storm fan

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2011
StormHQ
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Australia Cricket,League,Union team
THE Ten Network is poised to become the new, dedicated television broadcaster of the Wallabies and Test rugby.
The network will announce today that it has secured the rights to show Wallabies' Tests on free-to-air television from commercial rival the Nine Network, which is primarily a rugby league and cricket channel.
Pay TV network Fox Sports owns the broadcast rights to Australian rugby, which includes the Wallabies and Super Rugby.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...ies-test-matches/story-e6frg7o6-1226501020291

Mint Condition

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
This is excellent news. Ten's coverage of the 2007 world cup was very good. They'll actually promote the sport. The Lions series will be huge and Ten could do very well out of it if they get the coverage and promotion for it right.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
This is excellent news. Ten's coverage of the 2007 world cup was very good. They'll actually promote the sport. The Lions series will be huge and Ten could do very well out of it if they get the coverage and promotion for it right.

What he said. As long as 9 don't have their dirty fingers on the rugby. 9 is an appalling station.

storm fan

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2011
StormHQ
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Interesting that there is three major FTA networks and they have each got each major football code. Ch 9 has cricket in addition to this. Will be interesting to see ch 10 coverage, pictures and commentary will obviously be coming from the Fox Sports crew as always though.

Perhaps we might finally see some Super Rugby on FTA TV with this agreement, not that the ratings for it on Fox demand it.

Mint Condition

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I think TEN have said they will put together their own commentary team for the Wallabies matches next year. I hope they go with someone new as a lead caller.

Can't see super rugby on FTA in the short term. Not before the next broadcast deal anyway (2016).

storm fan

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2011
StormHQ
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Thought ch 10 couldn't have their own comentators because Fox Sports own the rights and only give the test matches to FTA because of the anti-Siphoning laws.

bullish23

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2002
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
When rugby first went professional, ten had the rights and did a good job lead by David Fordham (rip).

Hopefully they will do so again.

Mint Condition

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Thought ch 10 couldn't have their own comentators because Fox Sports own the rights and only give the test matches to FTA because of the anti-Siphoning laws.

Channel 10 have purchased the FTA rights and are entitled to use their own commentators. It was only channel 9 that used the fox commentary. Before that channel 7 had their own team and the situation was the same.

I think this is a victory for all the rugby fans that bombarded the channel 9 and wide world of sports social media pages, especially during the rugby world cup. I felt sorry for the guy who had to run the WWOS facebook page at the time.

storm fan

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2011
StormHQ
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I could of swore changing the channels between Fox Sports and Ch 7 years ago to discover the same commentators and pictures being used.

Mint Condition

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Same pictures certainly but Channel 7 had Gordon Bray and co commentating. Before Fox was able to play Wallabies matches live I think they would show the replay of the games with the channel 7 commentary. Once they were simulcast there were 2 separate commentary teams.

Dont be a lemon

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Jun 2, 2006
Party time all the time
AFL Club
Essendon
Seven didn't bother with their own commentators for the end of year matches if my sparse recollections are worth anything.

Hopefully Ten will actually show the 'local' matches outside NSW and QLD rather than continue Nine and Seven's "Bury it at midnight" policy.

storm fan

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2011
StormHQ
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Interesting interview with the CEO of Fox Sports, Patrick Delany. Think it's interesting for all sports fans.

http://www.mediaweekpodcasts.com/

All very interesting, A-League, EPL, Big Bash, Rugby World Cup, Rugby League, Fox Sports News & Speed news.

Back