Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
Have to say I'm absolutely fuming about the team selection this week.

How the hell does Nick Hind get back in the team after one week out?? This is a season in which we have 40 blokes out there in Noosa busting their guts to get in the side, this guy has had about two months in the team doing nothing and finally gets dropped and then comes back in after ONE WEEK?!

Not to mention it's to replace a midfielder in Phillips and then we get slaughtered in the midfield.

Sorry but I think this is probably the worst piece of team selection I've seen. How do we expect guys to keep trying to get into the side when a player that has proven himself not up to it slots straight back in while guys like Parker, Roberton, Bytel etc are busting a gut to get into the team and prove themselves.

NOT TO MENTION that it seems like Dunstan was available??? Sorry but we got SLAUGHTERED in the midfield tonight and either Dunstan or Bytel would have probably won us the game.

Pathetic selection from the coaches tonight. Hang your heads.

Jade Buddha

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda
Have to say I'm absolutely fuming about the team selection this week.

How the hell does Nick Hind get back in the team after one week out?? This is a season in which we have 40 blokes out there in Noosa busting their guts to get in the side, this guy has had about two months in the team doing nothing and finally gets dropped and then comes back in after ONE WEEK?!

Not to mention it's to replace a midfielder in Phillips and then we get slaughtered in the midfield.

Sorry but I think this is probably the worst piece of team selection I've seen. How do we expect guys to keep trying to get into the side when a player that has proven himself not up to it slots straight back in while guys like Parker, Roberton, Bytel etc are busting a gut to get into the team and prove themselves.

NOT TO MENTION that it seems like Dunstan was available??? Sorry but we got SLAUGHTERED in the midfield tonight and either Dunstan or Bytel would have probably won us the game.

Pathetic selection from the coaches tonight. Hang your heads.
I get your frustration and agree selection has looked strange to say the least given some players form or lack of. It seems that we had a small forwards game plan tonight based on selection but it fell apart spectacularly and we got sucked in to playing the way they wanted it played.
I’m not sure why but we seem to have gone too far from our original style that to some degree got worked out. Our new chipping plan comes undone because our poor skills.

i didn't mind the selections. i did have a massive problem with the in-game strategy. particularly the match up for Kelly. Ross ain't it. Kelly if left to his own devices can seriously hurt you. But what Kelly has seriously struggled with over his career is coming up against big inside bodies. he struggled everytime he played Subi here for that reason.

so playing Ross on him just played into his hands. Steele should have been sent to him and let the others work through the midfield.

we got absolutely pantsed by what is a pretty inexperienced midfield.

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
I can cop the odd poor choice in hindsight, what grinds my gears is repeating obvious flaws in selection.

Nick Hind has become the new Mav Weller, he's now played 10 games this year and outside of that awesome Sydney game he has 3 goals from 9 games… this lust for speed that Ratts seems to have is making him pick players who are either badly out of form or just aren't up to the level to get it done regularly.

I'd be happy to see Hind build a bit of form on a wing or back flank in the VFL next year, but 2 or 3 good games in 10 this year says we need to try something else in the seniors.

Maybe Carlisle is a naughty boy or is disruptive, but last week we were clearly short a KPD, to not rectify this against west coast was criminal… Joyce or Battle in defence would have been better than watching a medium like Wilkie get destroyed by some of the biggest units in the comp.

We look like we're trying to play the game plan has been used against us now, but we don't have the foot skills to comfortably execute this multiple switch, control the ball tempo footy.

If Carlisle was good enough to be an emergency, the match committee should wear that loss… and as a result our season is going down the toilet.

Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda
GWS, a team much closer to a flag than us, has the guts to drop their captain. They’re not pretending he’s injured, he’s dropped because his form doesn’t warrant his inclusion in the team.
Being captain should NOT be automatic inclusion into a team. Being captain means you hold yourself to higher standards, it does not mean you get a free pass.

