Remove this Banner Ad

I predict that he’ll be given the maximum penalty that the judge can give him for the crimes he’s found guilty for.

That's what most would be hoping for - but, while not a good comparison, given the bizarre nature of this case, when a child is abducted for ransom motives and providing they are not physically harmed in anyway, the perpetrator/s can often receive sentences of as little as 5 years jail...

Again, while not a good comparison, if you swap 'ransom' for 'obsession', that could at least be a starting point with sentencing - but actual motive is not going to be easy to determine here, given the perpetrator clearly has a few Roos loose in the top paddock...

All they needed for now was one charge that was strong enough to have him thrown in gaol without bail, there will be an array of additional charges by the time he gets to court in my view.
Yep spot on. They had a time limit to charge him with something, or they would have to release him. Further charges later for sure.
I'm guessing sexual offences and probably holding a person against their will. Added to the child stealing. Perhaps more after that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Kelly knew Cleo. Or she was talking to someone right throughout the 18 days that she knew. Who were these people with Kelly in the car when he was arrested?

Female relative and her daughter, 5yo iirc. Sorry, no link but I read that somewhere and can't remember where.

Edit: Two female relatives in their twenties is the story now and according to an Aunty.

Last edited:
That's what most would be hoping for - but, while not a good comparison, given the bizarre nature of this case, when a child is abducted for ransom motives and providing they are not physically harmed in anyway, the perpetrator/s can often receive sentences of as little as 5 years jail...

Again, while not a good comparison, if you swap 'ransom' for 'obsession', that could at least be a starting point with sentencing - but actual motive is not going to be easy to determine here, given the perpetrator clearly has a few Roos loose in the top paddock...
Whatever motive he gives will probably suggest that he could offend again.

The press found his facebook posts the night Cleo was abducted. Some of us knew they were there but weren't absolutely sure at the time if it was the correct account.

The man accused of kidnapping Cleo Smith .. wrote about needing privacy and adults being 'careful online too' the day she disappeared.

Terence Darrell Kelly has been charged with two offences including forcibly taking a child under 16 after four-year-old Cleo was taken from her tent at the Blowholes campsite, in WA, in the early hours of October 16.

Kelly's Facebook profile showed that hours before Cleo's mother discovered her missing, he posted about his need for privacy.

'I can't accept friend requests from strangers... I live a private life and I respect those who are on my friend list to ensure their privacy is respected too,' his Facebook status read.

'Us adults have to be careful online too.'

The post explained he would not become 'mates' with people just because they know his family or other friends.

It's understood the post was made about 5am.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...pDia-vSi50O_ltUoL3VX7IVe7yUarAWT9Hco0XAKjIlAk

Here's my screenshot of the post I screenshot on 3 Nov 2021 around 9pm.

I recall that I screenshot it direct from going to his Terence TezKelz Facebook account, as opposed to getting it 2nd hand from somewhere.

The time on the post is 9:07am Sydney AEST which would be 6:07am WST Carnarvon time (not 5am)

1636196869474.png

It looks interesting.
Dangerous descent into make-believe
Here's some of the most interesting bits in this long article.
'Cleo Smith accused Terence Kelly’s dangerous descent into world of make-believe
PAUL GARVEY SENIOR REPORTER
PAIGE TAYLOR INDIGENOUS AFFAIRS CORRESPONDENT, WA BUREAU CHIEF
authors
1:25PM NOVEMBER 6, 2021
authors

In a dilapidated duplex in a rundown part of Carnarvon known locally as The Bronx, Terence Kelly – the man alleged to have abducted four-year-old Cleo Smith – built himself an elaborate online fantasy.

Mr Kelly, increasingly isolated in the years since the death of a woman locals considered his grandmother, appears to have crossed over into a virtual world of Bratz DeLuca: a name appropriated from one of his favourite make of dolls.

Alone in his housing commission home, with no close family of his own, Mr Kelly operated what appears to be several – and potentially dozens – of different Facebook and Instagram accounts for him and his imaginary children.

In at least one instance, he appeared to use photographs from the profile of a woman and her daughters and use them for the profiles of his fake family. He tagged many of the posts as being in Cronulla, a continent away from Carnarvon.

And he did so while sitting surrounded by an elaborate collection of dolls, stretching from wall to wall, and from floor to ceiling.

Last month, police will allege, Mr Kelly crossed back out of that fantasy world and drove out to the Blowholes campground, 75km north of Carnarvon, to abduct Cleo. There, it is alleged he opened a tent where she slept with her parents, picked up the sleeping girl, and took her back to his home.

Since his arrest, a trail left by Mr Kelly across social media has offered an unsettling insight into his life. His doll obsession and the fantasy family he constructed were documented primarily through Facebook pages under the names of Bratz DeLuca and Terence TezKelz.

Mr Kelly described himself in online profiles as half Australian and half Italian.

Through the DeLuca Facebook account – which has since been deactivated – Mr Kelly posted numerous updates to various doll forums. He also liked a series of different Facebook pages that have taken on different overtones in the wake of this week’s events.

Sources close to the investigation have confirmed that the Bratz DeLuca account belonged to him.

