Toast Ten Years On: Flashback to ‘Winning Together’ launch 🏆🏆

Remove this Banner Ad

May 1, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Flashback to ‘Winning Together’ launch

It’s exactly 10 years to the day (March 2, 2010) since Richmond players, coaches, staff and directors gathered in the Club’s gymnasium to hear CEO Brendon Gale outline the Tigers’ vision for building the next era of sustained Yellow and Black success.

20Gale0203_620.jpg

Richmond CEO Brendon Gale at Punt Road Oval on March 3, 2010

It’s exactly 10 years to the day (March 2, 2010) since Richmond players, coaches, staff and directors gathered in the Club’s gymnasium to hear CEO Brendon Gale outline the Tigers’ vision for building the next era of sustained Yellow and Black success. Here is an edited transcript of Gale’s speech . . .

“I’m a proud Richmond man.
All that I’ve been able to achieve in football – and after football – has come from what I have learned from the people, culture and history of this great club.

Everybody in this room has the same opportunity this club has given me, and I hope everybody in this room will do more – much more – with that opportunity.

I was privileged to have played 244 games for the Tigers from 1990-2001, a period in which we played in just two finals series.

From 1980 to 2010, we have had many, many fine contributors, both on and off the field, and indeed, we have been successful on a range of measures – but not on the measure that matters most. For a big, proud club that, historically, has been hard-wired for success, where premiership success is part of our DNA – collectively, we have been a failure.

Matthew Richardson is one of our greatest players, a Tiger through and through. He played 282 games from 1993, won the Jack Dyer Medal, kicked 800 goals, second on the all-time goalkicking list at Punt Road, and finished third in the Brownlow Medal in his second-last season. He played in just one finals series. A great career, for a club which failed him. I could go on, Campbell, Knights, Kellaway, Broderick, Free, Bowden, etc.

As much as it hurts me to say it, the fact is, we have been a collective failure.

In 2010, we have 16 players who have the chance to make their debut at our club this season – David Astbury, Pat Contin, Matt Dea, Mitch Farmer, Alroy Gilligan, David Gourdis Ben Griffiths, Dylan Grimes, Robert Hicks, Dustin Martin, Ben Nason, James O’Reilly, Relton Roberts, Troy Taylor, Jeromey Webberley and Nick Westhoff.

Twenty years ago, any of you could have been Tony Free, ‘Cambo’, or ‘Richo’ . . . excited to be joining a great club, a proud club, a club that had thrived on success.

Look at each other, and think – can you imagine the next 20 years playing at this club, AND PLAYING IN JUST TWO FINALS SERIES.

NEVER PLAYING IN A GRAND FINAL.
WINNING NOTHING!

Can any of us imagine this – reaching 2030 with NO MORE PREMIERSHIPS!
It’s an intolerable thought, and one that only we, yes WE, can eliminate.

This room holds the future of the Richmond Football Club in its hand.

This room is not our present; this room is our future – and all of us, board members, administration, football department, players.

All that is missing are out members, our loyal and hungry members. But the truth is, they are helpless.

They can only rely on us. We cannot fail them.

2010 is year one in the application of a plan that is based not on hope, not on a wish, not on rhetoric, but a plan that defines who we are and what we stand for; a plan that puts the right people in the right places; a plan that is ambitious, but patient; a plan that relies on all of us to succeed; a plan with real goals, expectations and accountability.

Our plan is based on TRUTH – on the recent success of clubs like ours, clubs that have been through similar droughts, and have come through to be dominant forces in RAPID TIME.
We will do the same.

Our plan is not based on wondering why things have gone wrong, and then blaming those who have gone before us, but on knowing why things go right.
We all know of the success of Geelong over the last three years. Was that a fluke? Of course it wasn’t.

The backbone of Geelong’s success was put together in a room like this, with a group like this, with a plan like ours, at the start of this decade.

