DonAce

All Australian
Veteran NFL Mock Draft Participant
Jun 23, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Titans Wield The Axe

In the first major move of the offseason, the Titans have cut a whole load of their starters to get under the cap. Derrick Mason, Samari Rolle, Kevin Carter and Fred Miller are the noteable names let go, and the first two in particular should get a fair bit of interest.

Not sure where Miller will end up, he gave away something like 13 penalties and allowed 13 sacks, hardly ringing numbers for an older, expensive right tackle.

Going to be an interesting off-season!

coasting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardies
Re: Titans Wield The Axe

Well, they are a whopping $27 million over the salary cap so they have to cut a lot of starters and top up with cheap rookies. Same thing happened with the Baltimore Ravens a few years ago (also a couple of years after they made a superbowl) and they made the finals a year later. I wonder if they will also release McNair, I think they probably will. I have a soft spot for the Titans, being the old Houston Oilers. I really enjoyed the old battles between the Oilers and the Bengals in the AFC central... the wild shoot-outs between Boomer and Warren Moon's 'run and shoot' offense. Shame we are no longer in the same division.

Stealth bomber

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2000
Denver, Colorado
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
GB Packers, STL Cards, PHI Flyers

I miss the Oilers too. Earl Campbell and Billy White Shoes Johnson and Bum Phillips and "luvya blue". Never been able to really warm to the Titans (or the Texans) for that matter.

Relocation sucks.

Pheret

Debutant
Feb 28, 2004
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth

Completely lacklustre and inadequate management and ownership. As a Titans fan, I am filthy at this news! Who rightfully lets themselves get $27 million dollars over their heads in salary cap dealings in this day and age?!? Way to go Bud. One losing Superbowl appearance in the 8 or so seasons that we've been 'trying to keep the squad together'. That really payed off, didn't it?

Losing Rolle and Mason is what's really going to hurt us. Miller is getting on and is in his twilight, although we don't have a host of promising youngsters coming through on our offensive line. Nedney has barely kicked a ball in the past two seasons due to separate season-ending injuries, and Anderson has more than amply backed us up. Holcombe basically lost out his job to Fleming through the year, who's been promising as a rookie return man and backfield receiver. Nevertheless, Robert's strong run-blocking abilities will be missed. As for Carter, in him we lose a true club servant and dedicated Titan who gave valuable leadership to our young crew of Defensive Ends coming through in our second-rounders from last year in Odom and LaBoy. Yet he is advancing in years too.

I can't help but think the Rolle decision was related to his incident the past week. No way we'd willingly give him up otherwise. Such a promising talent, our leading Cornerback. He formed a lethal combination with Williams and Dyson in times of old. As for Mason, his loss decimates our receiving stocks. Calico is a great talent, undoubtedly. How he backs up from his injury this past year and shows more promise from his first season we won't know. Beyond him, only Bennett is a recognised talent, and even he started out as a QB in college. I can't help but think his numbers this past year were a slight fluke, helped in part by Volek's surprisingly good play in the latter half of the year, after we were forced to abandon the run game due to Brown's toe chronically playing up. The decision to offload McCareins looks as if it might hurt us a bit here. I really rated him as a great talent, acquired cheaply though the draft. The Jets did well getting him.

You can now add these names to a host of others rapidly departing Nashville. Franchise players in Eddie George, Jevon Kearse and Robaire Smith have all been forced out already due to the extravagent spending in place at the Titans. There's a lesson in all of this for all the clubs: RESPECT THE SALARY CAP!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

The Business

Debutant
Aug 7, 2004
Under a dead ohio sky
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Celtics,Patriots,Ford,Team Quest

Hope New England get Rolle! We need another cb and he would be a good fit

imagine the corners of asante samuel and Rolle with Harrison and Wilson (arguably the hardest hitting safety combination in the league) as safeties with Randall Gay filling in the nickel package.

Would anyone score on us in a game?? Im being serious

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn

The Business said:
Hope New England get Rolle! We need another cb and he would be a good fit

imagine the corners of asante samuel and Rolle with Harrison and Wilson (arguably the hardest hitting safety combination in the league) as safeties with Randall Gay filling in the nickel package.

Would anyone score on us in a game?? Im being serious

Bloody bandwagoner your time will come you scum bag !!!

