Team Mgmt. 2017 Team selections, injuries and availability

So you're probably aware of the spreadsheets I keep posting everywhere. Well this will be something of a home for it I guess.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Ridley might come into consideration for that spot?
If he is that rarest of beasts - a tall(ish) who can defend smalls - it will be huge for us from a structural perspective as it would release McGrath.

He's beautifully balanced and reads it well so not impossible.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Ridley might come into consideration for that spot?
Maybe, Ridley I imagine will be fighting with Gleeson or Francis for that third tall spot. Woosha seems to err on the side of undersized defences from what this years seems to show.
Would rather see Redman on a wing. Plays plenty angry which I like.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Grizz is on the money with his selected time - I fully expect Mutch, Francis, Begley and Redman to play round 1 in 2018 - Francis' fitness is slowly getting to AFL standard, Mutch has shown enough in the VFL as has Begley, while Redman has been a slow burn in 2018 - I expect Begley and Mutch to debut this week.
Purely out of curiosity who would you drop for Redman and Mutch?

I completely forgot about Redman, I really like his aggression at the ball and his first instinct with ball in hand is straight ahead. Prototypical Wingman for today's AFL i reckon, but with Zaka and McGrath there its hard to slot him in.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
If we're speculating on a best 22 that includes some kids forcing their way into the side, and based on what we currently have, I think that round 1 could look like:

Redman Hartley Ambrose
McKenna Hurley Gleeson

Bellchambers Merrett Heppell
Parish Zaharakis McGrath

Laverde Daniher Stewart
Walla Hooker Fantasia

Langford Begley Goddard Myers

The gap between what Hartley has done and where he needs to get to is not that big. Guy McKenna summed it up on BTV yesterday when he said that Hartley is only at the start of his career. He's every chance of taking his game to another level so I wouldn't be writing him off. The advantage he has over everyone else is his height.

I would get Redman into the team ASAP but I accept that it won't necessarily occur. However, if someone is going to replace Baguley, and McGrath is going to move into the middle, it shouldn't and probably won't be one of the third talls like Ridley or Francis who don't have the speed and/or agility to genuinely play small. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to play McKenna as the small defender given that he'd be even more important at half back if McGrath was to graduate into the midfield. We also start to get too top heavy without anyone other than McGrath to go back and play that role. An advantage Redman has is that he is versatile - he's spent his VFL time split forward and back almost evenly and he's played stints on the wing.

I expect that Gleeson will continue to improve as he gets stronger and fitter. He's not as fashionable as the competition who were higher profile draftees but he's well in front at this stage and there is no reason to assume that he reached his ceiling.

The midfield is light but I don't see Parish and Merrett not being our two best midfielders by round 1 next year. That a third year player could be that high in the hierarchy is an indictment on our midfield but I thought that Merrett had established himself as our best midfielder by the end of his second year and Parish has had a better first two years so I don't think it is much of a stretch. I'd also say that our midfield hasn't really changed since 2015, so it's not like there is better competition, though it would be foolish to place any limitations on McGrath and I still think that Laverde is the second biggest talent on our list (behind Daniher) or he is at least equal second with McGrath.

The forwardline speaks for itself.

I didn't mean to have most of the grunt on the bench and for it to be 'one paced', it's more that Langford is not starting 18 as a mid or forward and neither is Begley and I always think of Goddard and Myers on the bench because to me they're utilities filling holes as the need arises (and it skews the starting 18 when I look at it and they are on the ground). Myers' strength would be essential for a midfield that light and in-experienced.

The thing that Langford and Begley have to their advantage in competition with Mutch is the ability to play forward. As good as Mutch has been in the VFL his season has been matched by Langford and Begley. While I'd continue to develop Laverde, Langford and Begley as midfielders these guys give us the flexibility to shuffle the team to get Walla and Fantasia up the ground if we need/want to (and the mids will need a rest) and give us the balance of bigger bodies to compliment the small midfield group. Goddard and Myers give us a similar flexibility with the defenders though the defence is a tad slow. It would be nice to find a Stewart for the backline and another quick utility who can be rotated between midfield and defence.

Last edited:

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
If we're speculating on a best 22 that includes some kids forcing their way into the side, and based on what we currently have, I think that round 1 could look like:

Redman Hartley Ambrose
McKenna Hurley Gleeson

Parish Zaharakis McGrath

Laverde Daniher Stewart
Walla Hooker Fantasia

The gap between what Hartley has done and where he needs to get to is not that big. Guy McKenna summed it up on BTV yesterday when he said that Hartley is only at the start of his career. He's every chance of taking his game to another level so I wouldn't be writing him off. The advantage he has over everyone else is his height.

I would get Redman into the team ASAP but I accept that it won't necessarily occur. However, if someone is going to replace Baguley, and McGrath is going to move into the middle, it shouldn't and probably won't be one of the third talls like Ridley or Francis who don't have the speed and/or agility to genuinely play small. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to play McKenna as the small defender given that he'd be even more important at half back if McGrath was to graduate into the midfield. We also start to get too top heavy without anyone other than McGrath to go back and play that role. An advantage Redman has is that he is versatile - he's spent his VFL time split forward and back almost evenly and he's played stints on the wing.

