to the footy early to pretty much watch all of the reserves game (was a long, long day I assure you). As a group - as in the people I went to the footy with - we nominated a pair of blondes in the Twos as players we'd thought would kick on and became really good players for us. One was Trevor Poole - so a tick there - the other Greg Conlan, from up at Nandaly, who managed six senior games (and 70-odd in the reserves), but didn't quite kick on. He did, however, manage a pair of mark of the day awards on World of Sport. Remember his debut in a massive upset win over Essendon in the mud at Windy Hill in '83 - the same day big Dan Foley from West Perth booted five.
Poole was an absolute gun - a standout for us in the late 80s until he crossed to Geelong.

Lynchy04

Cancelled
Apr 20, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Only going off guys I have seen play in my time/remember well enough.

B: A.Kellerway, Gaspar, J.Bowden
HB: L.Cameron, Turner, Newman
C - Tivendale, Coughlan, Knights
HF: N.Brown, Richo, Deledio
F B.Gale, Stafford, Daffy
R - Maric, Foley, D.Kellerway
Int: Rogers, K.Johnson, Merenda, M.Chaffey

Back