Team Rd1

Remove this Banner Ad

stevo10

Senior List
Apr 18, 2001
Now that Mick is out we have to start to think about the backline for round one.

The team I would like to see is

Baird Colbert Motlop

King Petrie Cochrane

Sinclair Archer Clayton

Jones McCartney Carey

Pickett Rocca Harvey

Rucks: Porter, Simpson, Grant

Int: Burton, Harris, Robbins, Crowe

You can put in Blakey for Crowe and shift Cochrane to the bench if he's fit.

If Colbert isn't fit then we are really struggling for height.

Pagan will play McCartney down back as well as Archer for sure. Meaning Carey will play CHF and probably Grant the centre and Robbins will tag Francou or the like.

Re: Centreline Match ups

Originally posted by stevo10

Sinclair Archer Clayton

Don't like this set up. Prefer Kingy on the wing, Harris/Robbins rotating in the centre. Archer will be wasted in congested space.
Sinclair NEEDS to have his best season, he pretty much has taken over Winnies role, I reckon, but needs to make an impact on the game instead of floating in & out like he does. I notice he gets alot of quick kicks in tight situations but continually skys the ball aka hospital passes. I admire his courage and determination but needs to stand up and make an impact.
We know Clayton can get loose and run around, but is he quick enough to apply pressure on Ports pests?? Where's the Pipesmoker??? (Makepeace)

what a crap side

dodgy midfield as pointed out by woodson, back line too inexperienced or slow, who would play carey at half foward???

Your entitled to your opinion though :)

Yeah that is a pretty bad lineup.... but its ur opinion- now heres mine:
Motlop Crowe Archer
King Baird Teague
Harvey Sinclair Simpson
Rocca Pickett McCartney
Jones Carey Jnr
Porter Grant Harris
Robbins Burton Colbert Petrie..

Mine is also pretty bad and inexperienced....... that bench aint great- it needs changes(the team)- but its all I could come up with............

Will Blakey be back for rd1? If so swap him with Motlop.. I assume JNR will be back for Rd.1

It will be an interesting game...

Go Roos

Not necessarily how I would have them, but how I think they will be picked :

B : Archer McCartney Makepeace
HB : Teague Colbert S.Motlop
C : King Simpson Sinclair
HF : Grant Carey Bourke
F : Pickett Rocca Jones
R : Porter Robbins Harvey
IC : Cochrane Clayton Burton Petrie
EM : McLaren Lange Harris

Not sure about three ruckmen, or more specifically, two on the bench, but I think we would be loath to leave out arguably the best tap ruckman in the competition against a very strong Port ruck set-up.

Petrie's inclusion as a possible CHB frees Colbert or Archer to possibly play at half forward, or to take medium sized opponents instead of talls.

If one of the three rucks is left out (probably Petrie), I'd expect Harris to fill the place and add some bite at the packs.

I would have thought the team be fairly obvious. Some of the teams have been a little wierd.
Just quickly, Petrie was poor in the praccy and Crowe showed signs but no where near enough to be even thought of as a senior player. here I go:
(assuming fitness and Baird off Rookie list)

B:Archer Baird s. Motlop
HB: Blakey Colbert Cochrane
C: King Simpson Sinclair
HF: McCartney Carey Pickett
F: Harris Rocca Jones
FOLL: Porter Grant Harvey
I/C: Robbins Burton Makepeace Bourke

Against a twp prong ruck attack, we need Burton, but not always in my opinion.
Makepeace makes it on history alone.
Bourke is there only because I know Denis will pick him.

Junior, Stevo and Mick are obviously injured but would be in the team otherwise.

Archer has played in the midfield in the preseason and is reported to be very fit, thats why he is there. King is always good off half back, McCartney has been played forward for a reason. But knowing Pagan we will have the stock standard set up down back (McCArtney and Archer with a group of other slow palayers around them) and Carey as the battering ram up forward. We need speed down back. Its a must. Who plays on Tredrae worries me a lot.

Originally posted by Moti.com
Just quickly, Petrie was poor in the praccy

He did very well on Reinwold and I was thinking he deserved a go down back on that performance alone... Reinwold is supposed to be the next best thing... and Petrie towelled him up... in the second half... Petrie didn't win the ball but neither did Reinwold... and that is what matters...

Originally posted by stevo10
Archer has played in the midfield in the preseason and is reported to be very fit, thats why he is there. King is always good off half back, McCartney has been played forward for a reason. But knowing Pagan we will have the stock standard set up down back (McCArtney and Archer with a group of other slow palayers around them) and Carey as the battering ram up forward. We need speed down back. Its a must. Who plays on Tredrae worries me a lot.
The roos are a better side when Anthony Stevens is playing.

Originally posted by Darky
Not necessarily how I would have them, but how I think they will be picked :

B : Archer McCartney Makepeace
HB : Teague Colbert S.Motlop
C : King Simpson Sinclair
HF : Grant Carey Bourke
F : Pickett Rocca Jones
R : Porter Robbins Harvey
IC : Cochrane Clayton Burton Petrie
EM : McLaren Lange Harris

Spot on pretty much, but i'd have harris in for burton, whats the point of having him play 5 mins a quarter when petrie can be getting experience. Im a huge fan of robbins, and he deserves his chance in the engine room whilst stevens is still out. And that back line may be a tad slow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I think it will be Archer on Tredrea and Colbert on Lade (assuming he's fit) with Baird or Blakey (once again fitness) on Cornes.
I would prefer to see Big Jase stay down forward for the time being. He becomes the battering ram and it frees up the Great Man to do as he pleases. If either of their talls starts to get away we always have the option of throwing McCartney down back.
In the end it all comes down to the middle anyway. If thier runners get on top it wouldn't matter if we had Dench and Glendinning down there. My line up therefore would be:

S Motlop Archer Baird
Blakey Colbert Makepeace
Sinclair Simpson King
Jones McCartney Harris
Pickett Rocca Carey
Porter Grant: Harvey
Robbins Burton Clayton Bourke:(

Jam the D !

Originally posted by Passmore
In the end it all comes down to the middle anyway. If thier runners get on top it wouldn't matter if we had Dench and Glendinning down there.

And that's exactly what I said in an earlier post ....although as a possible remedy being, Pagan's Paddock !! with most likely
70% of play being stalemated on around Port's HF zone.

If anyone paid attention to the Swans / Port Wiz cup game, the Swans had alot of players pushing back, then they happen to have an open field moving forward but blew thier chances with costly misses. And they had thier best two 'tall defenders' out.

Let Tredrea take his 10 uncontested marks on the WING, the rest will look after itself.

:) The game will be won in the coaches box!

Originally posted by Moti.com
I would have thought the team be fairly obvious. Some of the teams have been a little wierd.

agree moti

some of the teams are pretty bizzarre guys

why have so many of u put in petrie , when so far he has,nt made it in the 28 of any of the 4 games

i think the only conjecture will be who will be the 4 on the bench

Originally posted by theox

why have so many of u put in petrie , when so far he has,nt made it in the 28 of any of the 4 games

Basically to replace Martyn who is likely to miss the first match. Although I've included Colbert, he'd be no certainty to play either.

There aren't many other tall defensive options, and Petrie had some spells at CHB late last year and has senior experience (and looks more mature than your average 10-gamer). In addition, one of Port's tall forwards (Lade) is actually a 6'6" ruck/forward , so Petrie's extra height would be an advantage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back