B: Parnell - Butts - Worrell
HB: Smith - Murray - Doedee (vc)
C: Cook - Berry - Dawson
HF: Keays (c) - Tex - Milera
F: Thilthorpe - Fogarty - Rachele
R: O'Brien - Laird - Soligo
Int: Hinge - Taylor - Pedlar - Gollant
Sub: Sloane

I know, harsh on McAdam, but I'm a sucker for Gollant as a prospect, and I'm not putting Rankine in one of these until we sign him. He'd replace Milera though.

Sloane to sub because I really struggle to see what he brings to the plate next year, outside of some experience/leadership.

Sloane could be an asset across half-forward in a team with less options in that area. If he hadn't done his ACL this year I think he could have potentially played there and done well, for example. Given what has happened this year and the potential to recruit Rankine though it really does feel like we will have a large number of forward options in total. Walker, Fogarty, Thilthorpe and Himmelberg as big tall options isn't a crazy amount of depth but for third tall/half forward/small forward options of various kinds we would have Rankine, Rachele, Milera, McAdam, Gollant, Keays, McHenry, Murphy, Newchurch and maybe even McAsey. It's not that Sloane couldn't also be in that list, but I don't really think we need him. Seems much more likely he would play somewhere in the midfield.

It’s not that I necessarily want him gone, he obviously has talent and we should have given him a game weeks ago.

However, if he’s not gonna get picked ahead of Murphy and McHenry I don’t see him getting a game with Rankine and Rachele in the side. Might as well trade him for a pick and get someone who plays a position that we might actually use.
I think with him we always knew he’d be a slow burn because he’s got significant strengths but also significant weaknesses

I think he needs more time because if those strengths come off he has weapons many others don’t

Hopefully he gets a new deal and is happy with it

Absolutely, you can't go any higher then winning a premiership, and it's guaranteed there will always be a few triers who end up doing a role on the cheap in a premiership year, no matter the club. We do live in a salary capped league after all.

Really, the only thing that matters with a player like McHenry/Murphy is you're getting value for money, and we probably are if they're cheap, seeing they're replacement level forwards.
So what's your point about Newchurch the subject of my post. That he's a good replacement for a couple of triers.
I agree you can't go any higher than winning a premiership and yes it is a salary capped league so getting value for money is important.
But we're not anywhere near a premiership so to improve we must upgrade under performing positions.
Newchurch isn't expensive, is he an upgrade I'm not sure. I would like to find out before talk of trading him.

So what's your point about Newchurch the subject of my post. That he's a good replacement for a couple of triers.
I agree you can't go any higher than winning a premiership and yes it is a salary capped league so getting value for money is important.
But we're not anywhere near a premiership so to improve we must upgrade under performing positions.
Newchurch isn't expensive, is he an upgrade I'm not sure. I would like to find out before talk of trading him.

The point is he's not even a replacement for someone like McHenry (he is for Murphy, but Murphy is near the end of his run), let alone a good one, seeing Tariek isn't that strong defensively which is important if a player is entering that wasteland. Equally saying x isn't going to be a premiership player is a comment that is nearly always false. For most, it's just falling into the right situations.

Nor are either underperforming, they're just average AFL players.

Time and opportunity will tell if Newchurch can play half forward flank.
I hope he gets a chance for the bar isn't set very high.
Both half forward positions need upgrading.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back