Teammates that didn't like each other

Remove this Banner Ad

Neitz didn't like Robbo for about 5 seconds when he got iced in the back.

I remember a great one from Kenny Judge not being liked at Hawthorn for ploughing a pigs field.

Spent an interesting day listening to the opinions of Tom Hafey regarding his Collingwood team in 1980. It was when the VFL reserves comp used to play a game on Sunday's which was broadcast by CH 7. Hafey and some bloke I didnt recognise were sitting in an empty corporate box at Moorabbin watching the game and either didnt know or didnt care that their conversation was clearly audible to my friend and I, having a kick of the footy under the Grandstand. Tommy was far from impressed with his list and proceeded to shitcan virtually every player on it. Because I was so shocked at what he was saying I remember his words exactly. Manassa was a " Fat F...... lazy C... who should have been sacked years ago" Moore was " More interested in readin' books than playin' footy not my type of bloke", Kink was " A f.....en show pony who likes belting blokes when they are not looking" Oborne had " No f...en ablity but was trier. Wouldnt get a game anywhere else" and Young " Should have stayed at South, their no good and neither is he"

Hafey has a mythical reputation as a real players man. Ask some bblokes who have played under him and you get another story.

Spent an interesting day listening to the opinions of Tom Hafey regarding his Collingwood team in 1980. It was when the VFL reserves comp used to play a game on Sunday's which was broadcast by CH 7. Hafey and some bloke I didnt recognise were sitting in an empty corporate box at Moorabbin watching the game and either didnt know or didnt care that their conversation was clearly audible to my friend and I, having a kick of the footy under the Grandstand. Tommy was far from impressed with his list and proceeded to shitcan virtually every player on it. Because I was so shocked at what he was saying I remember his words exactly. Manassa was a " Fat F...... lazy C... who should have been sacked years ago" Moore was " More interested in readin' books than playin' footy not my type of bloke", Kink was " A f.....en show pony who likes belting blokes when they are not looking" Oborne had " No f...en ablity but was trier. Wouldnt get a game anywhere else" and Young " Should have stayed at South, their no good and neither is he"

Hafey has a mythical reputation as a real players man. Ask some bblokes who have played under him and you get another story.

Doesn't surprise me, in various talks at luncheons over the years I have found him to be very opinionated and arrogant. Can't knock his fitness though, the blokes nearly 80 and he does 200 push-ups every day!

When Mitch Thorp was first drafted to Hawthorn, he was talking to Grant Birchall and asked him what number he was drafted, clearly Throp was the higher number, Birchall responded by asking him how many AFL games he has played and was not impressed. Thorp has the reputation as being extremely arrogant and throughout his junior footy days was not popular with the opposition or his team-mates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide in the early to mid 2000's had many incidents of team-mates not getting along and obviously we know of some of them (the Mcleod-Edwards fiasco comes to mind) however there have been plenty more in the days of Laurence Angwin and others that weren't reported.

I would be very surprised if Shane Strempel was thought highly of by any of the Brisbane Bears players, considering they beat the s**t out of him with the support of his coach Robert Walls. Honestly, if you liked the bloke you would have simply stepped into the ring and put a stop to the horrific treatment the bloke was getting, but obviously none of the players did respect him because the treatment continued with all of the players watching on.

i've heard this sort of stuff about thorp quite a bit. sounds like a humble bloke, how many games has he played by the way? cant remember hearing his name much and with all the kids getting a game at the hawks he must be pretty annoyed at having missed the boat.
Non-Issue, hes struggling at VFL level due to his pre-season surgery, im in favour of just giving the kid a year off to let him get his body right for next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back