Ten albums that changed your life

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't know about 10, but Jaco Pastorious did.

I think it was sometime in 1978 that I heard Weather Reports “A Remark You Made”. I went to a great friends house who was an experienced bass player. He was trying to learn a how emulate the sounds the Weather Report bassist was getting on this album. He gave me the headphones to listen to this song while he went off to make some coffee. I hadn’t heard anything like it. I checked the cassette player to make sure the speed control that had been fitted to help him with practice wasn’t adjusted to slow. It wasn’t, by the time he came back with the coffee it had gone on to “Teen Town”.

I was hooked from then on. I bought everything I could find with Jaco Pastorious on it. “Black Market” also by Weather Report, “Hejira”, “Mingus”, “Don Juans Reckless Daughter” and a live double album “Shadows and Light” all by Joni Mitchell.

I listened to them non stop and kept an eye out for any new albums, but apart from a couple of new things there just wasn’t anything. I kept comparing new albums and was continually disappointed by what was offered in the 80’s. The last Album that I really listened to in the 80’s was Paul Young’s album “No Parlez” with Pino Palladino on bass.

After hearing about Jaco’s death, after being beaten up by a bouncer at the age of 35, I just lost interest in music and consequently have hardly any 80’s music in my music collection. I didn’t really listen to anything much until the same friend gave me a copy of “The Seeds of Love” by Tears for Fears.

Since then I have got back into listening to music during any time possible and now have by anyone’s description a huge collection of music.

I now have more than 60 albums of Jaco’s or featuring Jaco, some of great music and others that are very hard to listen to as his descent into mental illness increased.

There are plenty of great albums out there, all you have to do is listen.

Guns N Roses - Use Your Illusion II
Tool - Aenima
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Pantera ,- Cowboys From Hell
Rage Against The Machine - Self-Titled
Nirvana - In Utero

Last edited:
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?
AC/DC - Powerage
The Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks
The Rollins Band - Weight
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
Jane's Addiction - Ritual De Lo Habitual
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Alice Cooper - Welcome to my Nightmare
Eloy - Floating
Lou Reed - Rock and Roll Animal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back