List Mgmt. Tell me our players ideal positions.

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a list balance thread.

I’ll start.

Ben Brown: Full forward. Leading from or near the square.

Nick Larkey: Full forward / Centre Half Forward. I think he’s more comfortable up the field then Brown and hopefully has a frame that will develop into a proper contested marking forward.

Paul Ahern: inside mid
Ben Cunnington: inside mid
Jed Anderson: inside mid
Trent Dumont: inside mid. He’s a good footy player, but I still think he’s playing a role on the wing rather than being his natural fit.

Jy Simpkin: inside / outside
Shaun Higgins: inside / outside

Will Walker: wing
Scott: wing
Polec: not sure.
Hall: not sure
Ziebell: not sure

I’ll start.

Nick Larkey: Full forward / Centre Half Forward. I think he’s more comfortable up the field then Brown and hopefully has a frame that will develop into a proper contested marking forward.

Trent Dumont: inside mid. He’s a good footy player, but I still think he’s playing a role on the wing rather than being his natural fit.

Is that you Rhyce?

I’ll start.

Polec is a genuine wingman.

Polec is a genuine wingman.
So is Bailey Scott.

With Cunnington down I would be playing Scott on the wing and shifting Dumint back into the middle to see if he can provide something inside.

At the moment Simpkin, Higgins and Froggy should be our starting midfield, with rotations from Thomas, Zurhaar.

Anderson needs to be dumped or repurposed. Him getting the ball in the middle is a death sentence.

So is Bailey Scott.

With Cunnington down I would be playing Scott on the wing and shifting Dumint back into the middle to see if he can provide something inside.

At the moment Simpkin, Higgins and Froggy should be our starting midfield, with rotations from Thomas, Zurhaar.

Anderson needs to be dumped or repurposed. Him getting the ball in the middle is a death sentence.

I reckon Jed is good when he’s on the secondary rotation. His aggression can unsettle the opposition. When Benny’s not there and Jed gets more front line minutes, he’s found out a bit.

Key Defender
Robbie Tarrant (31) - You all already know, does it all
Josh Walker (27) - Good one on one, takes marks, neat kick
Majak Daw (29) - Good as a third tall intercepter, questionable whether he can play on a man, can be used in the ruck or forward to some effect
Sam Durdin (24) - Lacks urgency, neat skills, just average
Ben McKay (22) - Doesn't seem to have improved, haven't seen much of

General Defender
Marley Williams (26) - Good lockdown defender, hit and miss skills, seems to panic under pressure
Jasper Pittard (29) - Gives it 100%, prone to brain fades, hit and miss skills
Ed Vickers-Willis (24) - Cool head, good decision maker, always injured
Flynn Perez (18) - Haven't seen, quick
Tom Murphy (22) - Good footskills, doesn't seem to find much of the pill
Joel Crocker (20) - Haven't seen
Matt McGuiness (19) - Tall, but a rake, haven't seen

Inside Midfield
Jed Anderson (26) - Provides a lot of pressure and grunt, can't kick
Jack Zeibell (29) - Goes to ground too easily, too slow, hack kicks, can take a grab but seems to slow to be a full time forward + not a good kick for goal
Taylor Garner (26) - Mercurial, can't find it as a forward, can't kick, due to being injured all the time hasn't developed the tank to play his natural position
Luke McDonald (25) - Aggressive, can't kick, can play as a lockdown defender but provides little else down back, would like to see him have an extended run as a run with player at this point
Trent Dumont (25) - Big tank, slow, neat skills, can win the footy inside has been pushed out to the wing where he is competent but gets exposed for pace
Aiden Boner (21) - Big body, footskills? (haven't seen enough), can't get near the ball playing forward, burst of pace
Dom Tyson (27) - Inside accumulator, average footskills, average player
Kyron Hayden (21) - Big body, explosive, penetrating and nice kick, takes the game on, looks a decent option at half back for now but will expect to transition into the guts
Ben Jacobs (28) - Done unfortunately
Ben Cunnington (29) - Elite skills and ball winner, treacle slow and can get exposed in transition, top 15 midfielder when fit
Paul Ahern (23) - Great kick, slow, no defensive application, only can play on ball