Think of these names, and when they, like you, stood before their mates and started their careers. Ling, Corey and Chapman debuted in 2000, Enright in 2001, Ablett, Bartel, Rooke, Kelly and Johnson in 2002.

At the end of the 2002 season, a season where Geelong finished 12th, the Cats had not won a premiership for 40 seasons.

At the start of the 2010 season, Richmond has not won a premiership for 30 seasons.

Geelong did it by applying simple processes to maximise the opportunity that all AFL clubs have.

The Cats planned for their success, they brought in good people, who worked together. They acted and made decisions in accordance with a strong set of values. They believed in themselves and their plan. They stuck to their plan and remained loyal to each other when the really tough questions were being asked of them.

At the Richmond Football Club we will establish and entrench a “brand” or “culture”, or simply a Richmond way of doing things, that both defines and binds us.

From this gathering on:
• We will be a UNITED Club and all of us will unite behind our team.
• We will be RELENTLESS – in pursuit of excellence, in sticking to our plan and never deviating, and in the way we apply ourselves to our goals.
• We will be PROUD of our past and what we have achieved, and we will be ambitious about our future and what we plan to achieve.
• We will be LEADERS – in terms of our thinking and people, and in terms of our relationship with our community.

These are the benchmarks that will make Richmond a POWERFUL and GLORIOUS place to be over the next decade.

Occasionally, you will be reminded of our successful past and see players and officials involved with that era in and around the Club. Some are with us today. They’re not people that provoke jealousy.

They represent what YOU will represent –they represent WINNING.

Our coach – who has come from successful, united clubs – represents WINNING.

So must WE.

I’ve had a gutful of representing an era of failure.

Many of you are tired of failure.

Many of you newcomers have never known failure.

And many of you newcomers must never know failure.

Together, our entire club is motivated by the vision of our future in 2020. It’s a vision of greatness and leadership that we describe as THE POWER and THE GLORY. By 2020, we aspire to have won our 13th Premiership; consistently provide the most exciting and powerful match-day experience in the competition; once again have the strongest support base in the nation, and enjoy the strongest emotional connection with our members and fans.

We acknowledge that we have an enormous amount of work to do, in the most competitive of competitions, in the most competitive era of our history, if we are to realise our vision.

Therefore, the next five years is about building the capacity, or “horsepower” of our organisation, to deliver. Our plan features real goals with real measurements that need to be achieved along the way in order to succeed. These goals relate to our football performance, the strength of our relationship with our members, commercial popularity and financial strength.

If we could boil the whole plan to its fundamental essence, it means that by 2014 we expect to deliver 3-0-75
• 3 finals appearances (including 1 top 4 finish)
• zero debt
• 75,000 members

This is a plan that aligns the efforts and expectations of everyone associated with the Club. It is a plan to succeed.”

It’s exactly 10 years to the day (March 2, 2010) since Richmond players, coaches, staff and directors gathered in the Club’s gymnasium to hear CEO Brendon Gale outline the Tigers’ vision for building the next era of sustained Yellow and Black success.

20Gale0203_620.jpg

It’s exactly 10 years to the day (March 2, 2010) since Richmond players, coaches, staff and directors gathered in the Club’s gymnasium to hear CEO Brendon Gale outline the Tigers’ vision for building the next era of sustained Yellow and Black success. Here is an edited transcript of Gale’s speech . . .

All that I’ve been able to achieve in football – and after football – has come from what I have learned from the people, culture and history of this great club.

Everybody in this room has the same opportunity this club has given me, and I hope everybody in this room will do more – much more – with that opportunity.

I was privileged to have played 244 games for the Tigers from 1990-2001, a period in which we played in just two finals series.

From 1980 to 2010, we have had many, many fine contributors, both on and off the field, and indeed, we have been successful on a range of measures – but not on the measure that matters most. For a big, proud club that, historically, has been hard-wired for success, where premiership success is part of our DNA – collectively, we have been a failure.