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

tige19 said:
Bloody bandwagoner your time will come you scum bag !!!
it'll be coming very soon. the Jets will become the AFC East powerhouse over the next few years. Apart from C-Mawee, RB- Martin, QB-Pennington, and DT-Ferguson, all of NYJ's starters are 27 or under. We will have undoubtedly one of the best defensive lines in the NFL (need to bolster the secondary a tad though and will do via the draft and FA market) and the poaching of Titans OC-Heimerdinger will impove an impotent offence within an organisation which very nearly knocked out the 16-2 Steelers in the Divisional play-off. I wouldn't be surprised if special teams came in for an over haul - Gowin and Brien need to get the flick.

mcgarnacle said:
it'll be coming very soon. the Jets will become the AFC East powerhouse over the next few years. Apart from C-Mawee, RB- Martin, QB-Pennington, and DT-Ferguson, all of NYJ's starters are 27 or under. We will have undoubtedly one of the best defensive lines in the NFL (need to bolster the secondary a tad though and will do via the draft and FA market) and the poaching of Titans OC-Heimerdinger will impove an impotent offence within an organisation which very nearly knocked out the 16-2 Steelers in the Divisional play-off. I wouldn't be surprised if special teams came in for an over haul - Gowin and Brien need to get the flick.

I sensed someone mention my Steelers... so here I am.

Well, the Jets are definately a team under the radar and will GIVE the SB a shake next few seasons ... I agree McGarnacle. Titans = Leeds United

DonAce

All Australian
Jun 23, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

...and my Bears finally sign someone decent at reciever, and with pick 4 in the draft and no notable departures, hopefully something to smile about next year.

Mr Muhammad, come on down!

Muhammad is a fantastic signing for the Bears. :cool:

They have plenty of cap space and they were crying out for a top line receiver. Now if they could just keep Grossman on the park next season.

Muhsin is a quality player and quality receiver and will do wonders for the Bears passing game (did they have one last season?).

Moss to the Raiders is an interesting one. Don't they have enough ego's on that team already? I guess in Oakland you can never have enough.

Watching the Raiders implode again should be entertaining though. :)

DonAce

All Australian
Jun 23, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

Put it this way. Mushin's stats last year dwarf those of the next FOUR Bears recievers, COMBINED. Dave Terrell (who is quickly turning into a bust) went 42 receptions for 699 yards and one TD. Bobby Wade went 42/481/0, Bernard Berrian went 15/225/2 and Justin Gage went 12/156/0.

Combined: 111 receptions, 1,561 yards and 3 TDs.
Mushin: 93 receptions, 1405 yards and 16 TDs.

:p

As for Moss, the Vikings look like they'll be able to land a pretty good replacement for Moss anyway, in either Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards, if he falls. The Bears were the red hot tip to take one of those guys with pick 4, but they have Mushin now, so it's no certainty they'll pick a wideout at 4.

Randy Moss couldn't have gone to a more fitting team. I'm just glad he's not going to be torching my team a few times a year anymore. :p

Although my allegiances are with the Saints, I'm a big fan of the Bears, especially the defence. Azumah, McQuarters, Briggs, Tillman, Green - I love em all. Urlacher I'm warming to - but a fantastic player too.

If they can keep Grossman fit, and Mushin can step in an keep producing, Terrell could become a very valuable #2 receiver. And if Thomas Jones can reproduce his early season form (without a passing game his life was tough late last season), I reckon the Bears could have a handy offence.

Use that #4 pick for another RB - preferably one that has good hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DonAce

All Australian
Jun 23, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

There's word that McQuarters could be cut, since we have 2 guys clearly ahead of him at CB - Tillman and Azumah, and another guy who is on par with him in Vasher. 3 million dollars for a nickelback and special teams player is a bit steep.

The secondary looks solid with Tillman, Azumah/Vasher, Brown and Green. The defensive line is solid, with the puff coming from Harris and Ogunleye, and what's not to love about the Briggs/Urlacher combination, if only we could find someone to play strongside LB.

As for the #4 pick, I personally wouldn't mind if they traded down and picked up TE Heath Miller and the best available running back at the lower end of the first round. With Mushin, we've got no needs that need immediate attention, and that would essentially plug two holes for the price of one. We'd have a ready to go tight end (though one not worth pick 4), and a backup for TJ capable of replacing the departing Anthony Thomas.

But knowing Jerry Angelo, he'll go for the gold and use the pick, hopefully it's not a bust. I still wouldn't mind Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards in Bear colours, with or without Mushin.

Well scrub Terrell. The Bears have released him.

It will be interesting how this plays out for the Bears. Other than Muhammad it's a pretty inexperienced receiving group. Muhammad is definately an improvement on Terrell, but IMO they still need to add depth now they've cut Terrell.