Balanced Midfield
Shaun Higgins (32) - Great skills, still has a burst of pace, getting old and becoming a little inconsistent, still one of our best
Luke Davies-Uniake (21) - Good skills, burst of pace, X-factor, taking longer then we'd all hoped to adjust to the pace of AFL footy
Jy Simpkin (22) - Becoming a weapon inside and out with his ability to create space and use it well, future star if not one already
Will Walker (21) - Just seems a smart footballer, decent skills, hopefully his body holds up
Aaron Hall (29) - Delist

Wing
Bailey Scott (19) - Hard worker, has some pace and nice footskills, needs time to get up to pace and put on some weight
Jared Polec (27) - A weapon in a good side, defensively questionable
Jamie MacMillan (28) - Up and under kicks, bizare lack of strength for someone his size, I just don't think he's a defender and it's probably too late to try and move him to what I feel is a more natural position

Key Forward
Nick Larkey (22) - Crafty, developing nicely
Ben Brown (27) - Lead up forward, can't take a contested mark, top 5 key forward
Charlie Comben (18) - Raw and athletic, has a crack

General Forward
Shaun Atley (27) - quick and does nothing with it, can lockdown in defence but provides nothing else down there, should be used as a pressure forward and can snag a goal
Curtis Taylor (20) - Strong overhead, good kick for goal, confident, x-factor
Tarryn Thomas (20) - Loads of x-factor, goes missing for long periods of time, has all the talent in world lets see if he can be more than a guy who bobs up every now and again
Kayne Turner (24) - Pressure forward, can't kick, not many strings to his bow
Mason Wood (26) - Just doesn't have it between the ears
Jack Mahony (18) - Smart footballer, slow and small, could go either way
Cam Zurhaar (22) - Quick, bursting with x-factor, strong mark, goes missing for large periods of time, hit or miss kick
Lachlan Hosie (23) - Haven't seen much of, lead up forward

Ruck
Todd Goldstein (32) - Still one of the best rucks in the comp
Tristan Xerri (21) - Has a crack, needs to develop a signature skill whether that be a massive tank, strong marking, asserting himself at the contest, ect.
Tom Campbell (28) - Depth

Key Defender
Majak Daw (29) - Good as a third tall intercepter, questionable whether he can play on a man, can be used in the ruck or forward to some effect

General Defender
Marley Williams (26) - Good lockdown defender, hit and miss skills, seems to panic under pressure

Inside Midfield
Jack Zeibell (29) - Goes to ground too easily, too slow, hack kicks, can take a grab but seems to slow to be a full time forward + not a good kick for goal
Taylor Garner (26) - Mercurial, can't find it as a forward, can't kick, due to being injured all the time hasn't developed the tank to play his natural position
Luke McDonald (25) - Aggressive, can't kick, can play as a lockdown defender but provides little else down back, would like to see him have an extended run as a run with player at this point
Trent Dumont (25) - Big tank, slow, neat skills, can win the footy inside has been pushed out to the wing where he is competent but gets exposed for pace
Aiden Boner (21) - Big body, footskills? (haven't seen enough), can't get near the ball playing forward, burst of pace
Kyron Hayden (21) - Big body, explosive, penetrating and nice kick, takes the game on, looks a decent option at half back for now but will expect to transition into the guts
Ben Cunnington (29) - Elite skills and ball winner, treacle slow and can get exposed in transition, top 15 midfielder when fit
Paul Ahern (23) - Great kick, slow, no defensive application, only can play on ball

