Teams Tennessee Titans - The Music City Oilers ™

Remove this Banner Ad

Titans president/CEO Steve Underwood continues to insist the team is not for sale.

Rumors have been percolating for years at this point, but the Titans continue to deny them. When there's this much smoke, fire usually follows, but at least for the moment, there aren't any concrete reasons to doubt Underwood's assertions. The league is reportedly concerned with the Titans' ownership structure, which is labyrinth and confusing. It's amusing the league is concerned with the Titans' structure less than a week after ignoring all manner of its own rules as the Rams were allowed to relocate to Los Angeles.

Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter

Titans president and CEO Steve Underwood admitted there are "issues" with the team's ownership structure, but he denied the league is trying to force a sale.

"The league has never once indicated to us that they are attempting to force the sale," Underwood said. "I’ve never heard those words used. I think they’re continuing to work with us on trying to resolve the ownership issues, and in the meantime, none of those things are affecting the operation of the club." Underwood refused to divulge the specific issues in the ownership structure but said the team is working with the league to fix them. Pro Football Talk reported the lingering issues could lead to litigation between the Titans and the NFL, who would push for a sale if the issues cannot be resolved. The uncertain situation could explain why Tennessee decided to stick with Mike Mularkey at head coach instead of committing to a long-term deal with someone from outside the organization.

Source: Nashville Tennessean

Profootballtalk reports the Titans' ownership issues are the result of the fact that late owner Bud Adams "did not establish a clear succession plan."

The team is now divvied up between three separate branches of Adams' family, and lacks a majority owner. The family is attempting to make Adams' daughter Amy Strunk the controlling stake, but that would require buying out the other two groups. It's unclear if Strunk has those sort of funds. If not, the league could eventually force the sale of the team.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

New Titans OC Terry Robiskie said Marcus Mariota will not have trouble adjusting to his offense.

Despite the return of Mike Mularkey, Mariota will be learning his second offense in as many seasons. Robiskie thinks the sophomore quarterback will have a smooth transition to the redesigned offense, but constant change is not the way to develop a franchise quarterback. Unfortunately for Mariota, this coaching staff has the look of one which could be out the door quickly as well.

Source: titansonline.com

Titans president and CEO Steve Underwood said the organization is making progress towards satisfying the league's ownership requirements.

"We are confident that the next time we meet with the Commissioner," Underwood said, "he will be satisfied that [owner] Amy Adams Strunk has exactly what he said she needs — local operating control and full authority to represent the Titans in league decisions." The league requires one majority owner to represent the team both locally and in league matters. Strunk owns just a third of the organization with the rest of the shares spread out between the late Bud Adams' other daughter, Susie Adams Smith, and the heirs of his late son, Kenneth Adams III. Strunk has been operating as the controlling owner, but the league likely wants her to acquire a majority stake. Underwood's comments suggest she is close to acquiring the necessary shares.

Source: Nashville Tennessean

Titans controlling owner Amy Adams Strunk continues to insist the team is not for sale.

Adams Strunk is the "controlling owner," but lacks a majority stake. That puts the Titans in violation of NFL rules, but president and CEO Steve Underwood recently said they were making progress toward meeting the league's ownership requirements. Rumors that the team will be sold have persisted since Bud Adams' death in 2013, but the smoke has yet to produce fire.

Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter

A source with "knowledge of the discussions" tells Profootballtalk the Titans' ownership situation remains a "mess," and that "the possibility of a forced sale is still very real."

Per Mike Florio, the league is "not satisfied by efforts to address issues with the hierarchy." The Titans have lacked a majority owner since Bud Adams' death, with the rights spread out amongst three branches of his family. Adams' daughter Amy Adams Strunk has been put forward as the controlling owner, but the team still hasn't complied with the league's wishes. Florio reports Adams' grandson Kenneth Adams IV "may be inclined to push for a sale of the franchise if he ultimately doesn’t have a path to ownership and control."

A source with "knowledge of the discussions" tells Profootballtalk the Titans' ownership situation remains a "mess," and that "the possibility of a forced sale is still very real."

Per Mike Florio, the league is "not satisfied by efforts to address issues with the hierarchy." The Titans have lacked a majority owner since Bud Adams' death, with the rights spread out amongst three branches of his family. Adams' daughter Amy Adams Strunk has been put forward as the controlling owner, but the team still hasn't complied with the league's wishes. Florio reports Adams' grandson Kenneth Adams IV "may be inclined to push for a sale of the franchise if he ultimately doesn’t have a path to ownership and control."

Thank f*** Bud left Houston...

Titans sign scapegoat CB Anton Blake who had his best game against Andrew Luck a couple years ago.

