Society & Culture Terrible baby names

Remove this Banner Ad

At my daughter's kindy there is a boy called Darko and a girl called Sheraz. They're brother and sister.

I've known a couple of Darko's over the years. All of European stock and Gen Xers. One of the Darko's that I used to go to school with, his nephew plays for the Socceroos iirc.

Coincidentally, this was on my FB feed tonight:

Screenshot2012-08-13at110503PM.png

Came across this article several years ago, and whenever someone mentions a s**t name, it springs to mind.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...not-a-girls-name-New-Zealand-court-rules.html

"Talula-Does-The-Hula-From-Hawaii"

Real name.

Also

He also voiced concern over other names given to New Zealand children, such as Violence, Midnight Chardonnay and Number 16 Bus Shelter.

A set of twins was named Benson and Hedges, after the cigarette brand and some children had been named after six-cylinder Ford cars. There has even been a case of a child being named after the entire All Blacks side.

"Number 16 Bus Shelter", hahaha. :thumbsu:

Some bloke I know has a kid called Maysonn

Son's friend is Majson.

I do think you're condemning your children to spelling their name to people on a weekly basis for the rest of their lives.

"no, no that's Emily with an "a" and three "e" on the end. I know, I know.... Nobody has ever heard it spelt like that before"

Some recent ones I've heard.
Zakiyah (a girl). Caius. And yes, Jaxon.

For anyone that knows David Mitchell, or even those that don't, this sums it up rather well.

Personally, i'm pretty sure when i have kids i won't hate them enough to give them a ******* name, and thus force them to spend their whole life going "It's Saerrah. S-A-E-R-R-A-H." Also, when we name them, we'll pick names that we actually plan on using. Instead of giving it a stupid long name, and then using a nickname all the time. If the name you gave it is too long/*ed to use, why'd you give it to them.

I went for a beach/bush walk on the weekend and thought of 2 baby names; fern and wattle ;)

Terrible baby names are the bogan aussie names where 'y' is over used and black american names that end in 'eesha'
I reckon our own indigenous people have taken that on in a big way, in fact they have some of the weirdest names around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coming back from an Eagles pre-season game this year in Bunbury on the train back to perth, I see this youngish tattoed bogan mum trying to restrain her 3 kids from running/jumping all over the train - i remember the names Harley and Holden for the boys, can't remember the girl's name off the top of my head but it may well have been Rebel ! Cringeworthy :eek:

I was gonna name my kids Axel and Rose (Obviously a GnR fan). Axel too much of a dogs name, think will stick with Rose though.

My nephew is called Axel. I subtly voice my disapproval by "mistakenly" calling him other car parts. "Oh hey Steering Wheel." "Hi Oil Filter."

Any last names for first names, Cooper, Dyson, Parker, Bailey etc.

The one I can't stand is McKenzie, such a mouthful. I also don't like the whole name a person after a country/state deal - India, Montana etc. with the obvious exception of names such as Victoria which were names before they were places.