Fixture Test cricket 2030 - who will be playing it?

Remove this Banner Ad

But yes, if we want to stop the prop: Women wouldn't get money from the men's game, and men wouldn't have all the premium slots on the calendar (such as the Boxing Day Test) every year.
Just on this part - why couldn't women and men play on the same day? Men could be in Melbourne while the women are in Adelaide as an example.

The way things are going, Australia and England being the totality is a very real possibility.

I agree, though I’d imagine India are safe as a test nation for their sheer size and passion for the game, even if T20 has a large domination.

Cricket administration is so backwards when you compare it to other codes, basically no willingness in general to grow the game by most administrators, want to contract the game further and further. It’s an incredibly short term mindset, as if cricket just became T20 franchise leagues, who would actually be passionate about it?

You get the feeling the powers that be just want T20 franchise cricket, 50 over world cup, t20 world cup, aus/eng/India tests, and the associates can please themselves.

I’m in favour of reducing bilateral ODI/T20 series down to basically nothing as no one gives a crap about them, but no World Cup qualifying league thingy as it’s pointless. Should be top 8 from previous World Cup automatically in, then some pre qualifying tournament for another couple of spots for the rest.

Sides can just organise ODI’s and international t20s if they feel like it.

The big problem I see with endless franchise T20 leagues is the big names are big names because what they do at an international level, take that away and does anyone actually care about the individual franchise leagues/teams? I assume it’s different in India with the IPL that there is more attachment people have to teams?

Test cricket also needs to get with the times more so, be open to 4 day tests for smaller nations, as if that helps organise more matches as opposed to zero, that’s a win. Seems odd we don’t play Ireland pre ashes, would be a perfect warm up for us, plus give Irish test match experience.

Also do the pink ball switch if light is bad in tests, anyone who isn’t familiar with cricket seeing players go off for bad light when there are lights would wonder wtf is going on and find it laughable.

Test cricket is treated like some sort of constitution where nothing can change ever, almost like the Amish run it. Day night or twilight tests should also become the norm, Melbourne test could easily start 12:30-1pm and go till 8pm and still finish in daylight and be more convenient for everyone.

It makes sense as it would slow the loss of promising 20 year olds to the T20 circuit in the poorer nations.
I can not see this working as long as T20 franchises offer obscene salaries for no more than two weeks of cricket. If we curb the salary packets of our pure cricketers (Test) we also need to do the same with white ball, specially T20.

One thing test cricket needs and won't get for the foreseeable I fear is the resumption of India-Pakistan tests.
Yep, and the ICC need to enforce it by expanding the WTC so that everyone plays everyone in the 2 year period.

India and Pakistan can play at neutral venue if need be, reckon they would pack out Sydney and Melbourne if they played them in the early summer here.

Yep, and the ICC need to enforce it by expanding the WTC so that everyone plays everyone in the 2 year period.

India and Pakistan can play at neutral venue if need be, reckon they would pack out Sydney and Melbourne if they played them in the early summer here.

Pretty sure the ECB would offer to host them as well especially at Old Trafford and Edgbaston.

so just nominate a country for every cycle and hold the final there, or ensure it is a neutral venue?
I think neutral. So if it's England vs India next time it goes to the MCG or something.

so maybe there's a "pool" of nominated venues and the team who finishes top gets to choose? maybe not practical due to having to curate a pitch though.
Nah. Actually changed my mind, each country gets a turn every cycle. Randomise after everyone had one again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Other thing about the WTC is that the final needs to be rotated between countries every cycle. Shouldn't be England every time.
The English are the most likely to attend a neutral match.
If the final is (hypothetically) South Africa vs Sri Lanka, how many would go if it was in Australia/India/NZ etc compared to England? Imo, many less.

