bunsen burner

Hall of Famer
Veteran 30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 12, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
vosstheboss said:
is Layton back to the form that got him to the Number 1 spot in the Ranking?.
No. His serving has improved a lot but he's making a lot of unforced errors. Will have to step up if he wants to compete against Roddick and Federer.

If he wins this tournament (my tip) I'll start to say he is back to his best.

m.diddy

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2004
#11 on AC's list.
pazza said:
Now a real question.

When I learned to play in the late 80's, we were taught to play one-handed backhand shots..where the bloody hell have they gone?
Watch Joachin Johanson awesome one handed back hand shot. Also the two handed shot has a lot more control and therefore is taught to people before the one handed and there isn't a great deal difference in power imo

Funkalicous

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 29, 2002
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Southport Sharks, Chicago Bulls
I'll say yes. The two players that are ranked higher than Hewitt weren't ready when Lleyton was ranked number 1. In other words, I think Hewitt peaked earlier than his young competitors and capitalised on an era going through a 'youth' transition. As a result, the standard of tennis is much higher these days and has forced Hewitt to play a more aggressive brand of tennis.

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
milnedog44 said:
Watch Joachin Johanson awesome one handed back hand shot. Also the two handed shot has a lot more control and therefore is taught to people before the one handed and there isn't a great deal difference in power imo
Most of the single handed orthodox grip backhands are extremely if you want to hit a flat backhand.Most of the spaniards in classical grip backhands , the likes of barasetegi, alberto martin, albert costa are classic examples of that. However you cannot compare that to roger federers single its a western grip which allows him to flatten out his backhands.Most double handed backhands are flat..and generates more pace due to lack of topspin and wrist action. Modern day spaniards however use a different due to lack of spanish success on hardcourt which orthodox grip backhands

(Log in to remove this ad.)

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hewitt has little to no chance of regaining the #1 position, regardless of Federer. Hewitt has no weapons other than tenacity, and he will soon be eclipsed. He will stay top 20, probably top 10, but I just don't think he's good enough.

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
red+black said:
Hewitt has little to no chance of regaining the #1 position, regardless of Federer. Hewitt has no weapons other than tenacity, and he will soon be eclipsed. He will stay top 20, probably top 10, but I just don't think he's good enough.
IMHO he is 2nd best in the world.He lost to eventual champions in all the 4 slams last year.Extremely unlucky to be beaten by federer because there wasnt much he or in that case anyone can do about it.Reminds me of poor old michael chang.

Back