Team Selection, (OP Updated) in Shaz & Phillips - out Varcoe & Wills

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really find Blair's inclusion baffling and this sort of thing has happened a bit in recent times. A player is omitted. This means they did not play well enough to hold their place in the side. That is pretty simple, fair and understandable for the players and supporters. Then a player like Wills is withdrawn on account of injury so the omitted player is reinstated into the side.

Ok......so what does that mean? The omitted player didn't play well enough to hold their place in the side, BUT, they are actually better than every other possible alternative. Is that what it means? Does it mean that the omitted player wasn't actually too poor to hold their place in the side? Does it mean that one of the players who forced them out of the side in the first place was an 'auto-pick' once back from injury or had been so outstanding in the VFL thar they couldn't be denied a senior spot? I suppose that is a maybe so far as Phillips is concerned

I suspect the actual explanation is that the coach/selection committee don't see Blair as being as poor as a lot of us and see him more as a 'lower level performance' player along with a number of others. He can therefore stay in the side unless he is very bad but is considered by them just as likely to put in a good next game as any other player in that group. It appears that the players in this group are also considered a better proposition than current first year players. This also explains why players in this group get omitted; don't play VFL the next week or play poorly in the VFL; but then pop up again in the seniors at the first opportunity

We probably need most of the players in this group off our list.
Be careful. People will suggest you hate Collingwood and have a nasty agenda with regard to Blair.;)

"VFL" - there's the difference.

I can see where domus is coming from. There seems to be a fair dissonance between how Scharenberg's described by the masses and his AFL level performances. I think people tend to reel off his draft profile and instantly apply it to his AFL performances even though it hasn't been the case yet. Scharenberg has seemed to play pretty conservatively so far, getting loose for uncontested marks and then distributing the ball safely. I think this is fine for his development but then you have people saying he's an elite kick and intercept mark. He hasn't shown any of that at AFL level yet. In fact, he has seemed to turn the ball over a bit going for a riskier kick at AFL level.

This isn't a bash Scharenberg post, as I said I think he's coming along fine. However, he gets a lot of slack on this board where a player like Langdon gets next to none despite showing twice as much at AFL level (which he showed very early in also). A player like Scharenberg "uses the ball well" in the AFL where a player like Smith is simply "vanilla" despite both players using the ball very similarly at AFL level.

Schaz lack of pace and aggression/intensity are issues but given time I think he can overcome that through reading the play and gaining confidence in his body to hit in harder.

Langdon was great in his first year, not quite as good in his second, injured in his third and half the fourth.

That hardly equates to him stagnating. He deserves as much slack cut for him than others are cutting for Scharenburg. More in fact because he has quality exposed form at senior level.

There is room for both of them. longer term. If Scharenburg is the Enright, Langdon is the Harley or the Maxwell.

I really dont see the Enright comparisons. Schaz want to start getting on his bike a lot more to become a line breaking hb like Enright. Schaz plays much more like Josh Gibson.

I really dont see the Enright comparisons. Schaz want to start getting on his bike a lot more to become a line breaking hb like Enright. Schaz plays much more like Josh Gibson.

Wasn't my comparison to be honest. I just plagiarised somebody else.

I don't think he's like Langdon though .

With Varcoe out for the rest of the year it's a good opportunity for both of them to play alongside each other.

My 1st post so be kind.
Blair is definitely playing out time on his career. It seems to me that the non playing of the "young" players could be a way of Bucks trying to save his job and not looking to future too much.
Daicos looks good and he players ok too, is he ready??? We won't know unless he gets a game.

Ok that's 1 down.

Wasn't my comparison to be honest. I just plagiarised somebody else.

I don't think he's like Langdon though .

With Varcoe out for the rest of the year it's a good opportunity for both of them to play alongside each other.
Got to give him 2017 to get through his injuries

No one rated Tom Clurey last year but look at him now

I'm 95% sure i went to school with his dad, those eyes don't lie, if i'm right his dads name is Nathan, if i'm wrong he's closely related, Nathan was a cracking bloke, built like a brick shithouse but footy wasn't on our radar during year7 at Preston East tech, i was pretty good mates with Nathan Kirby and Kayle is him again.

Nathans cousin was also in my class, her first name escapes me right now but she was very intelligent, top of the class, she hated me lol, Nathan used to piss her off as well.
Well hello from and old east Preston tech boy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you'll keep knocking a young player, who has fought his way back from serious injuries over 3 years.
Then you'll casually jump on the wagon when/if he starts to star...
That sir, is a description of a fair-weather supporter.
Impatient supporter maybe.
Not unreasonable, IMO.
We spent a lot of draft capital on him, so several years later, it's not unreasonable to be impatient, surely.

Jesus there's a lot of hate out there for a bloke who has played 9 games of AFL and has had three serious injuries to get over in his first 4 years. There is no doubt in my mind that Shaz will come good if he gets a decent crack at consistent senior footy.

He's already shown an ability to get to the right spots almost right off the bat (probably the hardest skill for young players to get their head around early on in their careers) and he generally uses the ball as well as can be expected, given the general malaise that had enveloped our game plan for the past few years (especially when it comes to the spread and players further up the ground working to present options for the bloke with the ball).

My 1st post so be kind.
Blair is definitely playing out time on his career. It seems to me that the non playing of the "young" players could be a way of Bucks trying to save his job and not looking to future too much.
Daicos looks good and he players ok too, is he ready??? We won't know unless he gets a game.

Ok that's 1 down.
Agreed, and welcome/good luck here. :huh:

My 1st post so be kind.

Ok that's 1 down.

Your point is logical Aussie pie........unfortunately logic has no place on bigfooty.

Welcome mate........don't take it too serious here........I agree with you Blair shouldn't have got a reprieve after last weeks performance.

A lot of Preston east tech boys went to college ,that big one in Coburg mainly.
I was only fortunate enough to spend the one year at PET as my parents couldn't afford the fees, probably half a year when you factor in wagging, seriously though i went to a lot of schools and if there was a bigger s**t dump of a school in Victoria i haven't heard of it.

Jesus there's a lot of hate out there for a bloke who has played 9 games of AFL and has had three serious injuries to get over in his first 4 years. There is no doubt in my mind that Shaz will come good if he gets a decent crack at consistent senior footy.

He's already shown an ability to get to the right spots almost right off the bat (probably the hardest skill for young players to get their head around early on in their careers) and he generally uses the ball as well as can be expected, given the general malaise that had enveloped our game plan for the past few years (especially when it comes to the spread and players further up the ground working to present options for the bloke with the ball).
No hate-just contrary opinions on his football ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back