Teammates that didn't like each other

Remove this Banner Ad

Akermanis and Leppitsch.

Brad Johnson and Aker perhaps ?
It could explain why Johnson has refused to pass to Aker on his own and instead tried kicking a goal and missed.I think Aker even wrote recently about greedy players who don't take the better option of passing to a teammate.He didn't name names or teams but I thought it might be a potshot at someone like Johnson.

Karl Norman and Laurence Angwin.. These two we're like the warner brother characters that used to clock on for work, fight, then clock off..

That Simon Cox and Scotty West story is an intriguing one. I haven't heard anything at all about it, but it sounds as though it was a considerably ugly one.

Steve Lawrence was simply an idiot. In 2000 he initiated a fight with Brad Scott when the team was coming onto the ground after the half-time break (against Port Adelaide), and you just knew that the bloke was a bad seed. Seems like he was the sort of bloke that just loved to make trouble.

I doubt that Peter Caven and Tony Lockett got on when they had that one season together at the swannies

strange to hear seen as Willo was the first to congratulate bucks after his brownlow win

I'm sure he still had a ton of respect for the bloke, obviously he just had a personality clash of sorts.

Haha I couldn't stop laughing when I read that. I remember Will Minson and Wayde Skipper punched on at inter club praccy match for the doggies, suppose they may not be on the best of terms but in saying that it was probably heat of the moment.
When Mark Jackson went to Melbourne, he decked Robbie Flower in an intraclub practice match. Every player from both sides wanted to have a go at him. :D

I'll never have any respect for Milburn after that incident, he is an absolute dog.

Seriously, get over it. Every player makes mistakes in their career that they regret. It was a terrible day for the club and Milburn in particular.

If you met Darren you would know he is probably one of the nicest, friendliest and humble person at the club. Has a lot of time for everyone.

Not a dog at all, and being a sniper? Please, one incident doesn't make you a sniper. People need to get over things that happened over 5 years ago.

Not sure about teamates, but some disputes between players and coaches became public knowledge over the years such as:

Shane Zantuck v Ron Barassi at Melbourne in 1981
Brad Hardie v Mick Malthouse at Footscray in 1986
Derek Kickett v Kevin Sheedy at Essendon in 1993
John McCarthy v Bernie Quinlan at Fitzroy in 1995
Corey McKernan v Dennis Pagan at North & Carlton in early 2000s

I worked for Shane for a few months and after he was on a Fox Footy show one night I asked him about it.
He said Barassi was into him from the second he got to the ground, by the time they went at it Shane had been toweled up on the ground and wanted to kill someone.

While on the Zantucks, Ty was hated at Essendon was there when he was traded to Essendon, some of the players came in to the shop after the trade (I was working at Zux in Essendon) and said "Gotta love Ty coming across, should get some free s**t out of him" McPhee replied with "Just hope we want have to talk to him

I worked for Shane for a few months and after he was on a Fox Footy show one night I asked him about it.
He said Barassi was into him from the second he got to the ground, by the time they went at it Shane had been toweled up on the ground and wanted to kill someone.

While on the Zantucks, Ty was hated at Essendon was there when he was traded to Essendon, some of the players came in to the shop after the trade (I was working at Zux in Essendon) and said "Gotta love Ty coming across, should get some free sh*t out of him" McPhee replied with "Just hope we want have to talk to him

Ty Zantuck seemed like a relatively quiet sort of bloke, I dont think Mcphee would need to worry about talking to him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have known about the Justin Murphy stories from his time at Geelong for a while now. Is very hard to justify online, but from my own perspective, (having met the bloke a few times, and generally found him to be an arrogant, rude prick.), I feel Scarlett was justified.

Murphy's efforts during his second stint at Carlton in '03 however, were a lot more deserving of a flogging instead. Just took Beaumont a year and a different club to do it ;)

Spot on about the indigenous boys not having any respect for him either. Remember having a few drinks with one bloke on an AFL list about 4 years ago, who referred to him as an Uncle Tom. Was a commonly held belief toward him that he would often go to the vilification authorities with fake racial vilification claims simply to get back at blokes who he didn't like, or belted him one during the game.

Back on topic - I think Heath Scotland's departure from the Pies ruffled a few feathers, whilst certainly in the last few years, Lance Whitnall's respect amongst the senior players at Carlton was to be questioned.

Not sure about teamates, but some disputes between players and coaches became public knowledge over the years such as:

Shane Zantuck v Ron Barassi at Melbourne in 1981
Brad Hardie v Mick Malthouse at Footscray in 1986
Derek Kickett v Kevin Sheedy at Essendon in 1993
John McCarthy v Bernie Quinlan at Fitzroy in 1995
Corey McKernan v Dennis Pagan at North & Carlton in early 2000s

Mark Zanotti and Robert Shaw at Fitzroy in the early 90's. The threat of fisticuffs was in the air but not 100% sure if it came to that

Brad Johnson and Aker perhaps ?
It could explain why Johnson has refused to pass to Aker on his own and instead tried kicking a goal and missed.I think Aker even wrote recently about greedy players who don't take the better option of passing to a teammate.He didn't name names or teams but I thought it might be a potshot at someone like Johnson.

Potshot at a few Dogs players, Johnson being the most obvious example in the North game. Must have worked cos next week we came out and played the sort of self-sacrificing team oriented game we should always play.

Hmm apparently Jordan Mcmahon wasn't too popular whilst he was at the Bulldogs ..

I heard Buckley yesterday say on 3AW that one of his ex-teammates was scathing about Mcmahon and his attack on the ball (or lack thereof) ..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back