Matthew Richardson is one of our greatest players, a Tiger through and through. He played 282 games from 1993, won the Jack Dyer Medal, kicked 800 goals, second on the all-time goalkicking list at Punt Road, and finished third in the Brownlow Medal in his second-last season. He played in just one finals series. A great career, for a club which failed him. I could go on, Campbell, Knights, Kellaway, Broderick, Free, Bowden, etc.

As much as it hurts me to say it, the fact is, we have been a collective failure.

In 2010, we have 16 players who have the chance to make their debut at our club this season – David Astbury, Pat Contin, Matt Dea, Mitch Farmer, Alroy Gilligan, David Gourdis Ben Griffiths, Dylan Grimes, Robert Hicks, Dustin Martin, Ben Nason, James O’Reilly, Relton Roberts, Troy Taylor, Jeromey Webberley and Nick Westhoff.

Twenty years ago, any of you could have been Tony Free, ‘Cambo’, or ‘Richo’ . . . excited to be joining a great club, a proud club, a club that had thrived on success.

Look at each other, and think – can you imagine the next 20 years playing at this club, AND PLAYING IN JUST TWO FINALS SERIES.

WINNING NOTHING!

This room is not our present; this room is our future – and all of us, board members, administration, football department, players.

All that is missing are out members, our loyal and hungry members. But the truth is, they are helpless.

2010 is year one in the application of a plan that is based not on hope, not on a wish, not on rhetoric, but a plan that defines who we are and what we stand for; a plan that puts the right people in the right places; a plan that is ambitious, but patient; a plan that relies on all of us to succeed; a plan with real goals, expectations and accountability.

Our plan is based on TRUTH – on the recent success of clubs like ours, clubs that have been through similar droughts, and have come through to be dominant forces in RAPID TIME.
We will do the same.

Our plan is not based on wondering why things have gone wrong, and then blaming those who have gone before us, but on knowing why things go right.
We all know of the success of Geelong over the last three years. Was that a fluke? Of course it wasn’t.

The backbone of Geelong’s success was put together in a room like this, with a group like this, with a plan like ours, at the start of this decade.

Think of these names, and when they, like you, stood before their mates and started their careers. Ling, Corey and Chapman debuted in 2000, Enright in 2001, Ablett, Bartel, Rooke, Kelly and Johnson in 2002.

At the end of the 2002 season, a season where Geelong finished 12th, the Cats had not won a premiership for 40 seasons.

At the start of the 2010 season, Richmond has not won a premiership for 30 seasons.

Geelong did it by applying simple processes to maximise the opportunity that all AFL clubs have.

The Cats planned for their success, they brought in good people, who worked together. They acted and made decisions in accordance with a strong set of values. They believed in themselves and their plan. They stuck to their plan and remained loyal to each other when the really tough questions were being asked of them.

At the Richmond Football Club we will establish and entrench a “brand” or “culture”, or simply a Richmond way of doing things, that both defines and binds us.

From this gathering on:
• We will be RELENTLESS – in pursuit of excellence, in sticking to our plan and never deviating, and in the way we apply ourselves to our goals.
• We will be PROUD of our past and what we have achieved, and we will be ambitious about our future and what we plan to achieve.
• We will be LEADERS – in terms of our thinking and people, and in terms of our relationship with our community.

These are the benchmarks that will make Richmond a POWERFUL and GLORIOUS place to be over the next decade.

Occasionally, you will be reminded of our successful past and see players and officials involved with that era in and around the Club. Some are with us today. They’re not people that provoke jealousy.

So must WE.

Together, our entire club is motivated by the vision of our future in 2020. It’s a vision of greatness and leadership that we describe as THE POWER and THE GLORY. By 2020, we aspire to have won our 13th Premiership; consistently provide the most exciting and powerful match-day experience in the competition; once again have the strongest support base in the nation, and enjoy the strongest emotional connection with our members and fans.

We acknowledge that we have an enormous amount of work to do, in the most competitive of competitions, in the most competitive era of our history, if we are to realise our vision.