Browny2Carlisle

Premiership Player
May 2, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
GWS, a team much closer to a flag than us, has the guts to drop their captain. They’re not pretending he’s injured, he’s dropped because his form doesn’t warrant his inclusion in the team.
Being captain should NOT be automatic inclusion into a team. Being captain means you hold yourself to higher standards, it does not mean you get a free pass.
Yep. Feel like since Geary returned to defence since he was s**t up forward, Clark has been a bit in no man's land. Then yesterday when Clark was given a role in the midfield he stars again

Dupree73

Draftee
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hi guys,
this is my first time posting but it was either this, ring SEN or stew all day. I need to vent and unfortunately I think I'm in sacred cow territory.
Jarryn Geary. Is this the right place or is there another thread dedicated to him. Hind, Wilkie(was mentioned by Ratten as a leader in post match.I naerly did a Terry Wallace and spewed up) and Kent are clearly not up to it but they are not the captain.

Firstly I will say that there was a window in his career that he was a great shutdown player who used his cardio, speed, concentration and strong will to put to sleep the best small forwards, make it to contests that others couldn't physically or willfully and lead the way with his proffesionalism and character. Unfortunately with all that came the horrific skills and obvious self doubt with ball in hand. I have watched this situation with interset over the years to see if he could harness his off field obsessiveness to improve these shortcomings and for moments there has been signs of assuredness and high intentions to use the ball creativelly and assertively. BUT. Sadly they have been far and few between and there has been a rapid descent from a very low starting point over the last 3-4 seasons.

I am at the stage now that I am in high anxiety every time he comes into camera shot.When manned up on opposition with ball coming into his area his previously one and only strong AFL standard skill set is sadly no longer available to him. Generally more often than not he gives a free kick away (a big sign that a shutdown player is beyond it), gets outmarked, goes to ground in the contest or leaves his man to effect another contest but fails to do so leaving his man alone and him on the ground again watching from the grass possibly striking the ground with frustration at the cruelty of failed defensive ambitions. This generally repeats itself a couple of times a quarter. Young impressionable teamates look on. Opposition players and coaches look on. Coaches and selectors?

Then there is the 2020 Geary with ball in hand. I'm not sure how many possesions he has had this year but very few of them would apppear to be visualy in the hands of a strong confident leader with the intent to steady the ship in choppy waters and create a strong, coersive and predictable link in the teams ball movement*i would say attack but you are always truely in defense until Geary has safely moved the ball to a teamate. Confidence and intent are things that are infectious on a football field, especially in defense, more so a captain.

Now to the execution and beleive me this has cost us many games this year. You could watch the last five minutes of all of our close losses this year and one thing is striking. When the pressure is at its highest our captain butchers the ball not only with skill shortcomings but a panicked mindset. I imagine his inner voice screaming "DON'T
WANT IT" as he slams the ball in a under 10 type manner with eyes closed and head down. It's horrific to watch over and over again, week after week. Forwards seperate from their man and make rehearsed movements just to watch their well studied opponent identify it as Geary and make up their movement based on reading the ball off the subskilled, panicked boot of the ball owner. repeat. ball owner. Young impressionable teamates look on. Opposition players and coaches look on. Coaches and selectors?

All of this would be OK if it was under 10 football were his character traits and having a go was all that matters. Unfortunately it aint and we have one game to go to get into the finals. Does anyone think that Carlisle or Savage replacing Geary wouldn't make a more assured and positive team. It really is nothing personal. Just observations. I see with interset GWS have just dropped their captain due to poor performances. A strong statement needed to be made is the reasoning. Do we have the people at the helm to make strong decisions based on facts and evidence or are feelings and sentimentallity going to keep us chained to mediocrity. At best Geary is a so/so spiritual leader who after getting chaired off after his 200th should have taken one for the team. Surely this the only conclusion an honest self assesment can come to and pass on the batten before he drags the entire next generation into a well below par performance of mindset and execution.Young impressionable teamates look on. Opposition players and coaches look on. Coaches and selectors?
*i would say crowds both opposition and supporter and the energy/atmosphere they create look on but unfortunately.
maybe crowds are back next year but we won't have to worry about the Geary factor next year.

sauce_head

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 24, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
I can cop the odd poor choice in hindsight, what grinds my gears is repeating obvious flaws in selection.

