Universal Love Tell us about your local footy club

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread got me all nostalgic so I hunted down some old footage (1976 Williamstown vs Mordialloc) on the Tube of my glory days, well I was in the stands that day, but played with many of these players about 5 years later as an 19 yr old. Geoff Rosenow was my playing coach, famous for the brawl down the race against North at Kardinia Park. Funny they changed the hoops from round to up and down because the jumpers made us look fat. Geelong did the same for Doug Wade. Great football back then, don't even remember it as being dirty like it was supposed to be. Wide eyed youth.

Didn't Mordy 'graduate' into the SFL, seem to recall that - not sure of the year. Use to drive past the ground quite a bit.

Didn't Mordy 'graduate' into the SFL, seem to recall that - not sure of the year. Use to drive past the ground quite a bit.
'Graduate'.... Yes they did. Think I played one or two seasons between stints overseas, so footy then was just a bit of fun. About '86 from memory.I lived just up the road, so was always a Mordi boy. They say it is fashionable nowadays. Huh.

'Graduate'.... Yes they did. Think I played one or two seasons between stints overseas, so footy then was just a bit of fun. About '86 from memory.I lived just up the road, so was always a Mordi boy. They say it is fashionable nowadays. Huh.

Oh yeah, Mordi has gone up market! I've got back to Ol Melbourne Town 2-3 times each year, so seeing the progress has been interesting. Cheltenham for me brother.......

Oh yeah, Mordi has gone up market! I've got back to Ol Melbourne Town 2-3 times each year, so seeing the progress has been interesting. Cheltenham for me brother.......
Chelt sharps, pussies.
I remember my team mate getting shot with a slug gun from the high rise flats overlooking the Preston oval (from memory). Tell that to the kids of today....

Chelt sharps, pussies.
I remember my team mate getting shot with a slug gun from the high rise flats overlooking the Preston oval (from memory). Tell that to the kids of today....

haha, Playing against Collingwood Districts, some of their boys were on day release, and I copped the only friggen tooth that one germ had kept in his whole mouth - right in the back of the head in a pack mark situation - played the game out looking like the village idiot and went straight for a tetanus shot.

The shooter at Preston would have been trying to bag a pigeon for dinner I'd say..... KFP

Last edited:
haha, Playing against Collingwood Districts, some of their boys were on day release, and I copped the only friggen tooth one germ had in his whole mouth right in the back of the head in a pack mark situation - played the game out looking like the village idiot and went straight for a tetanus shot.

The shooter at Preston would have been trying to bag a pigeon for dinner I'd say..... KFP
Pigeon for dinner, pheasant or squab perhaps. Remember as a young kid playing school footy against Port Melbourne. Sons of some pretty hard men, but the children were harder.

Russell Richards what a waste .Barassi totally stuffed his career playing him in the backline .Played a great game against the Hawks one day and kicked 4 goals i think .
Russell was a great mate of Robin The Claw White ,and instrumental in getting him too Seymour in 91 and winning the flag .
I also played 3rds at the Lions in 84 85 then the Lakers in 86 and then back to the Lions in 87.
Amazing the Redlegs are still going .

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Claw is an old West Gambier boy. He and his lovely wife still run the Barbie shed. Life member , coached us for nothing when we were down and out, past President. Absolute highest respect. Can remember him and Mark Yeates killing it in the juniors.

Robin only coached one season at Seymour . He did a Dimma ,taking them from second last to premier's .He was as tough as they come a great tackler and desperate half back flanker .He kicked one goal for the year at the 25 minute mark of the last quarter of the Grand final sealing a great victory .

Robin only coached one season at Seymour . He did a Dimma ,taking them from second last to premier's .He was as tough as they come a great tackler and desperate half back flanker .He kicked one goal for the year at the 25 minute mark of the last quarter of the Grand final sealing a great victory .

Thanks for that .. Hes a pretty humble bloke and doesn't talk about his playing days much but I'll bring up his Seymour days next time I get a steak.

Played under 15's and U17's for Norwood in the old Eastern Districts Football League, in U17's played CHB and came up against Ringwood who had Paul Van Der Haar at CHF... any pretentions I had as a footballer were quickly disabused!!
Played two years in the seniors and then played a year at West Heidelberg, played one game and did my shoulder and out for the year.
After that transferred to Geelong and didn't play any footy, too busy drinking.
It was only when I got transferred back to Melbourne that I got talked into playing for ANZ in the ammos, Z division, and had a ball. Our clubrooms at Oval 15 were plain and crappy but had the best atmosphere, cricket club as well, but we lost them during the Grand Prix rebuild, club survived as Albert Park but was never the same... was 39/40 when I gave it up.

Did you come up against Norwood's arch enemy North Ringwood?
Kevin Walsh, Dean Bailey, Peter Banfield, Gary O' Donnell, and Paul Salmon were all around that era and went on to Essendon after starting at NR

Did you come up against Norwood's arch enemy North Ringwood?
Kevin Walsh, Dean Bailey, Peter Banfield, Gary O' Donnell, and Paul Salmon were all around that era and went on to Essendon after starting at NR
Lost an U17 Grand Final to them the year before we played Ringwood.
Hated them!! Our seniors got relegated in my last year of juniors and never played against North Ringwood in the seniors.
How could you take this mob seriously...
1589190480094.png

Lost an U17 Grand Final to them the year before we played Ringwood.
Hated them!! Our seniors got relegated in my last year of juniors and never played against North Ringwood in the seniors.
How could you take this mob seriously...
View attachment 874033
Was pretty heavily involved in Norwood’s junior footy program until about 6 or 7 years ago and I can report that the hate continues....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Used to play for North Blackburn (Eagles) in the Eastern Suburban Churches Football league. John Hummel was the senior coach (ex Richmond/South/Collingwood). The club folded many years ago now.

