Teammates that didn't like each other

Just wondering about teammates that were known to hate each other or at the least have no time for each other.

McLeod and Edwards at Adelaide is a well known feud.

Diesel Williams and David Rhys-Jones never liked each other in opposition and that carried over to when they both played for Carlton in 1992.

How about coach/player feuds?

Percy Jones continues to resent Wayne Johnston for not trying for him in 1980, stopping what he believed would have been 4 flags in a row.

One altercation doesn't necessarily mean teammates don't like each other but the Matthew Hogg/Mick McGuane altercation is one that seems to mean just that.

What other known examples can you think of?

Garry Hocking and Steven Hocking

They had plenty of personal issues (and still have), but neither let it affect them on gameday, which is a credit to their professionalism.

Justin Murphy and the entire Geelong team

He was disliked from the moment he walked into the club (his attitude was horrible and his sooking over leaving Carlton grated) and it ended with Murphy knocked out after a Matthew Scarlett beating.
I'm not a fan of violence, but his gross disloyalty and his antics on Mad Monday saw him well and truly deserving a bit of a slap, and Matthew Scarlett stepped up and gave the cowering Murphy a fair hiding before he toddled off back to Carlton.

Aker and Steven Lawrence - I'm not quite sure as to why, and Akers book didnt go into specifics, but there was clearly a level of dislike from Aker towards him.

SL has plenty of mates still at Brisbane.

Many more than Aker.

I wonder why that is?

erical

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
Alice Springs
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Garry Hocking and Steven Hocking

Justin Murphy and the entire Geelong team

He was disliked from the moment he walked into the club (his attitude was horrible and his sooking over leaving Carlton grated) and it ended with Murphy knocked out after a Matthew Scarlett beating.
I'm not a fan of violence, but his gross disloyalty and his antics on Mad Monday saw him well and truly deserving a bit of a slap, and Matthew Scarlett stepped up and gave the cowering Murphy a fair hiding before he toddled off back to Carlton.
I met his Sister several years ago in Alice Springs and asked her why he left geelong?She told me he just never gelled there and always loved carlton.
She didn't say because he got a flogging:D
BTW she was a complete bludger for drinks and smokes if there ever was one.

I met his Sister several years ago in Alice Springs and asked her why he left geelong?She told me he just never gelled there and always loved carlton.
She didn't say because he got a flogging:D
BTW she was a complete bludger for drinks and smokes if there ever was one.

He was on his way out before he copped the flogging anyway, it was just the result of his disloyalty and piss poor attitude throughout the year (and his annoying two-faced antics on Mad Monday).

I've never seen a more disliked player than Justin Murphy, and not just at Geelong.
He even used to cop plenty from his fellow indigenous players, which is rather unique.

BTW His sister sounds an awful lot like his mother, who was very well known around town for her 'interesting' life choices.

I think it's fair to say Murphy was embarassed of his team mates after Milburn's effort on Silvagni that day.... didn't suprise me one bit that was his last game for them.

That was just the straw that broke the camels back.

All year he was sooky, whiny, disloyal, two-faced and a troublemaker around the club, and it all came to a head after that game (and on Mad Monday).

In usual Justin Murphy form, he turned up at Mad Monday (after being told he wasn't welcome) and tried to act like everyone's mate (all the while he was trying to get traded back to Carlton).
He was told numerous times to ____ off, and wouldn't take the hint, so Scarlett took him outside and gave him a hiding.

It's a shame really because Murphy was a gifted footballer, but he was just soft and a pretty poor bloke (hence why he was traded 4 times)

gilly111

Senior List
Apr 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
most of the carlton players dislike cain ackland.

Haha I couldn't stop laughing when I read that. I remember Will Minson and Wayde Skipper punched on at inter club praccy match for the doggies, suppose they may not be on the best of terms but in saying that it was probably heat of the moment.

Will.B.Worth.Da.Waite

Premiership Player
Feb 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Just wondering about teammates that were known to hate each other or at the least have no time for each other.

McLeod and Edwards at Adelaide is a well known feud.

Diesel Williams and David Rhys-Jones never liked each other in opposition and that carried over to when they both played for Carlton in 1992.

How about coach/player feuds?

Percy Jones continues to resent Wayne Johnston for not trying for him in 1980, stopping what he believed would have been 4 flags in a row.

One altercation doesn't necessarily mean teammates don't like each other but the Matthew Hogg/Mick McGuane altercation is one that seems to mean just that.

What other known examples can you think of?

What happened between those two? Matthew Hogg was my next door neighbour, a great bloke, taught me how to kick a footy :thumbsu:

What happened between those two? Matthew Hogg was my next door neighbour, a great bloke, taught me how to kick a footy :thumbsu:
Can't remember how the story goes now. McGuane punched Matty Hogg at training IIRC. Seems McGuane wasn't well liked at Carlton.

Bosun

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Spurs
That was just the straw that broke the camels back.

All year he was sooky, whiny, disloyal, two-faced and a troublemaker around the club, and it all came to a head after that game (and on Mad Monday).

In usual Justin Murphy form, he turned up at Mad Monday (after being told he wasn't welcome) and tried to act like everyone's mate (all the while he was trying to get traded back to Carlton).
He was told numerous times to ____ off, and wouldn't take the hint, so Scarlett took him outside and gave him a hiding.

It's a shame really because Murphy was a gifted footballer, but he was just soft and a pretty poor bloke (hence why he was traded 4 times)

Wow didnt know this, I knew he was pretty unhappy after the Milburn/Silvagni incident, I remember the tv camera's panning to him after milburn went off and he looked pretty pissed off.

Anymore details on what happened on the mad monday, did Scarlett actually punch the crap out of him or more just told him to get lost?

Another one is Riewoldt and another Saints player (cant remember his name) had a dust up during a training drill, though its probably just a heat of the moment thing.

ODN McGuane was a prick and was never liked by anyone at Carlton as soon as he walked in, he didnt want to be there, the players didnt want him there and we wasted a decent draft pick on him, honestly our management back then was atrocious.

Anymore details on what happened on the mad monday, did Scarlett actually punch the crap out of him or more just told him to get lost?

After the Carlton game he was told he wasn't wanted at the club, or Mad Monday.

He turned up at Mad Monday, acting as if he was best mates with everyone (and bear in mind he was despised even before the Milburn/Silvagni thing), and was told numerous times that he wasn't wanted and needed to leave.

He kept on being a plonker so Scarlett took him outside and gave him a genuine hiding.

Bear in mind that Scarlett was only 21ish at the time, so even though it was only Murphy, it showed a fair bit of pride and leadership (in a warped sense ;) )

Back