Team Selection, (OP Updated) in Shaz & Phillips - out Varcoe & Wills

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 kick, 7 handballs, 0 marks, 0 frees for, 2 frees against, 7 tackles.

I love the effort Blair has put in over his 151 matches wearing the black and white stripes, and there is obviously more to football to stats but can someone please explain how this justifies being selected over a talented youngster coming off his best ever VFL game (could have been even better if he had nailed a couple of his shots for goal).
If Broomhead or Aish got those stats they'd have been dropped no questions asked.

My only suggestion would be that there is legs to the Adams rumour and they don't want to put too much pressure on Daics like what happened to Silvagni last year. Otherwise I can't understand it. Or that we're still a #mathematicalchance

He did have the most amount of tackles for our team...

Blair was the obvious choice but we bought in a hb for him. Is shaz playing a fwd role? Or are they just shuffling the deck chairs?
In saying that im happy to see shaz back in he needs continuity in afl games.

Also I disagree on the Smith theory.
Anyone who has watched Daicos knows the kid is silk would not matter his name was joe blog people would want him to play and get some AFL experience before the year is out.
Suggesting Mr S is the in for Varcoe, Phillips for Blair.

That's the take I have anyway.

Daicos on reserves form seems thereabouts, he'll get his chance.
But I can't fault that's he's twice (3 times?) been the emergency so he's thereabouts.

Langdon was great in his first year, not quite as good in his second, injured in his third and half the fourth.

That hardly equates to him stagnating. He deserves as much slack cut for him than others are cutting for Scharenburg. More in fact because he has quality exposed form at senior level.

There is room for both of them. longer term. If Scharenburg is the Enright, Langdon is the Harley or the Maxwell.
Both are very long term promising.

Let them both succeed

I'm a very very very patient person.

But......

Not at all happy.

Adelaide sitting top of the ladder and have had 4 debutants this year.

We've had 1.

That says it all.

36 players from 2016 draft have debuted, we've only had Callum Brown.
No it doesn't. Needs context. Greenwood and Keith are both mature age cat b rookies. Galluci was a first round pick. Beech is a 26 year old, fully developed state leaguer. Greenwood a So Adelaide have had 4 debutants from the 2016 draft, but 3 are mature age recruits.

Who do we have to debut? Is there anyone from the 2015 draft that hasn't had a game yet? I think they all have, so:

Daicos: pick in the 50's, only played 1 year of TAC, close to debut.

ND:

Kirby: pick 50, stacked on weight over the offseason. Talented, but still unfit. If he'd been responsible over Xmas and maintained his fitness he'd likely have played by now.

McLarty: Next to no preseason due to rehab from shoulder surgery. KKP, so always a likely slow burn anyway.

Brown: Debuted earlier in the year. Debut likely delayed by glandular fever in preseason.

Rookies:

McCarthy: No preseason. Currently recovering from foot surgery.

Lynch: Ruckman. Project player. Last in line in terms of rucks at the club.

Mackie: Nobody even seems to know where this guy is. Likely delisted at years end.

Honestly, this whole obsession with debuting our kids regardless of circumstances is just crazy. Daicos is close. I hope Kirby gets one game by the end of the year because I think it would be good for him. But honestly, comparing our debutant numbers to Adelaides, when they've got 3 mature recruits and a 1st round recruit who have made their debuts this year is like comparing chalk and cheese.

Last edited:
These are the players I'd have plucked from the emergencies and reserves team, and I'll limit it size so realistically the big Cox stays grounded. It's even tempting taking in Keeffe.

players ahead in my consideration are from reserves available this week:

Jackson Ramsay, Josh Smith, James Aish, Josh Daicos, Tim Broomhead, yes! Chris Mayne :eek: , Callum Brown

Heck I'd throw in Kirby ahead of our pick.

Last comment (that's not really going to happen, so last comment for now)

I'm going to call it:

• Wills already has had a better game than Number 11 will have

out of that 4 you've got to remember that 2 are mature age rookies.
I count 3. Keith, Greenwood and Beech all mature age. Galluci is your only debutant coming from the junior ranks.

I count 3. Keith, Greenwood and Beech all mature age. Galluci is your only debutant coming from the junior ranks.

you are correct, forgot about Beech to be honest.

But yeah a lot of saltiness we're not giving Doedee a run and people worried he'll go back to Victoria for cheap to a club that'll give him game time.

Galluci only got one game vs Brisbane as well and tbh is unlikely to get another game.

I really find Blair's inclusion baffling and this sort of thing has happened a bit in recent times. A player is omitted. This means they did not play well enough to hold their place in the side. That is pretty simple, fair and understandable for the players and supporters. Then a player like Wills is withdrawn on account of injury so the omitted player is reinstated into the side.

Ok......so what does that mean? The omitted player didn't play well enough to hold their place in the side, BUT, they are actually better than every other possible alternative. Is that what it means? Does it mean that the omitted player wasn't actually too poor to hold their place in the side? Does it mean that one of the players who forced them out of the side in the first place was an 'auto-pick' once back from injury or had been so outstanding in the VFL thar they couldn't be denied a senior spot? I suppose that is a maybe so far as Phillips is concerned

I suspect the actual explanation is that the coach/selection committee don't see Blair as being as poor as a lot of us and see him more as a 'lower level performance' player along with a number of others. He can therefore stay in the side unless he is very bad but is considered by them just as likely to put in a good next game as any other player in that group. It appears that the players in this group are also considered a better proposition than current first year players. This also explains why players in this group get omitted; don't play VFL the next week or play poorly in the VFL; but then pop up again in the seniors at the first opportunity

We probably need most of the players in this group off our list.