Balanced Midfield
Shaun Higgins (32) - Great skills, still has a burst of pace, getting old and becoming a little inconsistent, still one of our best
Luke Davies-Uniake (21) - Good skills, burst of pace, X-factor, taking longer then we'd all hoped to adjust to the pace of AFL footy
Jy Simpkin (22) - Becoming a weapon inside and out with his ability to create space and use it well, future star if not one already
Will Walker (21) - Just seems a smart footballer, decent skills, hopefully his body holds up
Aaron Hall (29) - Delist

Wing
Bailey Scott (19) - Hard worker, has some pace and nice footskills, needs time to get up to pace and put on some weight
Jamie MacMillan (28) - Up and under kicks, bizare lack of strength for someone his size, I just don't think he's a defender and it's probably too late to try and move him to what I feel is a more natural position

Key Forward
Ben Brown (27) - Lead up forward, can't take a contested mark, top 5 key forward

General Forward
Shaun Atley (27) - quick and does nothing with it, can lockdown in defence but provides nothing else down there, should be used as a pressure forward and can snag a goal
Tarryn Thomas (20) - Loads of x-factor, goes missing for long periods of time, has all the talent in world lets see if he can be more than a guy who bobs up every now and again
Cam Zurhaar (22) - Quick, bursting with x-factor, strong mark, goes missing for large periods of time, hit or miss kick

Ruck
Tristan Xerri (21) - Has a crack, needs to develop a signature skill whether that be a massive tank, strong marking, asserting himself at the contest, ect.

Excellent contribution.
Next step is to correlate positions to the 18-25 age bracket.
I fear the solution is staring us in the face, and it’s taking to the list with a chainsaw.

Key Defender

General Defender

Inside Midfield

Balanced Midfield
Aaron Hall (29) - Delist

Wing

Key Forward

General Forward

Ruck
The scary thing with this assessment is how many are poor kicks. Seriously shocking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goldy - Ruck
Taz - Full back
Cunners - Centreman
JY - Rover
Larkey - CHF
Thomas - Wing
Taylor - HFF ( atm )
BBB- FF
Kyron - HBF playmaker

Then pretty much everybody else on an extended bench.

Last edited:

All the ones here you've identified as either slow or poor kicks, or both. And all, except Mahony, are in our best 26. And I reckon only Mahony and Zurhaar have the time and capacity to get better. It's scary how this was allowed to happen.

Last edited:
The list is actually in quite bad shape to be honest.
All the ones here you've identified as either slow or poor kicks, or both. And all, except Mahony, are in our best 26. And I reckon Mahony and Zurhaar have the time and capacity to get better. It's scary how this was allowed to happen.

It's very concerning.Coupled with our lack of key position depth, we could find ourselves in a very deep hole in couple of years when Tarrant, Higgins and Goldy retire. Going to take some seriously good list management to prevent that

Durdin , McKay, Ahern, Pittard, MacMillan, Turner, Anderson , Tyson, Williams, J Walker, Garner, Jacobs, Wood and Atley with us on the other side of the fence.

sorry that’s all I got 🤷‍♂️

Credit to Scott who recognised the best position for most of them.

Switching between commodities and fx, the best users working the short sells and a couple of lockdown types plumping for bricks and mortar.

I liked it- not sure wtf ya talking about, but yeah bamboozling me wins a "like".

It's all well and good peeps to put the players on paper but you need to add.....

(s) slow
(SK) s**t kick
(HTTF)- handballs to teammates feet.
(SM)- shitmen
(FU)- ******* useless.

And then we'll be painting a Rorschach like picture .....

1593917584067.png

My view on the above, looks like us after getting owned by the bulldogs. But yeah I'm a tad nuts.🤷‍♂️

Key Defender

General Defender

Inside Midfield

Balanced Midfield
Aaron Hall (29) - Delist

Wing

Key Forward

General Forward

Ruck
Bit light on detail but not a bad report.

