F: Voss, Gehrig, Milne
FOLL: Ackland, Harvey, Dal Santo
I/C: Blake, Peckett, Rix, Schwarze
EMG: McQualter, Murray, Sweeney
IN: Rix
OUT: Thompson (back)
NEW: Michael Rix (Coburg Tigers)

Field umpires: Vozzo, Schmitt, Ellis

At last we get to see if Rix can live up to all the hype.

Check out Saintsational - some posters there would have you believe he is the messiah, midas, and superman all rolled into one. The hype on Nathan Van Berlo is modest by comparison.

I would like to see him succeed (I hope he does do extremely well) but I would be happy if he can just give a contest in the ruck and get maybe half a dozen touches on the field. To expect any more is ludicrous.

This selection leaves Blake free to tag Goodes. This worked a treat in the elimination final 2004, Blake blanketed Goodes and contributed well himself.
Roos will have schooled on that and may have some counter options.

The Swans play a mix of tough uncompromising footy and the girly possession game. They go sideways to the wings / flanks then back to the other side and back again until they get a lead in the scoring zone. They are the most patient of all the clubs at doing this. We need to get our structures right to prevent them from playing their game. We need to turn it around and make them play our game.

StKildonan said:
SYDNEY v ST KILDA
IN: Rix
OUT: Thompson (back)
NEW: Michael Rix (Coburg Tigers)

I see it but I don't believe it. ;)

Hopefully he can have a good game and give us the boost that we need in the ruck. At the very least I just hope he has a red hot go. The danger of talking up a player for so many weeks is that some people out there will think he is better than he actually is. At least we know we're getting a guy that has done a very long apprenticeship and has far more experience than the usual debutant.

Good luck Rixy!

As for the match, I can't say I'm too confident. Might head down and watch it at the Social Club. It's easier to cope amongst your own.

Anyway, it is going to be GT's fault. If he plays well, people will say why wasn't he in earlier. If he doesn't play as well as most want to, people will say GT's put him in too early or too much waiting has disgraced him.

Again, I am no for nor against GT, but I see this as very very unfair.

bluejay said:
Anyway, it is going to be GT's fault. If he plays well, people will say why wasn't he in earlier. If he doesn't play as well as most want to, people will say GT's put him in too early or too much waiting has disgraced him.

Again, I am no for nor against GT, but I see this as very very unfair.

yeh i guess you got a point but this is the life of AFL coaches today, they will be judged on record and circumstances will be manipulated against them if their record is bad. im not a fan of GT at the moment, the way he has coached (if u can call it that) against the flood has been dispicable and we will go nowhere until we can rectify this crucial problem!
GO RIXY, show em wat ur made of!!!

nudgep said:
yeh i guess you got a point but this is the life of AFL coaches today, they will be judged on record and circumstances will be manipulated against them if their record is bad. im not a fan of GT at the moment, the way he has coached (if u can call it that) against the flood has been dispicable and we will go nowhere until we can rectify this crucial problem!
GO RIXY, show em wat ur made of!!!

Im heading up in a few hours to Sydney tonight. Can't say that Im too confident of a win.

Its been belting down rain all week in Sydney. Just what the Swans would want. Slow it down, playing keepings off etc.

Right into their hands

Big Ted said:
Im heading up in a few hours to Sydney tonight. Can't say that Im too confident of a win.

Its been belting down rain all week in Sydney. Just what the Swans would want. Slow it down, playing keepings off etc.

Right into their hands

It might not be a pretty match but I am quietly confident of a win.
The rain doesn't work in our favour, but it wont stop us grinding out a win.

I applaud you for making the trip, and anyone else who does.

I hope you get to celebrate hard and tell those Swannie supporters what a wuss their hero Hall is.

Cheers for that.... :)

Have packed the AFL Team Songs CD i nthe car. It shall be blearing "Oh when the Saints, go marching In" at record levels in the SCG carpark tonight ...

Im always worried about playing the Swans. Its no longer a secret hat we have trouble adjusting to a highly defensive game. Swans + Rain = likely trouble..

Big Ted said:
Cheers for that.... :)

Have packed the AFL Team Songs CD i nthe car. It shall be blearing "Oh when the Saints, go marching In" at record levels in the SCG carpark tonight ...

Im always worried about playing the Swans. Its no longer a secret hat we have trouble adjusting to a highly defensive game. Swans + Rain = likely trouble..

yeh we dont have the right coach who can outcoach the flood, hopefully hes learnt, god knows we come up against it enough. i have to admit, im in a highly lucrative tipping comp and i have tipped against the saints for the first time in a few years. one thing that consoles me about tonights game tho is if it rains as has been commented, ill always go back to one of our greatest wins in recent history, along with the adelaide qualifying one last yr, the 2004 semi at the G int he driving rain when we put the swans to rest with a thrashing...54 pts or sumthing. obviously on their own home turf itll be tough, but im confident if gehrig can outmuscle barry and kick a few goals and maxy takes care of hall we should get up. but in gehrig and halls current form theyr two big ifs...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back