Not sure why they wouldn't look at someone outside the listed emergencies if they don't think Daic's is ready but can understand why Blair got a reprieve as we'd already added 2x <50 gamers in Phillips and Shaz.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Came on here to see the melts that wills is out and blair in over daicos......i agree should of been daicos and how dissapointing is wills!!? I feel he could be such a good player.....him and sier just cant get a good run at it

Boo-lair? Damn, was hoping to Daicos get a game...
6ec2874db9d1f5af50b4a236020ea4ce.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Personally I blame injuries, umpires, rigged drafts, Gubby, Pert, Hine, other sides being lucky and illuminati for Blair coming in after being dropped on the back of last week's stellar performance.

Bad luck just seems to follow Bucks.

1 kick, 7 handballs, 0 marks, 0 frees for, 2 frees against, 7 tackles.

I love the effort Blair has put in over his 151 matches wearing the black and white stripes, and there is obviously more to football to stats but can someone please explain how this justifies being selected over a talented youngster coming off his best ever VFL game (could have been even better if he had nailed a couple of his shots for goal).
If Broomhead or Aish got those stats they'd have been dropped no questions asked.

My only suggestion would be that there is legs to the Adams rumour and they don't want to put too much pressure on Daics like what happened to Silvagni last year. Otherwise I can't understand it. Or that we're still a #mathematicalchance

Its the 30 pressure acts last week that would've swayed Bucks. Blair certainly has the tank to run around like a blood thirsty chook for 4 quarters. Beyond the stats he contributes to the high pressure, team defense that coaches love.

I'd forget the pressure acts and rather we get a 12-15 possesion game from a kid like Brown, Daicos or even invest the time in Aish or Broomhead.

Its the 30 pressure acts last week that would've swayed Bucks. Blair certainly has the tank to run around like a blood thirsty chook for 4 quarters. Beyond the stats he contributes to the high pressure, team defense that coaches love.

I'd forget the pressure acts and rather we get a 12-15 possesion game from a kid like Brown, Daicos or even invest the time in Aish or Broomhead.
I agree with this. Aish and Broomhead need fame time. They are our future.

This should be framed. Quite an achievement from our match committee.
As long as we realise I'm not disconcerted by Scharenberg orPhillips

;)

So you'll keep knocking a young player, who has fought his way back from serious injuries over 3 years.
Then you'll casually jump on the wagon when/if he starts to star...
That sir, is a description of a fair-weather supporter.
No-a fair weather supporter is a supporter who only turns up to support his team when it is winning. I have been turning up in hail, rain , sleet and wind for 50 years-even in 1976 and 1999 when we were awarded the wooden spoon. I got my Collingwood tattoo at the end of the 1999 season to proclaim my love and support for a team which was the subject of much ridicule at the time. I never leave until the siren sounds regardless of the score. As Mark Williams would say: My man Lynch -YOU ARE WRONG!!
Please don't confuse having an opinion about a player's worth with denigrating his worth as a human being. And please don't pretend you have never questioned a Collingwood player's ability or his position in the seniors based on performance.:rolleyes:

No-a fair weather supporter is a supporter who only turns up to support his team when it is winning. I have been turning up in hail, rain , sleet and wind for 50 years-even in 1976 and 1999 when we were awarded the wooden spoon. I got my Collingwood tattoo at the end of the 1999 season to proclaim my love and support for a team which was the subject of much ridicule at the time. I never leave until the siren sounds regardless of the score. As Mark Williams would say: My man Lynch -YOU ARE WRONG!!
Please don't confuse having an opinion about a player's worth with denigrating his worth as a human being. And please don't pretend you have never questioned a Collingwood player's ability or his position in the seniors based on performance.:rolleyes:
But did Scharenberg run over your cat or something?

:D

(ps love cats, so no cat was hurt in the production of this post)

I appreciate what you are saying there about Moore's glimpses of out and out raw talent. But it's all a bit more complicated than that if you ask me. Some players, like Moore badly need to learn to do the simple things better and more often. Moore needs to learn leading and running patterns and how to get on the end of easy ball. He needs to learn how to not think ahead of himself before he's taken possession or marked the footy so he doesn't drop sodas like he does. IMO ... At the moment he is learning that 9 possessions and 1 to 2 goals a game is enough. It's not. He would actually benefit from a spell in the 2's learning to get his hands on the footy... The heat of AFL is not where you learn how to get the footy.
Shaz on the other hand has no prob finding the footy and that in itself is a big tick. He also uses it well.. again a big tick... He's not flashy like Moore but that does not translate to being less able to developed into a good player. Think Corey Enright... Absolute gun... Never did anything flashy, was not a crash and bash high intensity player, just read the play beautifully, got hold of the footy a lot and did the simple things well. Shaz can be that type of player. Nothing wrong with that.

I will never think of Corey Enright when I watch Shaz. As for believing Shaz knows how to find the pill- no-he knows how to get cheap sympathy chips sideways. Most halfback flankers can find plenty of the pill given the way our game is played. Put him in the goal square and see if he can do anything remotely related to what Moore can do.

I watched Peter Moore trip over himself and drop sitters at Vic park in the ressies but everyone knew he was like a young colt and would be a gun. His son is in the same category. Sadly, at this stage, Shaz appears to be a very vanilla, one paced footballer with no tricks and absolutely no physical presence. If he runs with the flight tomorrow and takes a mark or puts his head over the pill I will be happy to acknowledge it while at the same time wondering why this should be considered noteworthy when suburban footballers are expected to do it as a matter of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back