Test Cricket Draft - Ordinary Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Sneaky selection here - Peter Kirsten - Bat Ave 31.30

Gary's half brother who was 37 when South Africa returned to international cricket. Wouldn't qualify as average if he was able to play test cricket at his peak

2 P Kirsten (SAf)
6 N Johnson (Zim)
7 K Akmal (Pak)
8 E Baptiste (WI)
9 S Venkat (Ind)
10 M Mortaza (Bang)
11 D Malcolm (Eng)

akkaps

Fine, whatever, you can have him even though no-one else has a problem fitting in the rules. I remembered Butcher from his county days as a good bowler who didn't do it that often because of the effect it had on his body, which is pretty clear on his FC record, but he's all yours.
No I will remove him for Mark Ramprekash instead, just voicing that this is the 2nd opener I've tried that I believe satisfies the first set of rules about fluking is all.

I think for batsmen it should be like keepers and come down to perception not an arbitrary wickets tally as there are always bunnies you can fluke it against.
As a point to this, if bat average wasn't a factor I wouldn't be able to select Miandad or Kevin Pietersen.

This is where I am struggling here, perception for keepers but top order bats literally need to be like JL and have never touched the pill.

No I will remove him for Mark Ramprekash instead, just voicing that this is the 2nd opener I've tried that I believe satisfies the first set of rules about fluking is all.

I think for batsmen it should be like keepers and come down to perception not an arbitrary wickets tally as there are always bunnies you can fluke it against.
As a point to this, if bat average wasn't a factor I wouldn't be able to select Miandad or Kevin Pietersen.

This is where I am struggling here, perception for keepers but top order bats literally need to be like JL and have never touched the pill.

No, seriously, keep Butcher. You probably lost out unfairly on Williams anyway.

This is like watching two divorcing parents squabble over who gets to take the dog neither of them really wanted.
i just mummy and daddy to stop fighting

My next pick is going to really strengthen my batting and give me a lot of bowling versatility, as I am picking Garfield Sobers.

Okay, not the actual Sobers, but rather the person who was nicknamed - no joke - the 'poor man's Sobers'. He modelled himself on the legendary all-rounder, and was himself a swashbuckling left handed batsman who could bowl useful seam, swing and spin, as well as being an excellent fielder. He slots in at number four, with a Test career that perhaps didn't quite reflect his skill. He also finished his career in Shield cricket and settled in Australia. Please welcome Rusi Surti.

I've always been a sucker for a subcontinental fast bowler. Like my next pick, who came to Australia with an excellent ODI record. I distinctly remember thinking "wait til they get on some friendly tracks over here and might see some fireworks." And we did see his best ever test figures, 6/41. But he never took more than three in any other test innings, disappointing us all time and time again.

He had a brilliant ODI record but over 26 tests, 58 wickets at 47.32 is nothing short of mediocre.

Ajit Agarkar

And on the same theme, he might be the first bowler to take a hat-trick in all three formats, but he also is the only bowler with more than 50 wickets at an average of more than 50 - from Pakistan, Mohammed Sami.

Over to you, The Speaker

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always like a bit of variety in my team, so my next pick is another all-rounder who began his career on a flat note and never really reached any great heights from there. He was the first Test player out of Anguilla, which is certainly something. He gives me some decent batsmanship at seven, along with mostly flighty off-spin, although he was also able to bowl pace if needed. He's not even the first musician to be called up today, but he is the only one called Omari, give it up for Omari Banks!

1. TJ Franklin (New Zealand)
2. GJ Bonnor (Australia)
4. RF Surti (India)
5. M Ashraful (c) (Bangladesh)
7. OAC Banks (West Indies)
8. AF Giles (England)
9. AE Dick (wk) (New Zealand)
11. HK Olonga (Zimbabwe)

cricketnut14

I've always been a sucker for a subcontinental fast bowler. Like my next pick, who came to Australia with an excellent ODI record. I distinctly remember thinking "wait til they get on some friendly tracks over here and might see some fireworks." And we did see his best ever test figures, 6/41. But he never took more than three in any other test innings, disappointing us all time and time again.

He had a brilliant ODI record but over 26 tests, 58 wickets at 47.32 is nothing short of mediocre.

Ajit Agarkar
Obligatory for me to post this video

Poor thread. Bunch of blokes who would be scared of a bowler bowling 100km at them in the local matting comp potting blokes who had solid test match careers. Classic bigfooty.

Potshots, you say?

Hard to know who is a bigger knob out of Langer or Khawaja. Khawaja seems to think he is Australia's version of Russell Westbrook but going with Langer the way he just crapped on throughout the whole thing. Didn't deliver one piece of original cricket insight throughout the whole series yet had this irritating, relentless intensity whilst doing so.
Classic BF, indeed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back