Temp job in UK - buy a car or not bother?

Remove this Banner Ad

Clasper

Draftee
Oct 4, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Hi! :)

I've started a job in the UK to further my career in computer science and absolutely loving it so far. I was wondering if it would be worth getting a cheap runaround car while I'm here? I will only be staying for a year, then moving back to AUS and continuing work in this companies office there (it hasn't expanded to what I'm doing, but will have done by next year). I've read that I'll have to pay extra taxes to drive the car - what are these? Is it similar to income tax? I've been using a tax calculator for income tax and it's been extremely useful as my pay wasn't right at first. Honestly could just use a site that explains all UK taxes o_O Anyone got some answers? Would be much appreciated!

If you are working in London - no. Public transport will be more than sufficient and you have to pay the congestion tax to drive into the city

Oxford actually! I've been getting around walking/using mobike but it's not a great solution and my own car would be sufficiently more useful than my own bike. I've visited London before and the public transport there is great, Oxford's got buses everywhere but I have to get multiple to get from where I'm living now to work.

Purchase a shitbox and dump it like the other guy said. Surely there is more to living in Oxford for a year than catching the bus to work. What a about a nice weekend drive exploring the countryside

Hi! :)

I've started a job in the UK to further my career in computer science and absolutely loving it so far. I was wondering if it would be worth getting a cheap runaround car while I'm here? I will only be staying for a year, then moving back to AUS and continuing work in this companies office there (it hasn't expanded to what I'm doing, but will have done by next year). I've read that I'll have to pay extra taxes to drive the car - what are these? Is it similar to income tax? I've been using a tax calculator for income tax and it's been extremely useful as my pay wasn't right at first. Honestly could just use a site that explains all UK taxes o_O Anyone got some answers? Would be much appreciated!

CazC30 might be able to provide you with some info on transport around London

In that case then buy a car - but just a shitter you will dump when you leave. The costs of bringing a car back are only worth it if its a premium one.
Yes but you would need to be careful of emissions zones which have become part of London and starting soon in smaller cities and towns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back