I expect that Gleeson will continue to improve as he gets stronger and fitter. He's not as fashionable as the competition who were higher profile draftees but he's well in front at this stage and there is no reason to assume that he reached his ceiling.

The midfield is light but I don't see Parish and Merrett not being our two best midfielders by round 1 next year. That a third year player could be that high in the hierarchy is an indictment on our midfield. I thought that Merrett had established himself as our best midfielder by the end of his second second and Parish has had a better first two years so I don't think it is much of a stretch. I'd also say that our midfield hasn't really changed since 2015 though, so it's not like there is better competition, though it would be foolish to place any limitations on McGrath and I still think that Laverde is the second biggest talent on our list (behind Daniher) or he is at least equal second with McGrath.

I didn't mean to have most of the grunt on the bench and for it to be 'one paced', it's more that Langford is not starting 18 as a mid or forward and neither is Begley and I always think of Goddard and Myers on the bench because to me they're utilities filling holes as the need arises (and it skews the starting 18 when I look at it and they are on the ground). Myers' strength would be essential for a midfield that light and in-experienced.

The thing that Langford and Begley have to their advantage in competition with Mutch is the ability to play forward. As good as Mutch has been in the VFL his season has been matched by Langford and Begley. While I'd continue to develop Laverde, Langford and Begley as midfielders these guys give us the flexibility to shuffle the team to get Walla and Fantasia up the ground if we need/want to (and the mids will need a rest) and give us the balance of bigger bodies to compliment the small midfield group. Goddard and Myers give us a similar flexibility with the defenders though the defence is a tad slow. It would be nice to find a Stewart for the backline and another quick utility who can be rotated between midfield and defence.
I can't argue with that team, I think that side shows we need another big inside mid. Idealy we would leave Langford or Myers out.

Sockeye

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
As an interesting exercise, I though it would be interesting to pick a preferred lineup for r1 2018 using the players only on our list now and who we expect to stay (not taking into account draft and trades. Didnt know where else to put it.

B McKenna Ambrose Francis
HB Goddard Hurley Gleeson
C Zaharakis Heppell McGrath
HF Laverde Daniher Stewart
F: Fantasia Hooker Walla
Foll T-Bell Zerrett Parish
Int Green Langford Begley Myers

Emg Mutch Colyer Ridley

The players in bold have played under 50 games (however McGrath, Parish, Walla and Fanta sort of play like they have anyway).
I really like the look of this lineup, its quite well balanced and I like the midfield now with Parish and McGrath surely offering more than Watson and Howlett have this year (love em both though). Myers gets a shot to establish himself with year under his belt after a long layoff. Mutch is waiting eagerly for his shot.
Hartley, and Bird are unlucky, while Ridley and Mutch havent played at all yet so maybe not straight away. I have lost patience with Colyer.

Phased out /retired
Watson
Kelly
Baguley
Howlett

Yep. You could take it a step further, RD.1 2019, when hopefully we are seriously challenging. Sometimes I think Dodoro is already all over this.

Delete Goddard and possibly Green and possibly Myers if he doesn't pull his finger out next year. What are we missing?

Running half back to play McGrath's current role. Not BJ. - Ridley? Redman? Morgan (not up to it)
Big Inside Mid contested ball winner - Laverde? Langford? Francis?

I know everyone wants McGrath in the middle, but I can see his value staying at half back for a few years. He reminds me so much of Luke Hodge, who totally dominated and controlled games from half back earlier in his career. A dominant running half back is almost the most important position now. Might be easier to find/recruit a decent wingman than move McGrath from a position he plays so well.

Bit disappointed in RC's article.
This was a transition year. We are still putting the list and game plan together and coming out of the ashes. There is more to a successful footy club than stats, personnel and talent. It also needs heart and soul. It also needs loyalty, self-discipline, leadership, mateship and sacrifice. Without these you won't win a flag. This is why this year panned out the way it did. We are building a succesful culture. Regardless of what happens from here in 2017 we are undoubtedly on the right track.

Why is Howlett getting a game and not Bird?
Because one of them will be on the list next year and one won't. Bird got plenty of opportunity last year. The coaches are having a good look at Howlett to see which one they will keep. Howlett has been a loyal Essendon man and deserves the opportunity to play for his career. Colyer is possibly in a similar position, but if he can find 2015 form, then there is our wingman.

Why hasn't Francis been playing? Clearly, not fit enough.
Laverde? Injured.
Langford? Got gifted plenty of games last year. Clearly has to harden up.

They have possibly got tickets on themselves. A year in the VFL to learn about the things mentioned above - loyalty, sacrifice etc. will do their long term careers the world of good.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I can't argue with that team, I think that side shows we need another big inside mid. Idealy if we get a Hopper type it would leave Langford or Myers out.

