Fremantle
Fremantle
B: Scott Thornton, Luke McPharlin, Antoni Grover
HB: Josh Head, Michael Johnson, Steven Dodd
C: Shaun McManus, Josh Carr, David Mundy
HF: Mark Johnson, Matthew Pavlich, Andrew Browne
F: Chris Mayne, Chris Tarrant, Robert Warnock
Foll: Aaron Sandilands, Ryan Crowley, Garrick Ibbotson
I/C (from): Jeff Farmer, Ryan Murphy, Paul Duffield, Byron Schammer, Kepler Bradley, Brock O’Brien, Brett Peake

In: Duffield, Bradley, McManus, Head, O'Brien, Murphy
Out: Dean Solomon (suspended), Rhys Palmer (general soreness), Clayton Hinkley

Melbourne
B: Matthew Whelan, Colin Garland, Matthew Warnock
HB: Chris Johnson, Paul Wheatley, Lynden Dunn
C: Cale Morton, Cameron Bruce, Simon Buckley
HF: Colin Sylvia, Matthew Bate, Aaron Davey
F: Paul Johnson, Brad Miller, Austin Wonaeamirri
Foll: Mark Jamar, Clint Bartram, Nathan Jones
I/C (from): Daniel Bell, Michael Newton, Shane Valenti, Stefan Martin, James McDonald, Jeff White, Adem Yze

In: Davey, McDonald, White, Yze
Out: Brad Green (hamstring)

Macca in. Rhys gets a rest!

Good to see Palmer getting a break, but gees, we'll be lucky to win any clearances this week.

None of those ins are particularly inspiring. Will be interesting to see who makes the final cut.

Pretty sure Schammer won't be out if they're giving Palmer a rest. Clearances will be the problem. Sandi's gonna have to do it all himself. Wonder if we'll play Farmer in the centre. Need some sort of pace in there.

Makes me wonder why Palmer wasn't rested last week? :confused:

O'Brien could be a handy in taking Peake's place...

Have a bad feeling we are in for a long afternoon on Sunday...

Perhaps he was ok before Geelong belted him in every contest?

He is fully fit from what i have been told. Plus he has copped bigger whoopings before. Either way i guess it means at the least Sunday will be a contest. Will be interesting to see how we go without Napalm in the middle. I cant even remember what it was like without him

He is fully fit from what i have been told. Plus he has copped bigger whoopings before. Either way i guess it means at the least Sunday will be a contest. Will be interesting to see how we go without Napalm in the middle. I cant even remember what it was like without him

He did very little at training yesterday, just jogged a little and some handball/reflex drills.

All aboard the McManus express!
act_TANK.jpg

Look at both teams - one thing in common - not hard to figure out what

Damn hard to tip any team that doesn't want to win

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Macca really needs to go at the end of the season, but....

... I just have this feeling he's gonna play an inspired pearler on Sunday. :D

No rhyme, reason or anything to remotely support it, just one of those optimistic hunches Freo supporters sometimes get.

Geez, i hope I'm right.

I would've included Webster before everyone except Kepler there.

It pains me to say this, being Brock's buddy and all, but his WAFL form does not warrant AFL selection. He shouldn't be playing because it sends a terrible message to him. "Yeah, we know you've been playing crap but it doesn't matter because you're young, we're not going too well and we're short on midfielders."

Despite how much you will all hate me for saying this, picking Macca sends a better message. Take off your blinkers for a sec and face the fact though. He tore it up for Old Easts last week and deserves a chance based on that performance. "Well done Shaun, you've proven that you have good form and fitness so you get a guernsey this week."

I know which message I'd rather send.

PS: First person who brings up the fact that Macca is old gets a bottle broken over their head. We know already!

We don't really have a lot left to select from at the moment - probably why Macca is in more than anything else

Webster - coming back from major knee surgery
Hasleby - season
Dunn - hamstring/back
Solomon - suspended
MCarr - retired
Palmer - general soreness
Headland - knee
Pratt - rookie
Hinkley - available
Black - shoulder
Campbell - suspended
Gilmore - migraines
Drum - injured?
Bell - retired
Smith - rookie
Mourish - rookie
Foster - season
Hayden - hamstring
Connelly - rookie

I would've included Webster before everyone except Kepler there.

It pains me to say this, being Brock's buddy and all, but his WAFL form does not warrant AFL selection. He shouldn't be playing because it sends a terrible message to him. "Yeah, we know you've been playing crap but it doesn't matter because you're young, we're not going too well and we're short on midfielders."