As long as England aren't in the final I'm more than happy with it being held there. Doubt us, NZ or SAF will ever host due to our summers being in the middle of cycles. Cycle always starts/ends during the English summer. England has the most neutral conditions and will get healthiest crowds regardless of opponent

The English are the most likely to attend a neutral match.
If the final is (hypothetically) South Africa vs Sri Lanka, how many would go if it was in Australia/India/NZ etc compared to England? Imo, many less.
Nah, not for a final. Aussies rock up for finals. Always have.

Nah, not for a final. Aussies rock up for finals. Always have.
That's true.
Aussies have barely been showing up for Tests between Australia and team like Sri Lanka/West Indies for a while though so I'm sceptical. Day/night Adelaide Test probably guarantees the best crowd and atmosphere.

That's true.
Aussies have barely been showing up for Tests between Australia and team like Sri Lanka/West Indies for a while though so I'm sceptical. Day/night Adelaide Test probably guarantees the best crowd and atmosphere.
Day/Night at the MCG. They'll never make boxing day D/N so this would be the best chance to do it.

The ICC has as much power as its members give it and they simply dont have the power to force india to play pakistan in tests, for one thing its not even up to BCCI its indian government which decides this stuff the indian gov would laugh their arses off if the ICC tried to strong arm them into playing pakistan.

All this garbage that comes out about india vs pakistan at neutral venues is stuff put forth by outsiders, the indian government have made it very clear they wont be renewing ties its not a matter of working out neutral venues or security issue or how many tickets might be sold its politics and far bigger than cricket.

I think neutral. So if it's England vs India next time it goes to the MCG or something.

next time ? the next WTC final is in 'june' 2025.

not a chance england v india in june and at the MCG (only way you could do that would be later that year in the aussie summer, while the next cycle is being played).

the whole thing is a logistical nightmare.

the WTC final should either be held in england eg. like the AFL GF is always at the MCG or....
announce the venue before the cycle/season starts like the NFL and time it accordingly for the season to finish so it aligns with that country's summer and can be played.

The ICC has as much power as its members give it and they simply dont have the power to force india to play pakistan in tests, for one thing its not even up to BCCI its indian government which decides this stuff the indian gov would laugh their arses off if the ICC tried to strong arm them into playing pakistan.

All this garbage that comes out about india vs pakistan at neutral venues is stuff put forth by outsiders, the indian government have made it very clear they wont be renewing ties its not a matter of working out neutral venues or security issue or how many tickets might be sold its politics and far bigger than cricket.
Yes clearly the ICC in its current form is not capable of executing this but it's still what they need to do if the WTC is to mature into a legitimate competition. As you say, the full members are the ones that actually have the power and that power is heavily skewed towards the BCCI and their money but ultimately if majority of members voted not for their financial interests but the game's better interests then the ICC could set up stronger competition frameworks.

I think it's a bit strong to call the suggestion of neutral venues 'garbage' when for the last 20 years playing matches in the UAE and England has been a solution to the political situation in Pakistan. It at least provides a workable option if the ICC wants to get serious-- if the BCCI/India then want to boycott international cricket that's their choice.

Unrealistic, sure, but we can still discuss hypotheticals. It's all going to come to a head soon with the ODI world cup anyway.

I can see test and first class cricket going the way of real tennis, which is the forerunner of modern tennis.

Played again by amateurs at a low level with little support and sponsorship.

T20 is a throwback to the early days of cricket: played in one day and with gambling integrated into it.

It will dominate because that’s all India cares about.

next time ? the next WTC final is in 'june' 2025.

not a chance england v india in june and at the MCG (only way you could do that would be later that year in the aussie summer, while the next cycle is being played).

the whole thing is a logistical nightmare.

the WTC final should either be held in england eg. like the AFL GF is always at the MCG or....
announce the venue before the cycle/season starts like the NFL and time it accordingly for the season to finish so it aligns with that country's summer and can be played.
Move the date so every country has it. In a world game it's kinda stupid that the final is in the same country every year.

Play the WTC final at the country that finished at the top of the ratings, they have earnt an advantage IMO.

A problem could be ground availability and hence scheduling though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back