Nick Hind has become the new Mav Weller, he's now played 10 games this year and outside of that awesome Sydney game he has 3 goals from 9 games… this lust for speed that Ratts seems to have is making him pick players who are either badly out of form or just aren't up to the level to get it done regularly.

I'd be happy to see Hind build a bit of form on a wing or back flank in the VFL next year, but 2 or 3 good games in 10 this year says we need to try something else in the seniors.

Maybe Carlisle is a naughty boy or is disruptive, but last week we were clearly short a KPD, to not rectify this against west coast was criminal… Joyce or Battle in defence would have been better than watching a medium like Wilkie get destroyed by some of the biggest units in the comp.

We look like we're trying to play the game plan has been used against us now, but we don't have the foot skills to comfortably execute this multiple switch, control the ball tempo footy.

If Carlisle was good enough to be an emergency, the match committee should wear that loss… and as a result our season is going down the toilet.

it was so obvious with Carlisle. I was texting friends Wednesday saying no Carlisle bring the Eagles right back into it.

sauce_head

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 24, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hi guys,
this is my first time posting but it was either this, ring SEN or stew all day. I need to vent and unfortunately I think I'm in sacred cow territory.
Jarryn Geary. Is this the right place or is there another thread dedicated to him. Hind, Wilkie(was mentioned by Ratten as a leader in post match.I naerly did a Terry Wallace and spewed up) and Kent are clearly not up to it but they are not the captain.

Firstly I will say that there was a window in his career that he was a great shutdown player who used his cardio, speed, concentration and strong will to put to sleep the best small forwards, make it to contests that others couldn't physically or willfully and lead the way with his proffesionalism and character. Unfortunately with all that came the horrific skills and obvious self doubt with ball in hand. I have watched this situation with interset over the years to see if he could harness his off field obsessiveness to improve these shortcomings and for moments there has been signs of assuredness and high intentions to use the ball creativelly and assertively. BUT. Sadly they have been far and few between and there has been a rapid descent from a very low starting point over the last 3-4 seasons.

I am at the stage now that I am in high anxiety every time he comes into camera shot.When manned up on opposition with ball coming into his area his previously one and only strong AFL standard skill set is sadly no longer available to him. Generally more often than not he gives a free kick away (a big sign that a shutdown player is beyond it), gets outmarked, goes to ground in the contest or leaves his man to effect another contest but fails to do so leaving his man alone and him on the ground again watching from the grass possibly striking the ground with frustration at the cruelty of failed defensive ambitions. This generally repeats itself a couple of times a quarter. Young impressionable teamates look on. Opposition players and coaches look on. Coaches and selectors?

Then there is the 2020 Geary with ball in hand. I'm not sure how many possesions he has had this year but very few of them would apppear to be visualy in the hands of a strong confident leader with the intent to steady the ship in choppy waters and create a strong, coersive and predictable link in the teams ball movement*i would say attack but you are always truely in defense until Geary has safely moved the ball to a teamate. Confidence and intent are things that are infectious on a football field, especially in defense, more so a captain.

Now to the execution and beleive me this has cost us many games this year. You could watch the last five minutes of all of our close losses this year and one thing is striking. When the pressure is at its highest our captain butchers the ball not only with skill shortcomings but a panicked mindset. I imagine his inner voice screaming "DON'T
WANT IT" as he slams the ball in a under 10 type manner with eyes closed and head down. It's horrific to watch over and over again, week after week. Forwards seperate from their man and make rehearsed movements just to watch their well studied opponent identify it as Geary and make up their movement based on reading the ball off the subskilled, panicked boot of the ball owner. repeat. ball owner. Young impressionable teamates look on. Opposition players and coaches look on. Coaches and selectors?

