Teammates that didn't like each other

Remove this Banner Ad

A few of Mark Jackson’s team mates didn’t!
Jacko openly admitted to taking a few of them out as they were competition for his spot as he stated on open mike

There were also some he just didn't like. Steven Smith and Gerald Healy from memory were two Melbourne teammates he absolutely couldn't stand.

Then again, by all accounts he got along ok with everyone at Geelong including Hafey. Different guy.

I think in Chapman's book he mentions that Josh Hunt is the only ex-teammate (from Geelong at least) that he stays in close contact with. Haven't read it for a while, but I think he talks about the Steve Johnson 'feud' being overblown: just two very different personalities clashing from time to time. Not hard to see how that would have manifested itself: the underachieving Cats of the mid-2000s practically driving Chapman insane, while Johnson was running amok off the field and throwing his potential down the drain.

Credit to Johnson, he made an extraordinary turnaround with his career hanging in the balance, following his club imposed suspension to start 2007, but early impressions last with this sort of stuff and I'm sure the famously blunt Chapman would have struggled to bite his tongue when Johnson would have one of his regular careless brain fades even after Johnson had become a bona fide star.

Johnson said the same in his book - puts it down to just being two different blokes and says that a few of Chappy’s sprays were warranted but took exception to some of the latter exchanges they had when Johnson felt he had started to pull his finger out, and some of the acts Chapman labelled selfish Johnson didn’t really see it the same way.

Not true, Tim Kelly was actually quite well liked in the 2 years he was there.... He remarked to a lot of the guys how much he will miss them, it was simply a matter of circumstance for him leaving, because he needs help with two of his kids possibly being on the spectrum... It certainly wasn’t a anti-Geelong thing.....To add another one to this topic, although it’s probably been raised before, but Mark Blake was seriously disliked by most of the club after the 2007 GF, the players felt he was selfish in the way he handled being dropped & made it all about him, when it should of been about the team....The clincher being him basically saying either King goes or I go. He really riled up some guys after that, with Scarlett & Mooney at the forefront.

That is an interesting one. I went to a few B&Fs around that time, including 2007, and have no recollection of any Geelong player being a knob except Steven King. Comfortably ahead of all competition. Scarlett has the reputation of being surly, but he was more "nah mate just heading off soon" but wasn't with any nastiness. King just gave you a spiel about how he was an ex-Captain and two time Best and Fairest winner (I'm not joking), which considering he'd just played in two premierships in a week was weird.

Always thought Blake got treated unfairly in that whole process. It wasn't him that leaked the story about him cracking the shits, it was a fair way removed, and really every player who gets dropped for a Grand Final is disappointed. Never understood the angst towards him to be honest. He was absolutely fine to meet and didn't seem to be a leper to teammates.

Two players i have met and that are absolute knobs. Scarlett and dangerfield. Scarlett in particular has no hesitation telling little kids to fu** off if they ask for an autograph

People forget when the review was done at the end of 2006 almost the entire playing list told Scarlett they hated him.

I'm guessing there might have been something to it.

No idea with Dangerfield.

I have inside info that everyone who has ever met him hates Adam Treloar.

People forget when the review was done at the end of 2006 almost the entire playing list told Scarlett they hated him.

I'm guessing there might have been something to it.

No idea with Dangerfield.

I was under the impression they didn’t tell him they hated him but they didn’t like his attitude towards the players who weren’t his good mates and he listened to it and adjusted.

On Blake, I don’t think he was hated by his teammates I just don’t think he was a member of the boys club. I remember on of their mad mondays during the glory years he showed up wearing trackies and a shirt, kind of illustrated how he wasn’t into the whole drinking buddies thing

Adam Treloar and Nathan Buckleys wife

0*t2d4mpnKX1kl1QK4.jpg

Tania - "I dont know Adam Treloar, ive nevet me or had any contact with him but..Im sorry I cant go on."
Eddie - "It's ok, your tears say more than real evidence ever could"

Johnson said the same in his book - puts it down to just being two different blokes and says that a few of Chappy’s sprays were warranted but took exception to some of the latter exchanges they had when Johnson felt he had started to pull his finger out, and some of the acts Chapman labelled selfish Johnson didn’t really see it the same way.
Steve Johnson wrote a book?

Was it a picture book?

The bloke is not going to write a thesis on string theory but he is quite articulate and comes across as generally quite self aware and had a footy IQ the equal of just about anyone to play the game. He was simply lazy and liked a drink before he got himself into action.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steve Johnson wrote a book?
"Wrote"

the book itself said:
Steve Johnson - or Stevie J, as he's known to the many who who love him - is the mercurial genius who was at the heart of three Geelong premierships. His 2007 season in particular is one of the great football stories and one that will be long remembered - he went from being arrested for drunk and disorderly conduct at the start of the year to Norm Smith medallist at the end. He's always been a crowd favourite at Geelong, despite or maybe because of his can't-look-away inconsistency in front of goal. And fans of other clubs have really warmed to him as well, because of his talent, his decency and his second-to-none football brain. He also has a fascinating story outside of football, having been on the ground during the Bali bombings and with a family touched by drug addiction and tragedy. Our upcoming Stevie J memoir, then, will be a fantastic read about a very impressive and much loved player, ably put together by ghostwriter Adam McNicol (who's previously worked with Brendan Fevola, David Schwarcz and the Danihers). It's the first major book from an absolute club favourite about Geelong's record-breaking era. And even Geelong fans have to admit that the most exciting chapter could be the final one, if Stevie J kicks Greater Western Sydney into this year's grand final ...

Tom Hawkins and Gary Rohan?

Was mates with a good friend of Tom Jonas who told myself that Jonas thought Chad Wingard was a C*** during their time together at Port Adelaide. Jonas was glad to see the back of him when he jumped ship to Hawthorn.

The bloke is not going to write a thesis on string theory but he is quite articulate and comes across as generally quite self aware and had a footy IQ the equal of just about anyone to play the game. He was simply lazy and liked a drink before he got himself into action.

Agree, although he probably went through a few packs of crayons during the early drafts of his book...

Seriously, I've met Stevie J a few times and actually was in a small group in Sydney a few years ago at lunch with him. Nice enough fella and while his footy IQ is way up there, I doubt I'd go looking for him if I was putting a team together for a pub quiz night...
Hey Stevie, what's the square root of 100..?
SJ: Ah, that would be either Sharon or Tania...

Last edited:
I've tried to find names and any truth to the rumours of a few swans players tearing strips of Kurt Tippett after the GF loss to the Doggies.
Forcing Kurt to leave the rooms in tears.

I've got always got the vibe that Roughead and Hodge don't like Jordan Lewis .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back