I think he'll be serviceable. If he can pick off Luck again and Titans win.. the FA acquisition would be an instant pay-off.

t.y.-hilton-antwon-blake-nfl-indianapolis-colts-pittsburgh-steelers.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I only just found this board and thought wow other Australian Titans fans! Who would have thought it! I can see there has been some intermittent discussion in the past but nothing for a while.

So I’ll just put up my random thoughts each week and see if there is anyone interested in discussing anything. Could just end up talking to myself. But whatever.

Random thoughts after week 1

Tajae Sharpe!!! How good is it to have a receiver who actually works to get open, and grabs 50/50 balls. No Tians receiver has done that, to be honest, probably since Derrick Mason. This guy is going to get 80+ receptions this year. And could be the steal of the draft. Thank-you Jon Robinson

I thought over the preseason that Marcus looked very confident, flipping the ball around mid run for example. . And he looked it again in W1. Unfortunately that is what led to the pick 6. Obviously he should have thrown it away. It looked like he was trying to do too much. Hopefully something that he’ll learn from.

What's with all trick plays? I get that it is the exotic part of exotic smash mouth. And I like the concept. But where was the smash mouth? Surely you need to establish the smash mouth before you roll out the exotic? Bit more balance need there I think.

I love Jon Robinson. I know it's early days, but he’s one smart cookie. And I think he knows how to build a roster. And surprise surprise it's with players who actually know how to play! He’s drafted players who were productive at college level. And they will be productive at NFL level too. Maybe some of them lack the athleticism to be superstars. But at the moment I’ll settle for a roster that has a shot at winning 6-7 games this year and 10 games in a year or 2.

Looking at W2 with Morgan likely out I’m hoping to see Dodd on the field more. I like some of what Bass has done, but Dodd will provide far better pass rush and by the lack of statistical production out of the defence last week, we might need all the help we can get.

Lastly the Rams! Well 28 zip. I hoped they would be bad but I didn’t see them losing by so much to a team that are at the bottom of a lot of power rankings. So fingers crossed for a second kings ransom.

Week 2 -

WOW what a win. Thats the type of game that makes me believe we have come along way. At the start of the year I thought we’d go about 6-10 at the least and maybe as good as 8-8. After we shot ourselves in the foot in week 1 I thought maybe 6-10 was optimistic, now I feel like that's more than achievable again.

Cornerbacks were horrible! Just so bad. I think McCourty looks just a bit rusty and should get better as the season goes on, but McCain and Cox looked just so bad. Time to start looking at corners for next year's draft. (On that note unfortunately the Rams won.)

Dood looked ok. Got the sack albeit on an obvious passing down but still got the job done. The second hands to the face penalty seemed a bit harsh. He’s not as quick as Morgan, but seems to have a lot more power. I noticed his PFF run grade was a quite high 75. He only dropped into coverage once. So I imagine if that continues it will lead to a more predictable defense.

Sharpe wasn’t as good as week 1 but still managed 4 for 33. It looked like the Lions put a lot more work into him. But it was also good to see Walker have a bigger game. Just shows how important it is to have multiple weapons on offense.

I managed to not spoiler myself. Unlike week one where I accidentally saw a score I managed to keep myself spoiler free throughout the day. So I really enjoyed the last quarter of that game almost like it was the first real game of the year for me.

I guess that's it. Looking forward to week 3, I read today that we are 1 point favorites which I thought was a bit surprising.

Yeah the defense is hard to get a read on. certainly giving up less points then last year but still looks shaky at times. Very reliant on Casey, Morgan and Orakpo. Sean Spence has been handy in getting Avery Williamson off the field in passing downs. That has made us better in the red zone. Hoping Dodd will develop into the 3rd pass rusher.

Week 3-

So obvious issues at some positions. Cornerback. They went after Cox and beat him repeatedly. And its not like a personal change could potentially fix things because behind him we have Antwon Blake, possibly one of the worst players in the league. McCourty played better though, so atleast we have one corner.

Wide Receiver. I'm not saying it was a great game by Mariota in fact in was probably one of his worse. But I think a lot of the offense's struggles go on the wide receivers. There was the back shoulder pass to Sharpe early on that should have been caught. Johnson tried to body catch one that could have been taken out in front that led to an easy breakup for the defender. Mathews had a couple in the hands that he couldn't hold on to. There also periods at the end of the 2nd quater were it looked like no one could get open. Atleast with the receivers I can still see potential for improvement. Especially with Kendall and hopefully Walker coming back in.

Jase Amaro was great and we should keep him in. Obviously better receiver then blocker but we should try to developer him.