As for McQuarters, I'd love to see him at New Orleans. We need some players on defence that play with enthusiasm. Mike McKenzie almost single-handedly turned the defence’s attitude in the second half of the season. Another like him would be great (although we have some more pressing needs)

DonAce

All Australian
Jun 23, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

Looks almost certain now that we'll pick up either Edwards or Williams in the draft to go alongside Mushin.

mattyc2422

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Oct 1, 2001
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BH, SAS, BRFC, MVFC.
Titans sign 36 undrafted free agents

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section=7&screen=news&news_id=41017

:eek:

Titans Undrafted Free Agents

Player School

WR Jason Anderson Wake Forest
RB Charles Anthony Tennessee State
LB Brian Atkinson Northern Illinois
DE Todd Bates Alabama
QB Shane Boyd Kentucky
WR Chris Bush Tulane
WR Vincent Cartwright Houston
DT Brandon Dabdoub Colorado
WR Ellis Debrow Delta State
FB Jimmy Dixon Georgia Tech
FB Robert Douglas Memphis
LB Nigel Eldridge Alabama-Birmingham
OL Mike Erickson Nebraska
QB Gino Guidugli Cincinnati
TE Ben Hall Clemson
CB Antoine Harris Louisville
LB Travis Harris Florida
DB Sindey Haugabrook Delaware
S Jamacia Jackson South Carolina
RB Terry Jackson Southern Illinois
WR Earvin Johnson UNLV
RB Corey Larkins Tennessee
DE Karlton Neal Tennessee
WR Alonzo Nix Chattanooga
QB Marcus Randall LSU
RB Walter Reyes Syracuse
T Stefan Rodgers Lambuth
C Joel Rodriguez Miami-Fl.
LB Robert Rodriguez Texas-El Paso
G Will Rogers Mississippi State
WR O.J. Small Florida
DE Kenneth Smith Benedict College
TE Jimmy St. Louis Murray State
CB Kevin Timothee Florida International
DT Marcus White Murray State
DE Alton Wright Miami-Fla.

coasting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardies
Re: Titans sign 36 undrafted free agents

The Titans cut alot of players to get under the cap and are obviously looking at providing competition between these undrafted free agents in hoping one or more can make the roster.

vince young's combine results

there is a rumour that vince yound scored a 6 out of 50 for his wonderlic test that measures inteligence and speed to grasp concepts. if it is true it is the lowest score ever recorded at the combine. for comparison, alex smith scored a 40 last year.

the texans gm, and a few others are now saying that this report is untrue, but it can't be offically conformed or denied until week.

if it is true, i think vy will be overtaken by a number of players and have him possibly slipping out of the top ten, almost definitely being overtaken on the qb chart by jay cutler

i reckon he will be a bust, not just based on this, but i could easily be proven wrong

Oct 5, 2004
Point Cook
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Red Sox, Man U, Chi Bears
Re: vince young's combine results

This is the last thing GM's take into account before deciding on who to take, dropping out of the top 10 way, way over-dramatising it, dropping out of the top 5 is even going too far.

GM's look what they can do on a football field, Rose Bawl MVP ring a bell, 450 total yards ring a bell? against a USC team on a 30+ win streak.

He may have an awkward motion but he gets it done more than most others, and one hell of a scrambler, I doubt he'll drop too far.

coasting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardies

Vince Young has bust written all over him. It is very, very important for a QB to be able to learn a playbook. If he can't, he is useless. I remember reading somewhere if someone scores under 12 it is considered by GMs that they will have trouble learning a playbook. He scored a 6, which is terrible. Just goes to show how much of a dumbed-down playbook Texas used for him. This is going to sink him big time, no doubt about it.

coasting said:
Vince Young has bust written all over him. It is very, very important for a QB to be able to learn a playbook. If he can't, he is useless. I remember reading somewhere if someone scores under 12 it is considered by GMs that they will have trouble learning a playbook. He scored a 6, which is terrible. Just goes to show how much of a dumbed-down playbook Texas used for him. This is going to sink him big time, no doubt about it.

exactly, texas's playbook was simple. lineup in shot gun and do 1 of three things

rb draw, qb draw or fake the rb draw and throw to a stationary te or wr about 7-12 yrds down field

DaSawx said:
This is the last thing GM's take into account before deciding on who to take, dropping out of the top 10 way, way over-dramatising it, dropping out of the top 5 is even going too far.

GM's look what they can do on a football field, Rose Bawl MVP ring a bell, 450 total yards ring a bell? against a USC team on a 30+ win streak.

He may have an awkward motion but he gets it done more than most others, and one hell of a scrambler, I doubt he'll drop too far.

did you see the game though. brad smith does that sort of thing regularly and he isn't mentioned as a top5 draft pick.

usc's defense isn't a great unit, and as i said before, all of youngs throws were off playaction in shotgun to a staionary wr. no nfl can win wth sucha limited playbook

Remove this Banner Ad

Back