Despite how much you will all hate me for saying this, picking Macca sends a better message. Take off your blinkers for a sec and face the fact though. He tore it up for Old Easts last week and deserves a chance based on that performance. "Well done Shaun, you've proven that you have good form and fitness so you get a guernsey this week."

I know which message I'd rather send.

PS: First person who brings up the fact that Macca is old gets a bottle broken over their head. We know already!

I can remember 3-4 games over about the last 5-6 weeks wehere Brock has been named in the best for Peel.

He kicked 4 goals last week.
What more do you want?

McManus will not be playing next year. He's played two games and he was awful in the first of them...you're right, he deserves it :thumbsu:

I can remember 3-4 games over about the last 5-6 weeks wehere Brock has been named in the best for Peel.

He kicked 4 goals last week.
What more do you want?

McManus will not be playing next year. He's played two games and he was awful in the first of them...you're right, he deserves it :thumbsu:

I know that Brock kicked 4 last week, but he won't be in the team to kick goals. I doubt that he's even in Peel's team to kick goals. I remember reading that despite the goals his performance left a lot to be desired. And I haven't seen him named in the best for a while.

I want a good solid game of midfield dominance. Not just competence. Competent WAFL players don't make it in the AFL.

So what if Macca won't be playing next year? Do you seriously think that we should pick a young guy with unimpressive WAFL form over a guy who impressed in the WAFL?

Selections should be made on merit. When guys get picked who haven't done the work to deserve it they get big heads and realise that they don't even need to play well to be selected. I'm sure I've heard you bitching about how that attitude prevailed under CC. Mark Harvey could do the opposite this week and yet you're going to flame him for that too?

OK. I get it.

I'd say this would have to be the worst squad we have put on the park this year, obviously not all will play but the extended squad includes every "whipping boy" we have - Thornton, McManus, Ma Johnson, Peake, Schammer, Murphy. Not to mention Head, O'Brien, Bradley, Browne playing 2nd or 3rd game of year (but I am happy these guys are in the squad).

I only count about 10-12 whom I would say have proved themselves to be up to a "good" AFL standard and will/should play for us next year - McPharlin, Grover, Dodd, MiJohnson, Pav, Mayne, Tarrant, Sandilands, Crowley, Ibbo. Plus Mundy and Warnock if they don't get traded. Sad state of affairs.

And there's still no decent money to be had at the bookies. Geez, how crap do we have to be?

We're shorter priced than Geelong this weekend.

I know that Brock kicked 4 last week, but he won't be in the team to kick goals. I doubt that he's even in Peel's team to kick goals. I remember reading that despite the goals his performance left a lot to be desired. And I haven't seen him named in the best for a while.

I want a good solid game of midfield dominance. Not just competence. Competent WAFL players don't make it in the AFL.

So what if Macca won't be playing next year? Do you seriously think that we should pick a young guy with unimpressive WAFL form over a guy who impressed in the WAFL?

Given he position we're currently in, yes. The experience he gets now will be worth a lot more to the club in 3 or 4 years than the experience we give Macca.
I know what you're saying, but at the same time I don't think getting experience in the WAFL will do blokes like Hinkley much good in the long term.

TBH, I would have put Kepler in the midfield to see what he can do. He would play a similar sort of game to Macca anyway.

Fremantle
B: Scott Thornton, Luke McPharlin, Antoni Grover
HB: Josh Head, Michael Johnson, Steven Dodd
C: Shaun McManus, Josh Carr, David Mundy
HF: Mark Johnson, Matthew Pavlich, Andrew Browne
F: Chris Mayne, Chris Tarrant, Robert Warnock
Foll: Aaron Sandilands, Ryan Crowley, Garrick Ibbotson
I/C (from): Jeff Farmer, Ryan Murphy, Paul Duffield, Byron Schammer, Kepler Bradley, Brock O’Brien, Brett Peake

In: Duffield, Bradley, McManus, Head, O'Brien, Murphy
Out: Dean Solomon (suspended), Rhys Palmer (general soreness), Clayton Hinkley

I see us ending up lineing up like this

B: Thornton Mcpharlin Grover
HB:Head Johnson Dodd
C: Mcmanus Carr Mundy
HF:Johnson Pavlich Browne
FF:Mayne Tarrant Warnock
R Sandilands Crowley Ibbo
B: O'Brien Bradley Schammer Farmer

it's either O'Brien or Peake

Remove this Banner Ad