Television - Marquee moon

Remove this Banner Ad

awesome that people have been getting on the album.
the question is.. are televisions other albums work going for?

Short answer is yes.

Long answer is that nothing can compare to Marquee Moon, so don't expect anything up to that level.

Adventure is pretty darn good. Their self-titled 1992 album is not too bad either - much better than you could ever hope for - but definitely not as immediately brilliant as their debut. But then again, not much else is.

Wow, I enjoyed it a lot on first listen, could easily have mistaken it for being something released this year, well ahead of its time.

Terrific record. Gang of Fours ''Entertainment'' is also up there, check it out.

Interpol are great by the way.

Masterpiece.

after finally getting around to this album..i must its as good as people say.
such a brilliant sounding album allround. production is timeless. i hear alot of modern bands in this.mostly to do with the flawless guitar sound they have going. the melodies sore so well. even when they do get really into the jam it never seems to much.always melodic and together:thumbsu:

i cant give of fave tracks with this. not a lost moment. 8 tracks being the perfect length dont ya think.

Yeah I recall hearing the title track on radio late one night yeeeeears ago and was mesmerised.

For some reason it took me a while to get around to buying the cd, but I was hooked from the first bar of 'See No Evil' (I *love* Richard Lloyd's solo in that song !)

A lot of the guitars were double-tracked, e.g. the chiming parts in 'Venus'.
The producer, Andy Johns, engineered some of the biggest and best rock albums of the early 70's, e.g. Led Zep and Rolling Stones.
But according to the liner notes of the remasterd reissued thingy I have, Tom Verlaine was instrumental in achieveing that sound, he knew exactly what he wanted and more or less produced the album under the guidance of Johns' experience.

Great great, magnificent album - the first four tracks are as perfect as it gets imo.

:thumbsu:

just recently picked up the 33 1/3 book for this album.
great stuff :thumbsu: great to have all the info in one place.

awesome, might have to invest in that one myself, read a couple of good reviews on amazon.

unfortunately the 33 1/3 book on Talking Heads Fear of Music was bitterly disappointing, a real wank of a book.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no doubt.

the only bad thing about it is that it makes their other 2 look like average albums.
which is most def not the case. but when you make Marquee Moon as your debut. well, Damn..

no doubt.

the only bad thing about it is that it makes their other 2 look like average albums.
which is most def not the case. but when you make Marquee Moon as your debut. well, Damn..

I still listen to MM all the time; particularly those first four tracks (Torn Curtain is bleakly awesome too, and I love the lighter feel of Prove it - umm, plus I like the other two tracks heaps also haha ;))
I have considered buying Adventure, I really oughtta just bite the bullet and grab it considering how much joy MM has given me.

damn Mansize Rooster, you always start the awesome threads on the music forum, good work man ... (hint; TalkingHeadsTalkingHeadsTalkingHeads)

not really qualified to make a talking heads one tbh
never really delved into their gear enough. have enjoyed davs recent collabs though with eno and st vincent:thumbsu:

not really qualified to make a talking heads one tbh
never really delved into their gear enough. have enjoyed davs recent collabs though with eno and st vincent:thumbsu:

fair enough - their first four albums are just magic, after that it gets a bit patchy but mostly still ok - the live albums are great too (Stop Making Sense is obviously a live film of some renown), particularly 'the Name of This Band is Talking Heads'.

But "'77", "More Songs About Buildings and Food", "Fear of Music" & "Remain in Light" are the highlights of their discography.

Both DB collaborations with Eno are great, particularly 1980's My Life in the Bush Of Ghosts.
I've only heard one song from the St Vincent/DB album, it was interesting - they are touring together in Jan, I'd better get my arse into gear if I wanna get tickets !

yeah,love all their popular jams. I just have never got around to checking out their classic LP's.
I should get onto that. I'm sure i would love them.

Yeah the BD/Vincent album is a real gem. sounds like nothing else from this year. Its got some great electronic grooves on it with a constant brass section that is real class. At the core it's just a bunch of great experimental pop tunes. There is certainly no one else like him.

yeah,love all their popular jams. I just have never got around to checking out their classic LP's.
I should get onto that. I'm sure i would love them.

Yeah the BD/Vincent album is a real gem. sounds like nothing else from this year. Its got some great electronic grooves on it with a constant brass section that is real class. At the core it's just a bunch of great experimental pop tunes. There is certainly no one else like him.

ah, I really should get the DB/St V album, not sure why I havent yet, the song 'Who' is cool ... Byrne actually already released a nearly all-brass based album years ago (mid-to-late 80's) which has some really cool stuff on it called "Music for the Knee Plays'.

Anyway, back on topic - it is a damn shame that there seems to be SFA '77-era live Television on Youtube :-(
There are bootlegs and stuff, but no footage that I can find of them playing at CBGB's or anything.

These Eno-produced demos from 1974 are interesting though; the sound quality isn't great, and the performances are a lot more raw than what they laid down in '77 - but they are kinda cool :

the middle eight is really cool on this version of Marquee Moon, and you can already hear they are sitting on a killer song :

yeah, will def attend.
fly by night. small ass shed. sound is usually class. what a treat.

even though i only discovered this album 4 years ago it feels like its been with me all my life

Remove this Banner Ad

Back