Society & Culture Terrible baby names

Remove this Banner Ad

akkaps The main non-Anglo Punjabi names which aren't covered by that graphic are Simran and Kiran ....except I think they're both decent names, so don't belong in this thread :p . Could also make a case for this going on the subtle racist/sexist thread haha.

Anyway, I came into this thread to contribute one that has copped a fair bit of criticism,but I actually like given the context- Everest for a baby boy :)
His parents' family backgrounds are from two different countries which border Mt. Everest . They couldn't decide whether to go with a Bangladeshi or Chinese name and wanted an uncommon but easily pronounceable name, so went with that :)

Anyway, I came into this thread to contribute one that has copped a fair bit of criticism,but I actually like given the context- Everest for a baby boy :)
His parents' family backgrounds are from two different countries which border Mt. Everest . They couldn't decide whether to go with a Bangladeshi or Chinese name and wanted an uncommon but easily pronounceable name, so went with that :)
Pronounced Ev-rest or Eever-est?

akkaps The main non-Anglo Punjabi names which aren't covered by that graphic are Simran and Kiran ....except I think they're both decent names, so don't belong in this thread :p . Could also make a case for this going on the subtle racist/sexist thread haha.
Those names are good classic names. Though the 90s ruined names like Simran, Raj, and Rahul.
I only realised recently that Kiran is a unisex name. And it’s a name that western culture can pick up easily.

Pronounced Ev-rest or Eever-est?
The first one :)

Those names are good classic names. Though the 90s ruined names like Simran, Raj, and Rahul.
I only realised recently that Kiran is a unisex name. And it’s a name that western culture can pick up easily.
I consider Raj/Rahul general Indian names rather then specifically Punjabi ones but yeah :) . Out of interest - did you think that Kiran was a male or a female name prior to realising that it was unisex ? I think I had only ever met one Simran (a guy) before I was 18 . I have since met several female ones.

The first one :)

I consider Raj/Rahul general Indian names rather then specifically Punjabi ones but yeah :) . Out of interest - did you think that Kiran was a male or a female name prior to realising that it was unisex ? I think I had only ever met one Simran (a guy) before I was 18 . I have since met several female ones.
I thought it was always female (Darr). Till I realise I had an uncle (brown definition of the word) with that name and then became friends with another guy with that name.

As for Simran, always female (DDLJ), I’ve seen it as a guys name once or twice. Gursimran Khamba, being one if you wish to include that.

Which brings up another thing, prefixes and suffixes and alternate spelling of names. To be continued....

I thought it was always female (Darr). Till I realise I had an uncle (brown definition of the word) with that name and then became friends with another guy with that name.

As for Simran, always female (DDLJ), I’ve seen it as a guys name once or twice. Gursimran Khamba, being one if you wish to include that.

Which brings up another thing, prefixes and suffixes and alternate spelling of names. To be continued....
I haven’t watched Darr and I watched DDLJ when I was very young so missed key bits like the main character’s name being Simran . The Simran I know is a family friend . My aunt and uncle (again, the brown definition of the word ;)) have Punjabi names which fit that diagram perfectly haha , but chose to name their sons Simran and Amrit (another name I like) 👍

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At work I had someone last week. Her full name was Crystal Clear.
Let me guess, she couldn't lie because you'd see right through her?

I haven’t watched Darr and I watched DDLJ when I was very young so missed key bits like the main character’s name being female :p . The Simran I know is a family friend . My aunt and uncle (again, the brown definition of the word ;)) have Punjabi names which fit that diagram perfectly haha , but chose to name their sons Simran and Amrit (another name I like) 👍
I haven’t seen Darr either but that “k-k-k-Kiran” line I’ve seen heaps.