Therefore, the next five years is about building the capacity, or “horsepower” of our organisation, to deliver. Our plan features real goals with real measurements that need to be achieved along the way in order to succeed. These goals relate to our football performance, the strength of our relationship with our members, commercial popularity and financial strength.

If we could boil the whole plan to its fundamental essence, it means that by 2014 we expect to deliver 3-0-75
• zero debt
• 75,000 members

This is a plan that aligns the efforts and expectations of everyone associated with the Club. It is a plan to succeed.”

Ok. Someone put a wall in front of me, I need to run through something stronger than a jalfrezi

And to think back on the ridicule Benny copped from the media (clearly remember radio hosts scoffing at the plan) and crap we got from supporters of other clubs (particularly my Geelong, Hawthorn and Collingwood flog mates).

They laughed at the prospect of us regularly playing finals
They thought it crazy we were talking premierships
They thought it hilarious that we'd even consider hunting a 13th flag by 2020
They mocked any mention of 75,000 members signed up

Well Benny... you stuck it right up them! That's what you did.

Unlike most 'plans' there was an actual plan for what specifically to do to make it all happen. Setting aspirational goals is easy. Doing the work to make it happen is hard. Getting, accepting and learning form bad news is hard. We've done that, and still are doing it. Let's hope that learning is part of our DNA now.

I have been involved in so many strategic plans that I am a total cynic about them. Mostly they are worth less than the paper they are written on. Ours was real and has morphed into where we are - good times.

Unlike most 'plans' there was an actual plan for what specifically to do to make it all happen. Setting aspirational goals is easy. Doing the work to make it happen is hard. Getting, accepting and learning form bad news is hard. We've done that, and still are doing it. Let's hope that learning is part of our DNA now.

I have been involved in so many strategic plans that I am a total cynic about them. Mostly they are worth less than the paper they are written on. Ours was real and has morphed into where we are - good times.
Sticking to the plan/course is also hard - accepting set-backs and having faith in the process through adversity - not deviating.

I'm looking at you "Focus on Footy".

Sticking to the plan/course is also hard - accepting set-backs and having faith in the process through adversity - not deviating.

I'm looking at you "Focus on Footy".

Even now we have a plan and we're sticking to it. We have a team that is capable of playing a different style to everyone else, cause we deliberately built that team, and have kept building it. We're ridiculously inclusive, and in being so include everyone that wants to support the Tigers. We make guys that don't fit a 'typical' footy club (say the Crows and their macho crap) and allow them to thrive - 2 Mums, Marlion, Sydney. We are deliberately building something to be bigger and more sustainable. So far so good.

If you use Reflex it works

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's hard to fully appreciate that way back then it seemed a slim chance Benny would come to us rather than continue his rise with the AFL, and an even slimmer chance that he would get close to the ambitious targets he set in 2010.

There's absolutely no way we could have done it without him.

The most honest part of it all is that Benny lived it.
As he said "Our Plan is based on TRUTH".

He knew exactly what he was talking about with the challenge of not being viewed as an era of failure.
He knew exactly how himself, Richo, Tony Free, Knights etc all felt in their guts.

"If you know, you know"

The foundation of our success - Benny Gale. Simple as that.

He had the vision and charisma to lead the club out of the quagmire it had been drowning in for decades. He was able to identify clearly what was anchoring us to the bottom half of the ladder and, most importantly, the realistic step by step solution to fix it. Most importantly, he then had the leadership to sell his plan to the right people.

Clearing our debt gave us the opportunity to compete once more. It allowed us to fund recruitment plus improve our facilities and coaches to develop these players. For decades our list was one of the poorest in the league because we rarely chose the right player and then never educated them to improve.

Gale also was instrumental is driving the necessity of stability at the club from board to VFL level. Gale publicly backed the coach and we stuck with Dimma through the disastrous 2016 season. We needed change so brought in stronger assistant coaches to support him - all this would never have occurred if we weren't financially and culturally strong and that all started with Gale.

