Roast Terrible v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

We searched the world for the best General Manager of Football Operations. Quite freaky that he'd been right under our noses the whole time.

Sadly this is a reflection of where our priorities lie.

Or money on offer. Wouldn't mind betting that Campo is the highest paid non-senior coach in the league.

It all started at selection going too tall.

What's the point in having talls to bring the ball to ground if you don't have any smalls to crumb.

And our refusal to go man on man cost us massively. Hawks let us get sucked to the contest (this why we won the contested ball) but had spare men to sweep up once we rushed our disposal. Shades of 2012 in this game.

Some smarter selection and a simple instruction to go man on man and we win.

Do our coaches think man-on-man football is too 'old school' for modern football?

Do our coaches think man-on-man football is too 'old school' for modern football?

I am not sure but it seemed such an obvious need down at Geelong and we still refused to do it. Instead letting them cut through our zone all night. Similar to Hawthorn on Thursday night.

Maybe you are right; we might need someone in the coaching box with some 'old school' about them. Certainly don't seem to have any 'old school' style motivators in there.

There is something wrong with Cameron or we are AFCing him into a dud.

No where near the play half the time so when he does get it, he feels the need to do something extraordinary. Was terrible against the Hawks.

Another one that would be fascinating in the centre square.

Why we haven't atleast tried it is beyond me.

The most predictable side in the AFL

The third quarter highlighted it in particular
What troubled me most in that 3rd quarter was that our blokes seemed to have no idea what to do --- how to get the ball and how to use it if they did get it. Very panicked and fumbly, which suggests that they have not been given a method/instructions on how to deal with pressure, other than to execute "our way" more "like us".
Wtf?
I wonder if anyone had actually sat Eddie down and told him to stop the lairising crap
Jeez I hope so. Looks like when he's getting beaten, his best efforts go towards MOTY.

he's certainly not watching the pill at the moment
W-e-l-l he does kinda watch it ...
watch it fly back over his head when he jumps extravagantly, too soon, and gives the free away *mutter mutter grumble* :mad:

What troubled me most in that 3rd quarter was that our blokes seemed to have no idea what to do --- how to get the ball and how to use it if they did get it. Very panicked and fumbly, which suggests that they have not been given a method/instructions on how to deal with pressure, other than to execute "our way" more "like us".
Wtf?

Jeez I hope so. Looks like when he's getting beaten, his best efforts go towards MOTY.

W-e-l-l he does kinda watch it ...
watch it fly back over his head when he jumps extravagantly, too soon, and gives the free away *mutter mutter grumble* :mad:

Does Eddie have any choice but to go for MOTY?

He should be crumbing but he's the only player willing to go for a contested mark.. it's ridiculous.

Shouldn't it be up to you to prove the claim you made?

No one gets gifted four finals wins, including wins in WA, NSW and Melbourne.

They won because they hit form at the right time of the year, they showed resilience, players stood up and they played a great brand of football. They didnt win because of some AFL conspiracy.

Oh and I wish I saw the unedited post, was it hurtful?
Anyone can say bullshit !

Check frees for and against over the finals of last year, watch the grandfinal, check the frees for and against. People will have you say that the free kick discrepancy is because the wb were faster, more tackles, harder etc, then how come they ended up 7th after the home and away. If you dont the 3 victorian umpires can not be influenced by a national afl media who a 87 % based in Victoria then you are deluding yourselves

Yes, and add tagging in with that too.
When the opposition starts getting momentum, hitting the scoreboard and what we are doing structure wise isn't working why wouldn't we try 5 minutes of man on man just to take them out of their comfort zone? It's time for Don to respond on game day.

Anyone can say bullshit !

Check frees for and against over the finals of last year, watch the grandfinal, check the frees for and against. People will have you say that the free kick discrepancy is because the wb were faster, more tackles, harder etc, then how come they ended up 7th after the home and away. If you dont the 3 victorian umpires can not be influenced by a national afl media who a 87 % based in Victoria then you are deluding yourselves
Did man land on the moon?

Who shot JFK?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It all started at selection going too tall.

What's the point in having talls to bring the ball to ground if you don't have any smalls to crumb.

And our refusal to go man on man cost us massively. Hawks let us get sucked to the contest (this why we won the contested ball) but had spare men to sweep up once we rushed our disposal. Shades of 2012 in this game.

Some smarter selection and a simple instruction to go man on man and we win.
What I don't get is at the G, Don changed it up after qtr time to curtail the Hawks gameplan and this time he did nothing.

What I don't get is at the G, Don changed it up after qtr time to curtail the Hawks gameplan and this time he did nothing.
The first side weeks a big part of his coaching was changing things around.

Early in the first hawks game we were exposed by their wall. So our forwards were repositioned to closer to that wall to stop them getting the free ball out.

That didn't happen this time.

I wonder if Otten and Tex are too slow a forward duo to be able to counter this move. I can't remember if Otto was playing forward or back, he did kick a goal.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Early in the first hawks game we were exposed by their wall. So our forwards were repositioned to closer to that wall to stop them getting the free ball out.

I wonder if Otten and Tex are too slow a forward duo to be able to counter this move. I can't remember if Otto was playing forward or back, he did kick a goal.

Otten was up forward

Anyone seen Sloane's stats in our losses compared to our wins? Pretty damning.

Why does this happen to us? Why is the entire competition now talking about how effective a hard tag is on Sloane?

Why aren't they talking about how well tags work on Selwood, or Dangerfield or Wines...?

Why always us? Why are we always the ones these prick tactics work on?

Ask yourself.

Because we allow the action, and perform accordingly to give legs to the notion.

It was a forced change last time against the Hawks because Jenkins was injured early on - prior to that we were way too tall and too slow in our backline with all of Otten, Hartigan & Talia, we just could not get the ball out quickly and generate any kind of rebound... ironically I think we went into the game with the extra tall in defence to counter for Vickery, for the first quarter it was a decision that was hurting us more than them.

Then the injury to Jenkins - Otten was moved forward and spent time in ruck relief for Sauce. The backline adjusted and all of a sudden we had quick attacks starting from defence. The forward line was either the same height with Otten in (Gov as the additional tall is so much quicker than the others), and when Otten was in the ruck there was more movement and more space for Tex to work in (as an aside, Tex's first game back too was awesome, amazing clean hands picking up half volley passes). That injury and being a tall down for most of the game forced the change to the team structure, and ultimately changed the game - when I think of last Thursday's stubborn refusal to change our structure and account for their loose men in defence, I just shake my head in frustration.

We have been going in too tall since Jenkins has come back from injury because we stubbornly won't drop the good news comeback story of the year in Otten - it has been hurting the team since. At some stage thay have to make the decision between Jenkins and Otten, it just has to be done.

Last edited:
The evidence is you've never played footy at any level beyond primary school, im sure your supercoach numbers are impressive

Im pretty sure he played College footy, I can confirm that, not sure he would have been that good and definetly not a hard nut, never would have been reported as many times as myself

Im pretty sure he played College footy, I can confirm that, not sure he would have been that good and definetly not a hard nut, never would have been reported as many times as myself
Were you reported for going on and on and on and on to the umpire about the same stupid subject until he/she couldn't stand it any more?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back