Teammates that didn't like each other

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Just means Judd shanked a kick doesn't it? :p

Let me set the scene.

It was round 22, 2008. Hawks were playing Carlton at the Dome and the game was all about the shoot-out between Budwah and Fevola and who would reach the mythical 100 goal mark?

Superstar Judd had the ball looking to kick it in after a Hawthorn behind. What would superstar, best player in the league, do*?

Well, Judd had a yet another characteristic "uncharacteristic" shank straight to his direct opponent Sewell, who slotted the goal.

* the real actual best player in the league went on to kick his 100th goal later in the game.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Let me set the scene.

It was round 22, 2008. Hawks were playing Carlton at the Dome and the game was all about the shoot-out between Budwah and Fevola and who would reach the mythical 100 goal mark?

Superstar Judd had the ball looking to kick it in after a Hawthorn behind. What would superstar, best player in the league, do*?

Well, Judd had a yet another characteristic "uncharacteristic" shank straight to his direct opponent Sewell, who slotted the goal.

* the real actual best player in the league went on to kick his 100th goal later in the game.

I learn something new every day. That is a good username.

Also agree about Buddy. Many will not agree but Buddy has been the best player in the league for half his career. Midfielders are a dime a dozen, even the best ones, Ablett, Judd, Voss, Buckley, Swan, Pendlebury, they could all do similar things, but no one could do what Buddy could do.

Even this year, not many 35 year olds would be capable of kicking over 50 goals in a season.

Doesn't make sense. Could probably go back and check the Hawks draftees that season - not sure why draftees would dislike a player still kind of finding his way.
It was how he treated them that they didn’t like. He had an ego and talked down to them.

The_Eagles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2005
North Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
australia
I learn something new every day. That is a good username.

Also agree about Buddy. Many will not agree but Buddy has been the best player in the league for half his career. Midfielders are a dime a dozen, even the best ones, Ablett, Judd, Voss, Buckley, Swan, Pendlebury, they could all do similar things, but no one could do what Buddy could do.

Even this year, not many 35 year olds would be capable of kicking over 50 goals in a season.

Here is my memory

Lockett - 91
Dunstall - 92
Ablett - 93, 94
Carey - 95, 96, 97, 98, 99
Koutoufides - 00
Voss - 01, 02, 03
Tredrea - 04
Judd - 05, 06
Ablett - 07, 10, 13
Riewoldt - 09
Franklin - 08, 11, 12
Fyfe - 14, 15
Dangerfield - 16
Martin - 17, 18, 19, 20

21-22 no consensus

Ablett Jnr / Franklin are clear cut top 2 this century despite this subjective memory though

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How so? Burton only played 3 seasons at Hawthorn, so by your timeline players in their first season didn't like Burton ?

Doesn't make sense. Could probably go back and check the Hawks draftees that season - not sure why draftees would dislike a player still kind of finding his way.
It does make sense when he treated the young players like s**t when other "established" players did not.

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
It does make sense when he treated the young players like s**t when other "established" players did not.
You see, from afar it just looks like hawthorn supporters trying to justify getting rid of him in a terrible deal.

There was not one iota of talk about it on here at the time (in fact the whole hawthorn board was into the ripped off by McGrath in the rising star award), there hasn't been one iota of talk about it at Port since.

Maybe we leave it as those that need to justify the decision can use this as a crutch and the rest of us can have a healthy cynicism about whether it's true or not?

You see, from afar it just looks like hawthorn supporters trying to justify getting rid of him in a terrible deal.

There was not one iota of talk about it on here at the time (in fact the whole hawthorn board was into the ripped off by McGrath in the rising star award), there hasn't been one iota of talk about it at Port since.

Maybe we leave it as those that need to justify the decision can use this as a crutch and the rest of us can have a healthy cynicism about whether it's true or not?
I have a mate at Port. By their reckoning Burton can still be a mouthy flog.

BIGHAWK23

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Young blokes come into the club and take a dislike to an established player. End result is that player gets traded out along with pick 15 and pick 35 for a Figjam player not as good as Burton

I played with plenty of players that I didn't think much of but it never impacted the team.

If true it is a very poor reflection on the young players.

