Ted Whitten Arden Street: In Colour

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 22, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hi Bulldogs Fans,

I take to colourising old Black and White Photos, to bring them back to life: My passion is Football. I hope you enjoy this image of Ted Whitten at Arden street in 1960.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/353833738719352/

Best Regards
PA 1870

Ted Whitten Ardent Street 1963.jpg
Ted whitten Nth Melb Arden street B-W.jpg

Last edited:

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thank you very much. Great colours in that picture. So much history in that one image.
That beautiful jumper. Thicker bolder hoops and much higher up under the armpits and across the chest, rather than the insipid version Asics gives us at the moment.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Hi Bulldogs Fans,

I take to colourising old Black and White Photos, to bring them back to life: My passion is Football. I hope you enjoy this image of Ted Whitten at Arden street in 1963.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/353833738719352/

Best Regards
PA 1870

View attachment 588378 View attachment 588379

Excellent job as usual PA 1870, I've seen your work on other forums in here, colourising up old photos.

The only (minor) problem is, the photo is not from 1963. The North player running in from the front of the contest is Frank Galle, and the only game both he and John Jenkins (#5 for North) played together at Arden Street against Footscray was round 2, 1960. The other Footscray player (in long sleeves) I think is Graham Ion. (Not sure who Ted is using as a step ladder - perhaps a lurking North supporter might know?)

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1960/071219600430.html

Jul 22, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Excellent job as usual PA 1870, I've seen your work on other forums in here, colourising up old photos.

The only (minor) problem is, the photo is not from 1963. The North player running in from the front of the contest is Frank Galle, and the only game both he and John Jenkins (#5 for North) played together at Arden Street against Footscray was round 2, 1960. The other Footscray player (in long sleeves) I think is Graham Ion. (Not sure who Ted is using as a step ladder - perhaps a lurking North supporter might know?)

Thank you Footscray1973: I don't know where the 1963 came from, but it was like a bee in my head. Thanks for clearing that up; But as a side note, some research material I was looking at that I referenced had me doubting the (1963) date the Bee was delivering to me, with regards to some background fence referencing.

Plus my acute knowledge of VFL is not strong, therefore I'm always on the hunt for reference materials that corroborate my colourisations.

And the wonderful Eagle eye help from astute and passionate supporters such as yourself.

Regards
PA1870

Jul 22, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Thank you Footscray1973: I don't know where the 1963 came from, but it was like a bee in my head. Thanks for clearing that up; But as a side note, some research material I was looking at that I referenced had me doubting the (1963) date the Bee was delivering to me, with regards to some background fence referencing.

Plus my acute knowledge of VFL is not strong, therefore I'm always on the hunt for reference materials that corroborate my colourisations.

And the wonderful Eagle eye help from astute and passionate supporters such as yourself.

Regards
PA1870

I think I see a #1 on the back of the stepladder

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I think I see a #1 on the back of the stepladder

There was a #1 for North in that game (Max Ritchie), but my knowledge of North players from that era is limited - I just happen to know Frank Galle and his family!

Again, great work, and happy to help out if I can with any background, but you're the one doing all the work! :thumbsu:

I think the Dogs player in the long sleeves is Barney McKellar, who was a member of the 1961 GF side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Bump. Couldn't find a suitable thread, so I'll whack it in here.

A REAL GOOD North player that played against & on E.J. Whitten, rates him the best player of his era (1955-1970)

Mr. Walker

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2002
PO Box. 7 Powelltown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thank you very much. Great colours in that picture. So much history in that one image.
That beautiful jumper. Thicker bolder hoops and much higher up under the armpits and across the chest, rather than the insipid version Asics gives us at the moment.

Way way off topic so apologies in advance. Your post got me thinking- does anyone know if the Bulldogs colours are specified in someway? I know they are red white and blue but I wondered if there was something more specific perhaps even copyrighted. For example there is light blue, dark blue, sky blue, navy blue etc. same for red. Your post also got me thinking about the hoops - is the width of the hoop designated anywhere? Like I said off topic and I don’t know why I think of this stuff but there it is.

PS good work PA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back