Also played under 13s for East Burwood (Rams).
I remember the Coach at East Burwood
Barry Wenker unlucky name, top bloke always up and about

Used to play for North Blackburn (Eagles) in the Eastern Suburban Churches Football league. John Hummel was the senior coach (ex Richmond/South/Collingwood). The club folded many years ago now.

East Burwood, haven't they fallen from grace!!
They along with Mitcham were the strongest Div1 sides when I played... Div4 and Div3 now.

Try to get down to Morton Park and watch Blackburn when I can, and could.
Love the local footy.

East Burwood, haven't they fallen from grace!!
They along with Mitcham were the strongest Div1 sides when I played... Div4 and Div3 now.

Try to get down to Morton Park and watch Blackburn when I can, and could.
Love the local footy.
Yes were one of the power teams in the EFL during the 80s and 90s along with Vermont.

These posts bring back some memories.

Played junior football with East Camberwell at Lynden Park. Gosh we were awful. Played at 3 pm on a Sunday. Middle of winter it could get pretty dark in that last quarter. Think Chris Scott played there. They went on to merge with Surrey Hills.

Also played at another disbanded club, Highfield.

The Claw is an old West Gambier boy. He and his lovely wife still run the Barbie shed. Life member , coached us for nothing when we were down and out, past President. Absolute highest respect. Can remember him and Mark Yeates killing it in the juniors.
My dad and uncle both played for West, back in the 60s.
I grew up in Millicent, The Saints. Finally broke their 30 year premiership drought a year or two ago.

I now live in Midwest WA, and my local team is Northampton. The Rams.
For a farming town of around 2000 people, they have produced a lot of AFL talent.
Josh Kennedy, Daniel Chick, Jamie Cripps, Paddy Cripps, Harry Taylor. A few others too I think.

Club I played for years with has a strong Richmond connection - Royce Hart, Jack Riewoldt, John Richmond. Bunch of other AFL VFL players - Steve McPherson, John Bingley, Stuart Spencer, Bill Picken, Robert Shaw to name a few. The other I played for, Mark Browning, Alistair Lynch, Paul Morwood, Matt Armstrong, Jamie Shanahan, Peter Hudson, Paul Hudson, Fox brothers, Andrew Lampril. Some others.

Coached by, or played with most of them. Good blokes. Good times. And the blokes I was lucky (unlucky ?) to play against ...phew.

Footy clubs are such great things.

Last edited:
Quangers boy here too. Queanbeyan Tigers. Yellow sash on black. Tigerland is the song. They currently play in the ACTAFL, after a short stint in the NEAFL. (Playing against AFL seconds was just a step too far.)

Bloody loved my time there. It was mostly juniors, with a few games in the u19s and Ressies, while junior aged.

For those who don't know Quangers, it's something like Geelong. Or Newcastle. Or maybe Wodonga. It's the blue collar pimple on the arse of the bigger town. Canberra teams genuinely sh*t themselves having to play the Tigers. And not because we were good. We lost most games every year. It was because we were very, very physical, and very, very angry. We played on Saturdays and I reckon more than half of my team played rugby league or rugby union on the Sunday, so we were better practiced at the physical side of the game. And we were playing the skinny, smarmy sons of public servants and university staff. We had a chip on our shoulder and you could see it from Wagga. fu**. Them. All. If we were going to lose (and we were), then we were sending them home sore.

I must be a bit older than you though, Boxhead007, because the Kulcha in the seniors wasn't notable when I was involved. Having said that, it wasn't bad. Just a bit, well, parttime. Not many players got paid. And those that did, mostly got paid in fuel vouchers from the Hunny Bunny Servo.

I was gone by the mid-90s, when the success finally came.
Queanbeyan are garbage with a garbage culture - go play in NSW where you belong scumbags!!

I lived in frankston and Played at frankston ycw stonecats for a while it was walking distance from were i lived and won a few flags against seaford and mt eliza.
Then brought a house in tyabb and started to follow tyabb yabbies as they were across the road from me and they have won 5 games in 6 yrs but the home made pies are great.

Played all my junior footy at Tyabb (The Yabbies) but finished at u/18’ to concentrate on cricket . Todd Elton played some juniors there (he is a ripping bloke) Justin Sweeney played one game for the Saints . Ex Melbourne player Jamie Duursma played and coached the club for a few seasons . The ground unfortunately has a sad story to it as its where young Luke Batty passed away 🥲

I had a few season at Albury 15 years ago. Fantastic club. People were amazing. Way too much money in the leagues down there. Having coached in the Tallangatta League and played 6 season in the Hume League, I’ve seen it all good and bad.
My home club Queanbeyan set the standards for culture. Easily the best culture of a footy club I’ve ever seen.
was a rough league in its time. generally a fight or two and not always on the ground. wang rovers games in particular.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back