Based on this year we can only assume that it would be a problem for next year but I think it's more a problem being 12 months early for that group of players.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
As an interesting exercise, I though it would be interesting to pick a preferred lineup for r1 2018 using the players only on our list now and who we expect to stay (not taking into account draft and trades. Didnt know where else to put it.

B McKenna Ambrose Francis
HB Goddard Hurley Gleeson
C Zaharakis Heppell McGrath
HF Laverde Daniher Stewart
F: Fantasia Hooker Walla
Foll T-Bell Zerrett Parish
Int Green Langford Begley Myers

Emg Mutch Colyer Ridley

The players in bold have played under 50 games (however McGrath, Parish, Walla and Fanta sort of play like they have anyway).
I really like the look of this lineup, its quite well balanced and I like the midfield now with Parish and McGrath surely offering more than Watson and Howlett have this year (love em both though). Myers gets a shot to establish himself with year under his belt after a long layoff. Mutch is waiting eagerly for his shot.
Hartley, and Bird are unlucky, while Ridley and Mutch havent played at all yet so maybe not straight away. I have lost patience with Colyer.

Phased out /retired
Watson
Kelly
Baguley
Howlett

This to me looks like a very good approximation of what most of us fans would want to see all things going right. I think it will actually be pretty close to the real deal if we come into the season with few injuries. We still don't really know what to expect from Langford, Laverde, Francis, Begley and even Myers (which is a bit frustrating) but for most of the team I think we've got a fairly good idea of what to expect. Predictability isn't exciting but it does help with consistency.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon

Redman Hartley Ambrose
McKenna Hurley Gleeson

Parish Zaharakis McGrath

Laverde Daniher Stewart
Walla Hooker Fantasia

The midfield is light but I don't see Parish and Merrett not being our two best midfielders by round 1 next year. That a third year player could be that high in the hierarchy is an indictment on our midfield. I thought that Merrett had established himself as our best midfielder by the end of his second second and Parish has had a better first two years so I don't think it is much of a stretch. I'd also say that our midfield hasn't really changed since 2015 though, so it's not like there is better competition, though it would be foolish to place any limitations on McGrath and I still think that Laverde is the second biggest talent on our list (behind Daniher) or he is at least equal second with McGrath.

How sure are you Ridley can't play small?

I've never watched him with that in mind so don't have a view, but the concept is very attractive. He's a very smooth mover.

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

Redman Hartley Ambrose
McKenna Hurley Gleeson

Parish Zaharakis McGrath

Laverde Daniher Stewart
Walla Hooker Fantasia

It's a solid line-up and there is not much that I'd change.

Francis and Ridley could make a play for the positions held by either Ambrose and Gleeson. Ambrose is perhaps more at risk given he offers little offensively. I've suggested in the past that Ambrose might be an option to replace Baguley if he can play smaller.

Ideally I'd like a Langford or a Laverde to step-up and force Zaharakis to a half-forward flank. We lack size inside and those two are the most likely young players we have right now who can step-up and play inside. Unlikely to occur by the beginning of 2018 though.

Forward line is pretty set. Naturally you'd have those six plus guys like Zaharakis, Langford and Begley rotating.

There are 13 players in that 22 who can spend time in the midfield. That's a solid rotation. It lacks size but it contains no shortage of pace.

This team also identifies our two key weaknesses: inside midfielder and small defender. We have options to fill both positions on our list but there is no sure fire candidates to replace Baguley and Watson, respectively.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
How sure are you Ridley can't play small?

I've never watched him with that in mind so don't have a view, but the concept is very attractive. He's a very smooth mover.

Seriously, there are probably two separate questions.

Can he play small and be good enough to beat a Fantasia, Cyril or a Betts 1v1 rather than being fodder? I'm going to say definitely not next year and probably not in the long term.

Does he have the ability to play on smalls effectively with some protection? Next year is probably still a stretch but in the long term he probably can.

At the end of the day it comes down to pace and running power and I don't think Ridley has it. The only players on the list of options who have it are McGrath, McKenna, Redman and McNeice (who I forget about). I exclude McNeice at this stage as he still a rookie and wont necessarily be available.

Have added the 2016 selections spreadsheet to the bottom of the OP, for anyone who might be interested.

Purely out of curiosity who would you drop for Redman and Mutch?

I completely forgot about Redman, I really like his aggression at the ball and his first instinct with ball in hand is straight ahead. Prototypical Wingman for today's AFL i reckon, but with Zaka and McGrath there its hard to slot him in.

Redman for Kelly and Mutch for Colyer - I suspect Francis will play round 1 in 2018 but see Ridley as a better long-term prospect - Hurley and Ambrose will be the two tall defenders and the third tall will be a combination of Francis, Gleeson and Ridley - Think Ridley can play on mid-sized players, but not smalls.

I am confident that Grizz's team will have at least 19 or 20 players lining up in round 1 2018.

Last edited:

Killer_Mike

Premiership Player
Mar 31, 2017
Ghetto Extraordinary
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal,Knicks,Victory
B McGrath Ambrose Baguley

HB McKenna Hurley Francis

C Zaharakis Langford Heppell