All of this would be OK if it was under 10 football were his character traits and having a go was all that matters. Unfortunately it aint and we have one game to go to get into the finals. Does anyone think that Carlisle or Savage replacing Geary wouldn't make a more assured and positive team. It really is nothing personal. Just observations. I see with interset GWS have just dropped their captain due to poor performances. A strong statement needed to be made is the reasoning. Do we have the people at the helm to make strong decisions based on facts and evidence or are feelings and sentimentallity going to keep us chained to mediocrity. At best Geary is a so/so spiritual leader who after getting chaired off after his 200th should have taken one for the team. Surely this the only conclusion an honest self assesment can come to and pass on the batten before he drags the entire next generation into a well below par performance of mindset and execution.Young impressionable teamates look on. Opposition players and coaches look on. Coaches and selectors?
*i would say crowds both opposition and supporter and the energy/atmosphere they create look on but unfortunately.
maybe crowds are back next year but we won't have to worry about the Geary factor next year.
There are a few that we need to replace. Depth not quite there yet.
On balance, I think we need Geary arranging the back line as without him we look (more) disorganized.

I have to say that Kent and Ross are higher on my rant this than Geary!

(who’d be an AFL footballer hey?!)

Dupree73

Draftee
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah, I know. I usually reserve my rants to the wife and dog and do feel a bit unsupportive....but.
Just can't see how in any capacity Geary can organise,critique or inspire let alone be taken seriously down there when he adds so much uncertainty and chaos with skill errors and outright negative, unconfident energy. Even as a non playing coach I don't see how a confident functional player could take instruction from him.. Running coach? maybe?
I still think Shane Savage was about to develop into a B to B+ player in the last qurter of his career and we are not going to find out. His attack on the ball and player was reaching the levels of his ambitious and instictive play with the ball. I think he would add nicely to the teams overall mobillity and positive ball use. His aggresion for the contest one on one and also to adding extra number to the contest was getting to a very solid AFL level.
Unfotunately for all this to reap rewards he'd need to be playing week in week out with the developing back line and time is running out this year.
*don't get me started on Acres.

Dupree73

Draftee
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
There are a few that we need to replace. Depth not quite there yet.
On balance, I think we need Geary arranging the back line as without him we look (more) disorganized.

I have to say that Kent and Ross are higher on my rant this than Geary!

(who’d be an AFL footballer hey?!)
Interesting.
I rate Ross. I don't know what to make of Kent. Just another one who seems infected with the negative don't make a mistake mindset spreading through the group minute to minute. Would like to see more of the attack on the ball and man that we saw when he made assertive contact with Worpel last week. More body contact pressure than arm waving and containment pressure. On this count I think Parker is ahead of him. Think its between the ears with Parker and if he played 10 games next to a Roughead/Hodge type you'd realise the exciting, aggresive, unpredictable talent that we have.

Wintle

Debutant
Aug 1, 2017
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hi guys,

Great post and I couldn't agree more.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
Hi guys,

On current form - if he wasn't captain I'd still pick him in front of Ben Long.