Suspect that it's merely a camouflage from certain Hawks supporters ( Burton was unliked so we had to get rid of him.)
Not camouflage

Burton caused issues with the older players as well at Hawthorn as well as younger players

FIGJAM is the representation of Burton at Hawthorn, genuinely bullied certain younger players at Hawthorn when they arrived

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Saying Burton should have won the rising star due to his on field performance and saying he was a prick to young players on our list is not mutually exclusive.

There also absolutely was talk of him being a prick on the Hawks board...

You are the one who brought up his trade, him being a dick has nothing to do with it. We traded to get Wingard who at the time was pretty well established as a solid player, Burton was a SA boy so it made sense. Would I have traded what we did for Wingard, probably not but that's an entirely different issue and more centered around the total cost in the trade rather than the player himself.

undefined

probably incorrect
Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
QLDer
From someone that may have worked nearby Waverley Park and saw the players all the time - Sam Mitchell was not liked by his teammates at all. Some players would get up to leave if he came in to have lunch when they were already there. He was regularly seen by himself or just with his immediate family.

It seems he's well liked by the players under him now though which is good.
Mitch was an entiled prick while for much of his playing career. Would treat young players with utter contempt. As you mention, seems to have grown up quite a lot now with Hawthorn's list clearly bought in to his project.

Hawker55

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Denver Broncos
It's a random comment from a secondary source on a footy forum. With no way of confirming it's legitimacy. I only said 'not excusing racism' and offered an alternate view because I refuse to take the accusation as gospel. As I would no matter who was being accused of it in this way.

Being a Hawks supporter simply meant I had knowledge of the twin girls medical emergency that fans of other clubs may never have heard about. It offers some context to why his behaviour during this time may have been questionable. If he was blatantly racist towards a medical professional then I'd be incredibly disappointed in the man, despite the circumstances.
Saying that racist comments are acceptable in times of stress is excusing racism (ie providing a circumstance where you think it’s “allowed”).

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Saying that racist comments are acceptable in times of stress is excusing racism (ie providing a circumstance where you think it’s “allowed”).

If you read my first comment on this, I stated that I wasn't excusing racism but would understand saying something perceived to be 'knobish' due to the stressful circumstances.

The original accusation of Mitchell's behaviour listed racism as well as general 'knobish' behaviour. I was offering context to one, not the other.

Unless I've interpreted the original post incorrectly and the alleged 'knobish' behaviour in question was limited only to comments of a racist nature.

I couldn't imagine there being any excuse for blatant racism even in a scenario such as that one.

Mitch was an entiled prick while for much of his playing career. Would treat young players with utter contempt. As you mention, seems to have grown up quite a lot now with Hawthorn's list clearly bought in to his project.
He's pretty open about how that had to change when he got to West Coast because he knew that he would soon be coaching the guys he was running out with.

He spoke about it on the Schofield podcast last year - was a good listen, and good banter.

Mitch was very similar to Nathan Buckley. The sort of abrasive professionalism that a lot don't respond well to, it was a large part of the reason why he was essentially stood down as captain.

Aug 15, 2009
Donaldsons Dairy
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea
He's pretty open about how that had to change when he got to West Coast because he knew that he would soon be coaching the guys he was running out with.

He spoke about it on the Schofield podcast last year - was a good listen, and good banter.
He also mentioned that Big Boy McEvoy said “he’s a bit of an a-hole” which I thought was pretty funny. Sounds like he knew he had to get better with the inter-personal stuff.

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
From someone that may have worked nearby Waverley Park and saw the players all the time - Sam Mitchell was not liked by his teammates at all. Some players would get up to leave if he came in to have lunch when they were already there. He was regularly seen by himself or just with his immediate family.

It seems he's well liked by the players under him now though which is good.
Sammy is a total pro!
Also very hard man, and determined. Not frightened to take the long road to get it right and his coaching is fine and I believe his plans that are on-going are somewhat like the patient A. Clarkson. Sam knows how to learn.
And lots of people said he was fat and slow, he was a genius with footy smarts.

But I did see Sam one day after a match at Subiaco a few years ago, when we went into the club player area, and no one went near Sam ,because he was in the mood of a angry grizzly bear with a headache!
What happened I don't know but something got him angry and the boys had a good win too.

Back