One Bratz DeLuca post on October 18, two days after Cleo disappeared, said “feeling blessed”.

The Bratz DeLuca profile also liked dozens of different pages about dolls, mermaids, Disney princesses and cosplay.

Through a web of fake social media accounts, Mr Kelly appeared to orchestrate conversations between himself and his imaginary “daughters”.

Often, the conversations involved his “children” telling their father how much they loved him.

In another post from January 1 he professed to have spoken with “my son 16 my eldest girls 17 year old, 19 year old and 21 year old plus my 11 year old” about the dangers of the online world.

“As a parent it’s (sic) give you goosebumps and very real knowing predatory people can strike behind the screen and keyboard, I also feel the need to protect my kids more and their friends too also other children around us we must look out for.”

While Mr Kelly isn’t the only man on earth with a doll collection, his apparent personification of the toys sits in contrast to other more conventional collectors.

In one social media foray, “DeLuca” posted photographs of him sitting in a vehicle with one of his dolls. “I love taking my dolls for drive abounds and doing their hair and taking selfies in public,” he wrote.

The picture of a loner with an obsession for dolls who is alleged to have abducted a child sounds like a trope of B-grade movie thrillers.

But criminal psychologists who have worked in the field for decades told The Weekend Australian they had rarely, if ever, seen a case such as this.

James Ogloff, a professor of behavioural science and director of the Centre for Forensic Behavioural Science at Swinburne University, has crossed paths with some of the country’s worst child abductors over his nearly 40-year career.

While he did not want to comment specifically on the allegations in the Kelly case, he said it was extremely atypical for someone alleged to be a child abductor to have an obsession with dolls.

“It goes without saying that it’s very unusual,” he said.

“As a psychologist, one of the things you start to wonder about – and it’s not just in this case – but people who have strange obsessions generally.

“But you also get people who collect things to fill gaps in life. We know, for example, that people who hoard often have underlying psychological issues.”

Similarly, the creation of fake online profiles could be a reflection of someone with a weakening grip on reality. “All of us have some sort of fantasy and we think about things, but we’re in touch with reality. We know what’s real and what’s not real. The question is whether you cross that line of irrationality,” he said.

Another criminal psychologist, who declined to be named, said they’d “not seen anything like it”.

Mr Kelly was known to be close to a woman locals considered his grandmother, Penny Walker. Her death about two years ago marked a change in his behaviour, according to some.

“He became more reclusive,” one person who used to see Mr Kelly in town regularly said.

But Mr Kelly did not stop going out altogether. Three or four times a year, he bought Disney princesses and other little girls’ toys at the local Toyworld. This did not raise eyebrows since Mr Kelly has lots of young relatives.

He was seen in the main street of Carnarvon during the 18 days Cleo was missing. On October 29 – five days before police raided his house and arrested him nearby in simultaneous operations – when Cleo may have been locked away in his house, Mr Kelly took his dying dog to the vet.

The revelations about his online persona have emerged in almost real time. Police have said Mr Kelly became a suspect only late on Tuesday, just hours before detectives burst through the door of his house.

Hordes of online sleuths have been scouring the internet for traces of Mr Kelly’s profile, finding details and accounts before they can be removed. His unusual doll collection and his strange social media presence have added a further bizarre twist to the shocking Cleo Smith story.
Mr Kelly, meanwhile, is facing numerous charges including one count of forcibly take a child under 16.

Additional reporting: Emily Kowal'

Here's my screenshot of the post I screenshot on 3 Nov 2021 around 9pm.

I recall that I screenshot it direct from going to his Terence TezKelz Facebook account, as opposed to getting it 2nd hand from somewhere.

The time on the post is 9:07am Sydney AEST which would be 6:07am WST Carnarvon time (not 5am)

View attachment 1275401
This leads me to believe that he regularly does get messages through Facebook messenger. It also seems he is talking to a network when he states “is adults have to be careful online too”. I wonder if he is warning his fellow likeminded online friends. The police will have found out who had sent him friend requests. He s paranoid at this point too (seeing as he has Cleo in his possession at this time) and is showing frustration and warning off time wasters. He is being quite direct with his instructions on how to contact him.

Did WAPOL interview this regular Blowholes camper soon after Cleo went missing?

Interesting that the property where Cleo was rescued from is reported to only be a one-bedder.

Forensic test results to provide info on who had been using the coloured pencils and pens, will be important in the wider investigation of what the accused was up to.
'Accused child snatcher Terence Kelly was previously seen driving around at the campsite where he was alleged to have abducted Cleo Smith, a local camper says.

The camper, who has strong ties to the area and often spends weekends at the Blowholes campsite, said he knew of Mr Kelly and had seen him several times at the site, about 70km north of Carnarvon, driving a four-wheel-drive.

But the man — who was at the campsite on Saturday — said he never saw Mr Kelly camp the night.'

Officers were seen examining a bedframe in the backyard of the home — with one of them also pictured holding a box of coloured pencils and pens.

The one-bedroom property, located just 1.5km from the local police station and 3km from Cleo’s family home, has been cordoned off for nearly four days while police painstakingly examine every item inside.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back