mansize rooster

Cancelled
Jan 11, 2004
Here There and Everywhere
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
kangas
after finally getting around to this album..i must its as good as people say.
such a brilliant sounding album allround. production is timeless. i hear alot of modern bands in this.mostly to do with the flawless guitar sound they have going. the melodies sore so well. even when they do get really into the jam it never seems to much.always melodic and together:thumbsu:

i cant give of fave tracks with this. not a lost moment. 8 tracks being the perfect length dont ya think.

have heard good things, what do they sound like?

It certainly deserves a listen, and you probably wouldn't think it was recorded 30 years ago, it doesn't sound dated at all. Long songs, intricate dual guitar parts that can still sound sparse and moody, restrained drumming, the vocals aren't perfection in isolation but he gets away with it somehow. Modern rock? Psychedelic? Whatever it is, it's definitely a classic.

Good album. Venus and Elevation are highlights. The crisp, twin-guitar attack of Lloyd and Verlaine.. Pioneering.

Great album.

Awesome that some of you are discovering it for the first time.

You can usually get it JB for under $20 which is a bargain for a certified classic.

^^^^ They have the remastered version at JB for under 10 bucks quite often.

I was listening to this record a couple of years back and my GF had never heard it before. She said 'yeah this sort of sound is really original these days isn't it?' I told her the album came out in 1977. She said 'Oops, I thought this was a new album. Jesus how many bands have ripped these guys off?'

This is one of the few albums I own that actually gets better every time I listen to it. And it's been one of my favorites for many many years now.

^^^^ They have the remastered version at JB for under 10 bucks quite often.

Even better!

They are a bit like Pavement in that many musos use their music as an influence but due to lack of commercial success the plods in mainstream land are blissfully unaware of their exsistence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the things I've seen the album described as is "art punk" and it's definitely an influential album in the context of today's indie rock which means it sounds timeless. Same thing applies to bands like the Fall and Pere Ubu.

I agree on the production, the clarity of each instrument feels magic and not fatiguing like a lot of stuff made today.

"I was there, when the darkness doubled"

so i just gave the album a dl and listen. usually when people say a band is ahead of it's time it's just a load of crock. but wow these guys really were a good 25 years ahead of their time

fantastic album as well

I don't know if they were ahead of their time as much as people these days can't come up with new ideas.

It only seemed to take one rail-thin, posturing Bachelor of Arts student to hear Television and say 'Oh man, I've got a guitar at home. I'm pretty sure I can stab out some crisp notes over and over while deadpanning my own poetry!' And the likes of Interpol (and even worse, Editors) have had the limelight ever since.

that doesn't make any sense

everyone knows that interpol got famous covering Joy Division songs

I don't really hear JD in Interpol to be honest. Apart from the deep vocal and prominent bass. Then again, Ian Curtis sounds like a half-wit trying to be Jim Morrisson in a karaoke lounge.

Besides that - one of the Interpol members claimed they'd never heard any JD music until the comparisons between the bands started being made. Which I believe completely, you know. The guy's saying it. Must be spot on. Why'd he lie? It could be a coincidence, completely. It's not that hard to go 'right, you: speak the vocals please. You - turn the bass up. You -shards of fuzzy guitar in and out please. And you - just the one drum beat the entire time, don't change, please'. Two bands could've come up with that independently of each other, surely. Pretty basic formula to be honest.

And to summarise: Television still rock, whilst poorer imitations who have had 35 years to hone their craft do not.

Got my hands on the album after reading this thread.. I've had the title track for ages and never thought to get the whole album.

As has been said many times already, it's brilliant...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back