Team Selection, (OP Updated) in Shaz & Phillips - out Varcoe & Wills

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or, maybe teaching him that this isn't going to come easy and he needs to work his ass off to get it?
I think the fact that he's played the entire year in the VFL and was relegated to running laps for half the preseason may have already taught him that lesson.

This is a perfect example of what I have been saying from day one. Moore showed more potential, athleticism and marking ability in his first game than Shaz has in nine. It has NEVER been about possessions or being a match winner. It is all about that little glimpse of magic..that "something" that sets the crowd alight and makes them more than willing to endure some down times because you know something special is just over the horizon. This is my whole point-there has never been even a moment where I have thought-"wow" when watching Shaz. Moore has stood on the heads of opponents, outsprinted midfielders and shown his enormous potential on numerous occasions in between his bouts of dropsy and fumbling. That is the difference.
You obviously didn't watch the VFL final against Sandringham before he did his second knee.

This is a perfect example of what I have been saying from day one. Moore showed more potential, athleticism and marking ability in his first game than Shaz has in nine. It has NEVER been about possessions or being a match winner. It is all about that little glimpse of magic..that "something" that sets the crowd alight and makes them more than willing to endure some down times because you know something special is just over the horizon. This is my whole point-there has never been even a moment where I have thought-"wow" when watching Shaz. Moore has stood on the heads of opponents, outsprinted midfielders and shown his enormous potential on numerous occasions in between his bouts of dropsy and fumbling. That is the difference.

My point still stands......you're a bunny boiler when it comes to Shazza.

I don't get many wrong Domus......we will see if he is one.

All good mate I respect you have a different opinion.

I think the fact that he's played the entire year in the VFL and was relegated to running laps for half the preseason may have already taught him that lesson.
Training would go on behind close doors as you know, especially when testing, beep tests etc, we also wouldn't get access to GPS numbers (if they use them at VFL level).

I bag the club as much as anyone, but every single time the masses have cried for a debutant we've been proven wrong during Buckleys tenure.

Training would go on behind close doors as you know, especially when testing, beep tests etc, we also wouldn't get access to GPS numbers (if they use them at VFL level).

I bag the club as much as anyone, but every single time the masses have cried for a debutant we've been proven wrong during Buckleys tenure.
I'm not actually crying for a debut per se, I just think that it would be a good experience for him and give him a little extra motivation to do the hard work so he can get more games next year.

He's not going to have any kind of grand impact at senior level as it stands, but a round 23 debut in what will be a dead rubber could have a very positive impact for him moving forward.

I'm not actually crying for a debut per se, I just think that it would be a good experience for him and give him a little extra motivation to do the hard work so he can get more games next year.

He's not going to have any kind of grand impact at senior level as it stands, but a round 23 debut in what will be a dead rubber could have a very positive impact for him moving forward.
Same.

One thing i'll give Bucks is he won't expose anyone who isn't ready, VFL is a high level but AFL is something else entirely, good Northern league-Oven and Murray players can cope with VFL level.

Watch kirby not get a chance and come back after christmas over weight again....maybe just maybe rewarding a kid for effort would be enough to preveny this.....onya bucks!!!

Then again, maybe giving him games before he's ready might make him complacent and not put in the necessary effort.

Maynard is another comparison when talking about young recruits being played early in their footy careers. Many including myself didn't see him as AFL ready early days and it's only really this year he's started playing consistent footy with less mistakes. Scharenberg's pace is a concern by position especially when stepping up a level, but he needs another 20 games before better assessment of his AFL ability can be made. Like Maynard I think he'll become more composed with a string of games and the associated confidence.

This is what baffles me. In what universe is Scharenberg a replacement for Varcoe? Varcoe has pace to burn, provides enormous run and hits the pill or opponent at high velocity. Shaz does none of these things so how could he possibly be a replacement?

****ed if I know but other than Ramsay we don't have much pace in reserves. Maybe he gets Goldsacks role and Goldy plays smaller.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Same.

One thing i'll give Bucks is he won't expose anyone who isn't ready, VFL is a high level but AFL is something else entirely, good Northern league-Oven and Murray players can cope with VFL level.

Really? He debuted Maynard against the Hawks when he clearly wasn't ready, also had fitness problems off the back of so and so form in the VFL.

Or, maybe teaching him that this isn't going to come easy and he needs to work his ass off to get it?

I have met him and he is a very shy and sweet kid coming to grips with professionalism required to make it at the elite level. He is talented but he knows his fitness is not there yet. Having met him, I think it would destroy his confidence if he were to play before he had the fitness to run out an AFL paced game. Wells and Varcoe are mentoring him so am sure he will have motivation required over the offseason. I cannot wait until he plays as he can certainly find the goals!

I have met him and he is a very shy and sweet kid coming to grips with professionalism required to make it at the elite level. He is talented but he knows his fitness is not there yet. Having met him, I think it would destroy his confidence if he were to play before he had the fitness to run out an AFL paced game. Wells and Varcoe are mentoring him so am sure he will have motivation required over the offseason. I cannot wait until he plays as he can certainly find the goals!