People point to our playing list with Cotch, Dusty, Jack and Rance as the reason for our success, other acknowledge Dimma for his evolution of coaching. Some accredit Balmy and the board and yet other say Hartley and our recruitment/development team need the most accolades. In the end though, without Gale's early leadership to eradicate the debt and get everyone moving in the same unified direction - none of this would have happened.

Imho Gale deserves a statue at Punt Road!

The foundation of our success - Benny Gale. Simple as that.

He had the vision and charisma to lead the club out of the quagmire it had been drowning in for decades. He was able to identify clearly what was anchoring us to the bottom half of the ladder and, most importantly, the realistic step by step solution to fix it. Most importantly, he then had the leadership to sell his plan to the right people.

Clearing our debt gave us the opportunity to compete once more. It allowed us to fund recruitment plus improve our facilities and coaches to develop these players. For decades our list was one of the poorest in the league because we rarely chose the right player and then never educated them to improve.

Gale also was instrumental is driving the necessity of stability at the club from board to VFL level. Gale publicly backed the coach and we stuck with Dimma through the disastrous 2016 season. We needed change so brought in stronger assistant coaches to support him - all this would never have occurred if we weren't financially and culturally strong and that all started with Gale.

People point to our playing list with Cotch, Dusty, Jack and Rance as the reason for our success, other acknowledge Dimma for his evolution of coaching. Some accredit Balmy and the board and yet other say Hartley and our recruitment/development team need the most accolades. In the end though, without Gale's early leadership to eradicate the debt and get everyone moving in the same unified direction - none of this would have happened.

Imho Gale deserves a statue at Punt Road!

89678687-1D1E-4396-AA4A-6BC8B6687855.gif

Dimma - Ten Years Ago

Was most interested in how he said he had learnt the most tactically from Chocco and for motivational tactics, he learnt the most from Sheedy...

I love this quote from the end of his interview 10 years a go -

“It would just be great if we could turn all those people into members. You can imagine the day when there’s 60,000 Richmond faithful at the ‘G’, and we’re playing Essendon, and there’s only 20,000 Bombers fans . . . it becomes like a cauldron.

“That would be outstanding.”

:p

20Gale0203_620.jpg

WINNING NOTHING!

We will do the same.

From this gathering on:

So must WE.

• zero debt
• 75,000 members

a wonderful and passionate post

Dimma - Ten Years Ago

Was most interested in how he said he had learnt the most tactically from Chocco and for motivational tactics, he learnt the most from Sheedy...

I love this quote from the end of his interview 10 years a go -

“It would just be great if we could turn all those people into members. You can imagine the day when there’s 60,000 Richmond faithful at the ‘G’, and we’re playing Essendon, and there’s only 20,000 Bombers fans . . . it becomes like a cauldron.

“That would be outstanding.”

:p

I'd love to hear his thoughts on the cauldron that was created on Prelim Final Day 2017!

Benny Gale when pressed by the media about whether we should ask for handout's from the AFL ie: priority pick, cash etc

" we got ourselves into this mess and we will get ourselves out of it "

We did all this without running to the AFL with our hand out unlike Melbourne, North Melbourne, Gold Coast and last but not least Carltoon who had no shame in begging for help.

it is nearly incomprehensible for me to think how Benny had the vision and the insight to make a speech like that after what he went through as a tiger player and what we all went through as tiger supporters during the dark ages.

Benny Gales speech was bold, it was questionable, it was bordering on asking the question, is Benny sane?
it was a sales pitch, it was inspirational, it was like speeches of famous men and woman throughout history who had to sell their vision before they even took their first step.
They’re the ones who climbed Everest, went to the north pole, found the America’s, inspired revolutions and accomplished these feats against the odds. Benny Gale is a Dreamer, an explorer, a visionary and more than anything a lighthouse whos light shone so brightly that all the great men and woman at the Richmond FC were able to navigate us into the dawn of a new age.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back