Sports Tennis - sport of.....

Remove this Banner Ad

OP is right about the wanker fans. Only need to look at Australian Open tickets prices to know who it's aimed at.

I enjoy tennis but really only watch the Aus Open, dunno why.

favourable coverage on TV. I couldn't even tell you in what month the other slams are played in.

Tennis is really a rubbish sport to watch, and I cringe at guys like Federer who are like the Michael Buble's of the sporting world ie. the kind that appeal to grandmas and aunties

Not unlike the Olympics, tennis becomes a lot more enjoyable when you watch overseas coverage. Seven doesn't want to cover it like a sport; it's their vehicle for promoting celebrities, 'glamour' players, sponsors and dogshit TV shows premiering in February.

All FTA sport coverage is the same, it’s just background for the ads about their s**t new shows, most of which will be axed within a month anyway.

All FTA sport coverage is the same, it’s just background for the ads about their s**t new shows, most of which will be axed within a month anyway.

Ten's BBL is okay. I'm not sure if that's deliberate or just because it's still newish so they don't feel like they've got tenure. If it moves to Nine and the usual suspects get involved it'll turn to s**t quickly.

Would love for all you tennis haters to have just watched the first set of de minaur VS Lopez just now on 7mate.

Here you had an 18 year old fast skinny kid against a 34 year old lefty serve volleyer, both playing very different styles of attacking tennis and some outstanding rallies to boot. But of course you probably only wait to see Federer in a first round match destroy an opponent and call tennis boring :)

Good
Australian open is on at a great time of year and for a concentrated two week period.

A lot of the girls are really hot.

Andre Agassi's book - one of the few genuinely good sporting autobiographies.

Tomic and Kyrigos having meltdowns is amusing.

Bad
Actually a pretty boring sport.

Pretty predictable semi finalists in grand slams.

People who are genuinely really in to tennis are usually very boring.

Good
Australian open is on at a great time of year and for a concentrated two week period.

A lot of the girls are really hot.

Andre Agassi's book - one of the few genuinely good sporting autobiographies.

Tomic and Kyrigos having meltdowns is amusing.

Bad
Actually a pretty boring sport.

Pretty predictable semi finalists in grand slams.

People who are genuinely really in to tennis are usually very boring.
So why don't you tell us who's making the semis if it's that predictable?

The OP makes some reasonable points. Tennis exhibition events are just cringeworthy, how anyone could sit through one is beyond me and anyone who finds that s**t funny needs their head checked. As for proper Tennis, it may be overrated a tad but the QF's onwards of any grand slam are usually pretty intriguing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best thing I like about tennis is the strategy. I also like how each player has different quirks and abilities, and the match up between players. Even the players hovering around 100 in the world have amazing skill. I also like how surfaces have an impact on outcomes, and the fact that the rules of tennis haven't really changed for centuries, barring hawk-eye and racket technology. This fast4 crap will never take off. Saying that, I would like to have witnessed the era of serve-volley with lower powered rackets, with more tournaments on grass courts.

Sports like AFL, cricket, F1 - the rules change every year. In these sports too, I feel the level of skill has dropped over the years. Players like Buckley, Power, Hird were true masters of their sport with amazing skill sets, but these days athleticism takes precedence. There are players who cant even kick and handpass properly on their non-preferred and missing goals from set shots is common place. In cricket, take away Aaron Finch's huge bat, the small boundaries and the fielding restrictions - the game has made him look good. In motorsport - its all about what team has the most money.

Personally, Id take a tennis contest with something on the line between two good players, than a current day AFL game or ODI cricket match.

In terms of live sporting events, the Aussie Open is by far the best sporting even I have ever attended, with Wimbledon and the French Open close behind.

In terms of playing the sports, I can say that tennis clubs are rife with w***ers. Playing pennant tennis and having to umpire your own matches and call your own lines, it gets pretty ordinary. The clubs aren't very homely places - there's no feel like a footy or cricket club where you want to stick around after training and drink with your mates, and get on it on the weekend with them. My time playing baseball I've found the same. I play for a huge baseball club and the club rooms are empty afterwards.

OP is right about the wanker fans. Only need to look at Australian Open tickets prices to know who it's aimed at.

A ground pass is $40 or $30 after 5pm. Best tickets for the men's final are about $900.

They target a pretty broad cross section of fans. They want the toffs snapping up the good tickets to pointy end of the tournament and they want to appeal to families, casual fans and the yobbos and dickheads too. I doubt most of the people yelling and moving about during play paid $500 a ticket to be there.

Navratilova used to kick Evert's ass on the regular.
But Evert was a goddess. Navratilova, not so much.

2dsh7q8.jpg

Last edited:

2dsh7q8.jpg

Clearly you & I go to disparate optometrists then.

Evert-Lloyd was only ever a poser, who pranced about court as if she were God's gift to man.....In the meantime, Martina would hand her ass to her on a plate.

Never has a gal so average, ever been so over-hyped as she was.....And all cause she had married a Pom.

Well, I do have bad vision and the start of glaucoma and a cataract in my left eye, so you could be right.

Never has a gal so average, ever been so over-hyped as she was.....And all cause she had married a Pom.

I personally believe that this was one of her few flaws. She and Jimmy... it should have been...

2dsh7q8.jpg

Saw Chris Evert up close many times back when the AO was at Kooyong and I was always struck by how old she looked (as in weather beaten). Occupational hazard of being a tennis player I suppose but she wasn't so attractive up close I didn't think.

Evert-Lloyd was only ever a poser, who pranced about court as if she were God's gift to man.....In the meantime, Martina would hand her ass to her on a plate.

What??? She was lauded and rightly so long before she married John Lloyd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back