Defensive front 7 were solid. Obviously they were getting the ball out pretty quick. But I thought the pressure was good. Its a pity someone didn't get Carr down when he escaped and made the big play to Crabtree.

I give us some chance against the Texans this week, especially with Watt out. We have had a chance in all 3 games so far. Very different from a couple of years ago when we were getting blown out every week. But it still feels like we haven't turned the corner. Kanye this will be the week...

Week 4-

If it wasn't for those first 2 TD's we gave up early this could have been the game that changed the script for the Titans. But we did and now its all speculation about Murlarky, The ST coach gets the boot, and it feels like the best we can hope for is a 5-6 win season. Obviously with some weak teams over the next few weeks that will tell the tale of the season. If we get to mid year with 3-4 wins that might allow us to pull things together in the second half and maybe get to 7.... maybe.

Obviously there has been a lot of criticism of of the passing game. Robinski has come in for the most criticism. And I guess some of that is fair enough. But I think Mariota has to shoulder some of the blame as well. His interception this week was awful. That wasn't scheme, that was just a terrible throw!

Special teams.... Wow just wow. How is it possible that a team is so bad in professional football. You could get a Div II college team out there and they wouldn't make such basic errors. ST have been terrible for years, I can't see them getting any better anytime soon.

I'm already starting to look ahead to the draft. The obvious needs being Wide receiver and corner. but I'm becoming more concerned about the defensive line. Outside of Casey, Woods is just ok. Neither DeQuan Jones and Blackson look like they are improving. If anything Jones is regressing. So don't be surprised if one of our first rounders is used on Jonathon Allan or Malik McDowell. If they are still on the board. The other area of need is inside linebacker. Avery Williamson somehow continues to coast by without criticism. But he is a terribly one dimensional player. His pass coverage is constantly exposed. Anytime a team wants to pass on first down it simply needs to look who he is matched up on for an easy completion. He will need to be upgraded at some point if we hope to contiune to improve.

Week 6- (sorry i missed week 5, Holiday!)

0.500 - Wow feels strange to be 6 games in and still with an ok record. Malarkey is doing... well ok. In honesty we are About where we should be. That is we're an ok team these days and Marcus gives hope that we could be better then average in the not too distant future. The question is will Malarkey ever be better then ok.

Mariota had a good stat line. And if it wasn't for that that bad pass on the run resulting in his interception he would have had a great day. Seems like he is starting to play more within himself. And thats really the key for him now. One of the commentators said they thought he played more instinctively last week against the Dolphins. I'd say the opposite is true. I'd say he is starting to play more conservatively and as a result he is playing better.

The run game struggled more then it had in any game this year but it was still better then any game from last year. Even when Murray is hit and has nowhere to go he manages to lean for a couple. It's so important to the run game and ball control offense to get that extra yard or 2.

The defense was solid enough with 6 sacks, but we did give a couple of big plays. Missed tackles have started to become a problem again. How can safety get to this level and still just throw an arm out as if that will be enough to stop some 250 pound tight end. I was hopefully that safety was no longer a position of need but we still need help back there.

Special teams is still bad. I would love to see them try to get McBride off practice squad, I think having him as a gunner would make our coverage unit a lot better. But for now we have to make do with Blake and Sims and their arm tackles.

Week 6 - Just when I thought we we're getting on track...

Special teams have hurt us so badly this year and again yesterday. Muffed onside kick and fumbled extra point. I don't even know how a special teams unit can be so very very bad. They have given up points in the last 4 games. Mariani has been decent on returns. The coverage units have been appalling. If I had any say in it Spernaw would not be seen again in a Titans uniform. He adds nothing tho the team and makes huge mistakes over and over again.

LB's terrible. PFF had the stat line of Luck 9-9 against Williamson and Spence. This is an area that will need upgrading at the end of the year.

DB's terrible. Not sure why we are still going with these old guys who don't cut it. Throw Sims in there, can't be much worse. I have noticed more and more snaps going to Byard which is a positive.

Mariota terrible. way, way off, on a lot of passes. He can't throw deep outside I don't why we keep trying. his deep stuff is better in the middle of the field. (although he's not real great on them either)

It was good to see Sharpe look better this week especially in the 2 minute (he is always better in the 2 min, hurry up stuff for some reason). I still have high hopes that he can be a big piece of the receiving corps going forward.

I'm dialling up Mariota's number for FF this week. Love the idea of getting on the hot handed QB. Indy's DT D shouldn't hold the Titans from scoring less than 30… even though it's in their house. This game could easily fetch 50+ points /game. Last time they played it was a matter of the Titans coughing up the ball in the end zone after a sack.. inside the last two minutes. Colts are gonna score at will like they did a month ago but the Titans will be ready, set, go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back