Technical breakdown of MMA and boxing

Remove this Banner Ad

Breakdown of GSP's jab

I wonder if the fighter is thinking of all these things or are they on auto pilot when it comes to movement and setting up punches

Breakdown of GSP's jab

I wonder if the fighter is thinking of all these things or are they on auto pilot when it comes to movement and setting up punches

Great thread, I'm in. Worth looking up some of the Jack Slack articles too, the man knows his s**t.

In terms of the question it becomes pretty autonomous, when I started boxing the idea of not crossing your feet over (grapevining) was really difficult to get, because its a natural motion, after a few months of training it, it becomes autonomous. Of course that's extreme beginner low level stuff, but the head movement and the natural shots that follow your weight shifting and recognizing opportunites becomes pretty automatic.

Breakdown of GSP's jab

Both. It can be a chess game, where you are thinking steps ahead and working on something, or it can just happen naturally, in the flow and in the moment where you are reacting/acting. And all the sparring, training, analysis on the opponent they do. They also work for certain things during the fightand it can be like an in game computer/scanner in the mind where you are monitoring, evaluating stuff as you go.

Mayweather was the best. He had it all.

The best is where you are so in the present and body and mind together that you can react so fast that you're not really thinking, as in stuck in your head if you can understand that. There is no hesitating, your mind and body is insync. You can react in the present but also anticipate what will come and read your opponent.

Floyd was awesome at adapting during the fight and altering his game plan if need be. He had several game plans, heaps, When he fought Maidana he was up against half way through the fight. He couldn't see out of his eye at the end of the 6th I believe. He said it himself. It helped tremendously that he had a good corner to keep him calm, which he was also the best at. Keeping calm. He always kept his composure. That's crucial because if you don't you can panick and become to reactive, start thinking too much, not using a good strategy and game plan. Maidana never won another round after that I believe and Floyd had a remarkable victory.

Totally different fight the next time around. Mayweather adjusted tactics and schooled him.

Some pretty good technical bouts of late to watch
- Rose v Joanna; Head and foot movement (especially in the early rounds) Rose's ability to dictate range and slip off the axis to counter was brilliant
- Condit v Olivera from the weekend, BJJ scrambling and chain escapes and sweeps. Condit ended up getting caught (I suspect because he was stunned from a good upkick) but early on he had a really good sweep when he was flattened right out on his back early

I like the above. At first I thought he's just another dumb dickhead youtube wannabe. But he breaks it down and explains it the right way. Do what works for you in terms of distance but generally implement all three.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Floyd was awesome at adapting during the fight and altering his game plan if need be. He had several game plans, heaps, When he fought Maidana he was up against half way through the fight. He couldn't see out of his eye at the end of the 6th I believe. He said it himself. It helped tremendously that he had a good corner to keep him calm, which he was also the best at. Keeping calm. He always kept his composure. That's crucial because if you don't you can panick and become to reactive, start thinking too much, not using a good strategy and game plan. Maidana never won another round after that I believe and Floyd had a remarkable victory.

Totally different fight the next time around. Mayweather adjusted tactics and schooled him.

This is why I bet lots on Floyd the second fight, I knew he’d adjust and figure him out.

This is why I bet lots on Floyd the second fight, I knew he’d adjust and figure him out.
Awesome.

How much if you don't mind me asking? Also did you bet a lot on him throughout his career? He was a goldmine. Would be interesting to know those that did. If they invested fairly heavily, the rest is history.

Awesome.

How much if you don't mind me asking? Also did you bet a lot on him throughout his career? He was a goldmine. Would be interesting to know those that did. If they invested fairly heavily, the rest is history.

I think I had 100 on him, I'm not a huge punter, was a big bet for me. I've just checked and Floyd was -800 head to head in Vegas for that, I thought he was a bit longer from memory, in hindsight that's not great value! I had him by decision, might have been around the 1.80 mark which was bank for mine.

Anyway I used to just back Floyd via decision regardless of how short he was, cost me when he fought Ortiz but other than that I did ok, 50 or 100 a time. Except I had him by KO versus Conor McGregor, think he was over $2 for that, now that was the easiest money made on Floyd of all time.

The BJJ Scout channel on YouTube is amazing. Definitely one of my favourite breakdown vids. Heaps of positional stuff for jiujitsu as well. This is Connor’s anti wrestling breakdown

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

he has done a few on Khabibs fights where his opponents do really bad technical stuff (Barboza in particular). Stuff that that video shows McGregor does well.

BJJ Scout believes McGregor has the best chance of beating Khabib out of everyone in the LW division, including Tony from memory.

Im fascinated to see how Askren goes in the WW division. If anyone has followed him at all he is a fighter who seems to take little to no damage to get inside and then just smothers guys, probably even more so than Khabib.

Also a recent interview with Ortega he mentions wanting to take on Khabib. Ortega has crazy high level Jits (I suspect Khabibs size would be too much) but a Khabib v Maia battle would be fascinating to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back