Sport Tennis Thread...a game of broken racquets and short skirts

Remove this Banner Ad

Stosur out in the first round again...

Anyone watching Wimbledon? Matosevic about to win only his second Grand Slam match (first was last tourny at RG) against Verdasco!

More excited about Saville winning last night personally was a really good performance against a rising opponent.

Verdasco plays a style of tennis that suits Matosevic, not that surprising he won actually.

Gutted I missed the match because I've been a bit sick and tried getting up for it but ended up dozing through until the final result jolted me awake and I saw the post-match, but will be doing my best to tune in tonight/tomorrow morning for his clash with Raonic.

After knocking off Nadal it's hard to argue that anyone can go in as a favourite against him, but at the same time you'd have to reckon he'll run out of steam at some point surely? In his favour is he was a WC not a Q so doesn't have that extra couple of matches tiring him out.

Gutted I missed the match because I've been a bit sick and tried getting up for it but ended up dozing through until the final result jolted me awake and I saw the post-match, but will be doing my best to tune in tonight/tomorrow morning for his clash with Raonic.

After knocking off Nadal it's hard to argue that anyone can go in as a favourite against him, but at the same time you'd have to reckon he'll run out of steam at some point surely? In his favour is he was a WC not a Q so doesn't have that extra couple of matches tiring him out.

Nadal hasn't been in great form on grass for a few years now, Raonic is going to be a far harder matchup.

And Kyrgios did play a challenger (Where he won his wildcard) right before Wimbledon, his going to be pretty tired right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nadal hasn't been in great form on grass for a few years now, Raonic is going to be a far harder matchup.

And Kyrgios did play a challenger (Where he won his wildcard) right before Wimbledon, his going to be pretty tired right now.

You can't in any way use that as a reason to diminish what Kyrgios just achieved though. Last year he lost first round, granted, but this was the Fourth Round, he was into the swing of things and was hardly in terrible form. As he said himself, he played well, Kyrgios just played better.

But he didn't go through the 4 (?) rounds of qualifying like someone like Duckworth did. So he will be tired but not that much more tired than someone like Raonic will be.

Also I believe Kyrgios is leading the comp in aces, which will have helped his stamina through matches.

Not taking anything away from Kyrgios in the slightest, it is a fantastic win and he played out of his mind.

That being said Nadal has lost sets so far to the likes of Kukushkin... He might not have been playing poorly but he was hardly in the form of his life (Murray, Djokovic and Federer are all more imposing players on Grass).

The way Kyrgios plays with so much explosive energy is always to take a toll on your body, he hadn't exactly had an easy run through the draw either.

Not taking anything away from Kyrgios in the slightest, it is a fantastic win and he played out of his mind.

That being said Nadal has lost sets so far to the likes of Kukushkin... He might not have been playing poorly but he was hardly in the form of his life (Murray, Djokovic and Federer are all more imposing players on Grass).

The way Kyrgios plays with so much explosive energy is always to take a toll on your body, he hadn't exactly had an easy run through the draw either.

Absolutely, the win against Gasquet I actually just about rate above the Nadal win because of the toll it would have taken on him and the stamina and mental strength needed to push through and win 10-8 in the fifth.

I really hope we get to see a match up with Federer in the SF, as I reckon that would be absolutely fascinating.

Also if he makes the SF his rank will be World Number 30!! Unbelievable.

Absolutely, the win against Gasquet I actually just about rate above the Nadal win because of the toll it would have taken on him and the stamina and mental strength needed to push through and win 10-8 in the fifth.

I really hope we get to see a match up with Federer in the SF, as I reckon that would be absolutely fascinating.

Also if he makes the SF his rank will be World Number 30!! Unbelievable.

Agree the Gasquet win was more impressive that the Nadal victory... 9 match points is crazy.

Agree the Gasquet win was more impressive that the Nadal victory... 9 match points is crazy.

People who say Tennis is a soft sport don't understand the limits these guys push their bodies to.. and beyond. Absolutely ridiculous lengths they go to. So stoked for the kid.

Great win by Kyrgios, with his talent but more importantly his attitude and application it won't be long before he goes past Tomic in the rankings.

Great win by Kyrgios, with his talent but more importantly his attitude and application it won't be long before he goes past Tomic in the rankings.

Won't be long? He's well past him already. Tomic will be over 100 after this Wimbledon, Kyrgios will be at the very least around the 50 mark.

I enjoyed articles coming out saying "Thankfully we don't have to pretend to like Tomic anymore" :p

Won't be long? He's well past him already. Tomic will be over 100 after this Wimbledon, Kyrgios will be at the very least around the 50 mark.

I thought that might be the case, but I wasn't sure what their current rankings were, my post was intended to be a not-so-subtle dig at Tomic's attitude and (lack of) application. Bonz's sig said it better :p

I thought that might be the case, but I wasn't sure what their current rankings were, my post was intended to be a not-so-subtle dig at Tomic's attitude and (lack of) application. Bonz's sig said it better :p

Haha yeah wasn't sure myself then saw an article this morning with the stats. If he makes the semis he'll be just about top 30 which would have to be an almost record leap in ranking.

Just saw the finish of the Lisiki / Halep match. Lisiki definitely did a Tomic.

Lisiki has more talent than anyone on the WTF at the moment, it's an absolute shame she is such an headcase.

Shame about Kyrgios last night, but he was always going to run out of steam at some point, he hasn't had the easiest of runs during the tournament, had played a few challenger events beforehand and has had issues with his fitness in the past.

That being said he has had a fantastic Wimbledon that we can all be proud of and the level of physical development (Endurance) he has had since January is nothing short of fantastic, It really wouldn't surprise me if he was seeded for when the US open comes around as he has no ranking points to defend until after the US open (And even then it is only 70 points so it shouldn't be too much of an issue if he stays active on the circuit).