I'm gonna go through the list and give my input on the players' best positions. Got nothing bloody better to do thanks to being locked down again. Not gonna analyse players who I havn't seen much of for obvious reasons. Best 22 (imo) are in bold

Daw: Key defender, good as a third man up. Can play key position or back pocket
Williams: Pure small defender. Back pocket preferred position
Anderson: Inside mid. Not best 22
Higgins: Outside mid
Jacobs: Cooked, unfortunately. Was a great asset when he was healthy
Garner: General forward. His best was as a half-forward flanker who moved up the ground imo. Not best 22
Ziebell: Inside mid. If I was in charge I'd find a permanent place for him up forward, probably in the pocket. Would be a real headache for opposition defenders, but would need to fix up his kicking, which I'm not sure will ever happen. Not best 22
Scott: Wingman. Needs to bulk up: Not best 22
LDU: Inside and outside mid
Cunners: Inside mid
McDonald: Should be a tagger imo after seeing him on Bont last week. Either way he belongs in the centre, not in the back 6
Simpkin: Inside and outside mid
Polec: Wingman
Dumont: Does well on the wing. Still not sure where I'd prefer him; wing or onball
Ahern: Natural onballer. Wouldn't mind seeing him on the HBF, with Hayden opposite, so he can use his disposal out of our back half. Then put him in the middle once Cunners starts declining
Bonar: Either an inside/outside mid or a half-forward flanker. Haven't seen enough. Not best 22 at this point in time
Pittard: General defender. Good as a third man up. Decent back pocket
Atley: An enigma. Wouldn't mind seeing him tried on the wing, where he can use his wheels. Also open to trying him on the half-forward flank. Needs to be put somewhere where he doesn't have to think himself out of situations
J Walker: Key defender. Tries to mark the ball too much, but a good fit at CHB
Larkey: Key forward. Does his best work at CHF where he can roam around
Tyson: Inside mid. Not best 22
Goldstein: Ruckman. Jet. Say no more
McKay: Key defender. Don't know where he'd be better between FB and CHB. Not best 22
Durdin: Key defender. Don't know where he'd be better between FB and CHB. Not best 22
Tarrant: Key defender. Jet. Best position is FB
Thomas: General mid/forward. Prefer him as a half-forward flanker with stints in the mids
W Walker: NFI. Not best 22 at this stage
Turner: Small forward. Forward pocket preferred position. Not best 22
Comben: Ruckman. Not best 22
Taylor: General forward. Prefer him as a half-forward flanker who can push up the ground while still having a forward presence
Wood: General forward. Wouldn't mind him as a forward pocket who has extended stints further up the ground. Not best 22 despite being one of the most talented players at the club
EVW: Small/general defender. Would be a great addition in the back pocket imo
Macmillan: General defender. Dunno where his best position would be. Not best 22
Mahony: Haven't seen enough. Potential forward pocket option. Knows how to use the pill. Not best 22 atm but still reckon he should be getting games pumped into him
Crocker: NFI. Not best 22
Hayden: General defender. Love him on the HBF as a rebounding option who starts attacks from the back half
Xerri: Ruckman. Offers nothing as a key forward. Needs to get a taste of rucking at AFL level. Not best 22
Perez: NFI. Not best 22
Murphy: Small/general defender. Good foot skills. Wouldn't mind seeing him at half-back with Kyron on the other flank. Not best 22 at this stage
McGuinness: Beanstalk. Ruckman presumably. Not best 22
Campbell: Depth ruckman/key forward. Not best 22
Hall: Liked him as a wingman/half forward when we signed him. Not so sure now. Not best 22
Zurhaar: General forward. Would be good as a forward pocket if in good goalkicking form. If not in good goalkicking form I'd let him play on a half-forward flank and get up the ground so he can murder an opposition player
Hosie: Key forward? Genuinely not sure with him. Not best 22
Brown: Full forward who needs space inside 50 to have an impact. Offers great leads but is useless in a pack. Belongs at full-forward

I would like to see Tarryn Thomas on a half-back flank where he can use his marking skills as an interceptor and his elite foot skills as a distributor. He just isn't getting anywhere near enough of the pill in the forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back