I'm 95% sure i went to school with his dad, those eyes don't lie, if i'm right his dads name is Nathan, if i'm wrong he's closely related, Nathan was a cracking bloke, built like a brick shithouse but footy wasn't on our radar during year7 at Preston East tech, i was pretty good mates with Nathan Kirby and Kayle is him again.

Nathans cousin was also in my class, her first name escapes me right now but she was very intelligent, top of the class, she hated me lol, Nathan used to piss her off as well.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm 95% sure i went to school with his dad, those eyes don't lie, if i'm right his dads name is Nathan, if i'm wrong he's closely related, Nathan was a cracking bloke, built like a brick shithouse but footy wasn't on our radar during year7 at Preston East tech, i was pretty good mates with Nathan Kirby and Kayle is him again.

Nathans cousin was also in my class, her first name escapes me right now but she was very intelligent, top of the class, she hated me lol, Nathan used to piss her off as well.
I was under the impression that he was adopted, if true any physical characteristics connected to the name Kirby would be coincidental.

I appreciate what you are saying there about Moore's glimpses of out and out raw talent. But it's all a bit more complicated than that if you ask me. Some players, like Moore badly need to learn to do the simple things better and more often. Moore needs to learn leading and running patterns and how to get on the end of easy ball. He needs to learn how to not think ahead of himself before he's taken possession or marked the footy so he doesn't drop sodas like he does. IMO ... At the moment he is learning that 9 possessions and 1 to 2 goals a game is enough. It's not. He would actually benefit from a spell in the 2's learning to get his hands on the footy... The heat of AFL is not where you learn how to get the footy.
Shaz on the other hand has no prob finding the footy and that in itself is a big tick. He also uses it well.. again a big tick... He's not flashy like Moore but that does not translate to being less able to developed into a good player. Think Corey Enright... Absolute gun... Never did anything flashy, was not a crash and bash high intensity player, just read the play beautifully, got hold of the footy a lot and did the simple things well. Shaz can be that type of player. Nothing wrong with that.

When and if he becomes a decent player I will be happy for him and have no issue in supporting him. Until then I will say what I think of the current version.
So you'll keep knocking a young player, who has fought his way back from serious injuries over 3 years.
Then you'll casually jump on the wagon when/if he starts to star...
That sir, is a description of a fair-weather supporter.

Surely if Darcy doesn't come up Daicos gets his debut, Mason Cox in the wet would be about as effective a forward as a goal post.

I really don't care how the kids get a game at this point, but as I keep banging on about they need a taste of senior footy before the season is out.

This week or next it's Daicos' turn for sure, and if the rain comes as expected tomorrow, and Darcy (or Adams) are late outs then Daicos gets his debut game.

I appreciate what you are saying there about Moore's glimpses of out and out raw talent. But it's all a bit more complicated than that if you ask me. Some players, like Moore badly need to learn to do the simple things better and more often. Moore needs to learn leading and running patterns and how to get on the end of easy ball. He needs to learn how to not think ahead of himself before he's taken possession or marked the footy so he doesn't drop sodas like he does. IMO ... At the moment he is learning that 9 possessions and 1 to 2 goals a game is enough. It's not. He would actually benefit from a spell in the 2's learning to get his hands on the footy... The heat of AFL is not where you learn how to get the footy.
Shaz on the other hand has no prob finding the footy and that in itself is a big tick. He also uses it well.. again a big tick... He's not flashy like Moore but that does not translate to being less able to developed into a good player. Think Corey Enright... Absolute gun... Never did anything flashy, was not a crash and bash high intensity player, just read the play beautifully, got hold of the footy a lot and did the simple things well. Shaz can be that type of player. Nothing wrong with that.
I heard an interview start of last year with Shaz and that's who he said he modeled his game on. Not a bad bloke to follow. If he ended up half the player Enright was I'd still be happy.

You obviously didn't watch the VFL final against Sandringham before he did his second knee.

"VFL" - there's the difference.

I can see where domus is coming from. There seems to be a fair dissonance between how Scharenberg's described by the masses and his AFL level performances. I think people tend to reel off his draft profile and instantly apply it to his AFL performances even though it hasn't been the case yet. Scharenberg has seemed to play pretty conservatively so far, getting loose for uncontested marks and then distributing the ball safely. I think this is fine for his development but then you have people saying he's an elite kick and intercept mark. He hasn't shown any of that at AFL level yet. In fact, he has seemed to turn the ball over a bit going for a riskier kick at AFL level.

This isn't a bash Scharenberg post, as I said I think he's coming along fine. However, he gets a lot of slack on this board where a player like Langdon gets next to none despite showing twice as much at AFL level (which he showed very early in also). A player like Scharenberg "uses the ball well" in the AFL where a player like Smith is simply "vanilla" despite both players using the ball very similarly at AFL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back