Dupree73

Draftee
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
On current form - if he wasn't captain I'd still pick him in front of Ben Long.
It's so funny how we see things differently isn't it. I see long as a young developing player with massive potential. On any measure I see him performing better than Geary. He is an excellent mark who is only just really realising how easy the game can be for him and not a complex, *ing puzzle which Geary makes it out to be. As he gets more confident in himself, his teamates and his place in the competition I think we'll see a beauty. As I said his marking is great and assured. Excellent speed and evasive skills. Tackiling and physicallity is already elite and he has the knack (touch wood) of hurting the opposition rather than himself(see Geary) physically. He can butcher the ball and make wrong decisions but has also shown in the right team headspce and energy can be ellectrifying with fast, sharp, penetrating runs and A grade creative/devastating ball use. He is also more than handy around goal and I hope that as he and the team develops he is used up forward when things are stagnating. I think potentially he could be a real game breaker.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
It's so funny how we see things differently isn't it. I see long as a young developing player with massive potential. On any measure I see him performing better than Geary. He is an excellent mark who is only just really realising how easy the game can be for him and not a complex, ******ing puzzle which Geary makes it out to be. As he gets more confident in himself, his teamates and his place in the competition I think we'll see a beauty. As I said his marking is great and assured. Excellent speed and evasive skills. Tackiling and physicallity is already elite and he has the knack (touch wood) of hurting the opposition rather than himself(see Geary) physically. He can butcher the ball and make wrong decisions but has also shown in the right team headspce and energy can be ellectrifying with fast, sharp, penetrating runs and A grade creative/devastating ball use. He is also more than handy around goal and I hope that as he and the team develops he is used up forward when things are stagnating. I think potentially he could be a real game breaker.
Like Longy - does a lot of good things but the fact of the matter is that he doesn't find the ball that often and last night was another example. He's not a stopper but doesn't provide heaps of drive either.

ATM he's just another HBF - and we've got a few DMac, Jimmy, Savage etc all with some good traits but none a real game breaker

Dupree73

Draftee
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Like Longy - does a lot of good things but the fact of the matter is that he doesn't find the ball that often and last night was another example. He's not a stopper but doesn't provide heaps of drive either.

ATM he's just another HBF - and we've got a few DMac, Jimmy, Savage etc all with some good traits but none a real game breaker
birth certificate(potential), health and surname is what sepetaes him from those guys. Would have all four before the captain.

Masquerade

All Australian
Mar 5, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think I had a post earlier in the year outlining that we just aren’t picking enough players who can run though the midfield. It’s all just back pockets and small forwards. It’s gotten worse since Gresh got injured and we dropped Bytel. And now we’re going in a key defender a short too :rolleyes:

It looks like Ratten’s original plan was found out and he hasn’t been able to adapt yet. Hopefully he can over pre-season because, if not, our early season form will be seen as an aberration.

It's a mystery to me how Hind after being almost invisible in games recently, got re-selected over Phillips or Marsh who at least will get some of the ball.. even Byrnes or Bytel would have done better I reckon. Some strange stuff going on up there in Noosa

That was a strange decision. Got dropped after some poor games and then brought back in off the back of no games played. Very surprising. That, and of course, the Carlisle decision.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda

Just my opinion, but I believe Gears is literally clogging up the works down back, and it would have some effect on Longy, as well as his suspension.
The whole back line functioned better when Gears was a defensive forward and Jake was at CHB.

Sep 22, 2015
Hovering above you...
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Fulham
We haven't had selection integrity for years now, and it continues.

We have never dropped a leader in terms of poor performances in a row, or after a game that we have been built up to be season defining over the last 3 years.

You look around the league and top teams are doing it, while we still persist with the same leadership group who continue to joke on the big occasion and continue to be reward with games.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
We haven't had selection integrity for years now, and it continues.

We have never dropped a leader in terms of poor performances in a row, or after a game that we have been built up to be season defining over the last 3 years.

You look around the league and top teams are doing it, while we still persist with the same leadership group who continue to joke on the big occasion and continue to be reward with games.
Agree.
But we just don't know what's going on behind the curtain up there in the hub.
Culture is a funny thing. You could say that Neald was justified to clean out the old culture at Melbourne, and Watters tried to do the same with us. But they went about it the wrong way, and destroyed everything in the process.

Our culture has been weak a piss for years, and I suspect those in charge now are conscious not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Dupree73

Draftee
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Agree.
But we just don't know what's going on behind the curtain up there in the hub.
Culture is a funny thing. You could say that Neald was justified to clean out the old culture at Melbourne, and Watters tried to do the same with us. But they went about it the wrong way, and destroyed everything in the process.

Our culture has been weak a piss for years, and I suspect those in charge now are conscious not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
How lucky was Brisbane to get Hodge for two years. Is there anyone out there available for us?

Back