News Ted Whitten RIP - 25 years ago

Remove this Banner Ad

This coming Monday, August 17th, marks the 25th anniversary of the passing of the great Ted Whitten. Like many of you, I was watching The Footy Show when the news was announced. Even though we knew his time was limited, it came as a shock to most of us.

I will always be grateful that I went to the MCG that day in June, just two months earlier, to say goodbye to our greatest player. There wasn't a dry eye around me as we saluted Ted. That's something that I'll never forget.

I decided to attend EJ's funeral at St Patrick's Cathedral. I remember when I went in to tell the Campus Director that I wouldn't be in school the next day, he told me that he would put my absence down as going to the funeral of a member of my family. I arrived very early and got a prime seat on the left side of the altar with Ted's coffin in full view. The service was very emotional, especially when "Hero" was sung. Directly after the service I hurried over to Parliament Station and took a train out to the Western Oval so I could see the funeral procession pass by. It's a day I will long remember.

Nine years to the day of Ted's passing, on August 17, 2004, I lost my father. I am glad that my dad was able to attend one footy match in his life when he and my mum visited me in 1979. And we won. :)

Perhaps our boys need a rev up on Sunday like this:

Memory eternal.

Had the pleasure of meeting him once

The man oozed power and confidence. How we would love 1/10th of the heart and dedication he had to the jumper in today’s team.

I ventured down to the Western oval many time’s as a youth knowing we not only wouldn’t win but expecting an utter thumping but i went to watch my hero’s growing up give every inch they had week in week out no matter what. Which is why o struggle to watch certain players we have had in the preceding years. No matter how good you are you can have a crack and no one can every question Teddy didn’t have a crack every single time

Had the pleasure of meeting him once

The man oozed power and confidence. How we would love 1/10th of the heart and dedication he had to the jumper in today’s team.

I ventured down to the Western oval many time’s as a youth knowing we not only wouldn’t win but expecting an utter thumping but i went to watch my hero’s growing up give every inch they had week in week out no matter what. Which is why o struggle to watch certain players we have had in the preceding years. No matter how good you are you can have a crack and no one can every question Teddy didn’t have a crack every single time

I met him a number of times, although one time particularly stands out. Pretty sure I've told this before, but it was maybe a Monday night in the early 70s at Matilda's Tavern in the city (a bar down below the Victoria Club in Queen St where the Great Bookie Robbery happened).

Anyhoo, Ted was there with Skilts, Freddy Cook and Jeff Crouch !! There was hardly anyone there and we joined them and had a few drinks together, they'd already had a big night by then. He was loud, gregarious and blustering, all the things you'd expect of him.

I can certainly remember The Footy Show announcement and tearful Dougie saying, "Great man Teddy".
I did not meet EJ but I did see him once when I was 9 years old in 1978. He came to a wrestling event in the Bendigo area and had something to do with giving a welcome at the start of the evening from inside the ring.

I remember one day probably in the early 1980s, Ted Whitten was invited in to World of Sport to make a brief speech, for reasons I cannot recall. Perhaps it had something to do with Adidas sponsorship. EJ was talking with Sandy Roberts and was holding a rolled-up magazine. Sandy and Ted were standing behind the seated football panel. After Ted made his speech of appreciation, he finished by stating, "And there's just one more thing I'd like to do before I go."
Upon which he took a step forward and belted Lou Richards over the head a couple of times with the magazine. He then walked away, with the panel, including Lou, laughing appreciably.

Bit of nice info about Ted from facebook:

• “My Nan would only buy her fruit and veges and groceries from the store that a young Ted worked at and I think only on the days she knew he would be there. She would grab her jeep and stroll to the shop frequently stopping along the way to talk to people because most people weren't inside there homes watching the TV or on the phone etc they were in their gardens either picking their fruit trees or looking after their almost manicured lawns. A 15 minute walk to the shop would probably take Nan closer to 30 minutes because she was such a friendly and engaging person she would have to stop and say hello. During the footy season the conversations were often about Footscray and I'm led to believe Ted.
    Once she eventually got to the shop she was greeted with a loud "Hello Mum" from the larger than life Ted "What can I get you today?" A quick chat about the footy would follow as Ted carefully filled her jeep with the chosen goods. The trip home probably took her even longer as she now could tell people that Ted helped her fill the jeep.”
“My Grandfather was the bank manager of ANZ at Williamstown during the 50's and into the 60's. His bank had EJ's grocery store account. EJ did not make as much money as he should have out of his grocery business because he gave lots of credit to customers who couldn't pay for their shopping. Heaps of debtors write offs. My grandfather told me this in the early 2000's before he died.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back