Test Cricket Draft - Ordinary Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Some people would say that I need to fill in the gaps in my XI, both in terms of position and countries, but I'm not most people. And while you could say that this man, if he's to by my twelfth man, should be picked twelfth, it is very much appropriate to his career that he is the 12th man, but also that he isn't picked last - instead, he's just inexplicably dropped, thereby denting the form he was just getting into. He will be my team's best batsman, a man who could've been something special in Tests but is instead remembered for the ridiculous treatment he received and his own penchant for over-thinking.

He is Graeme Hick.

big_e

Nixon McLean

I'd hate to be accused of potting blokes, so instead here's a quote of Cricinfo potting him:

"Tall and muscular, capable of delivering the ball at over 85 mph, Nixon McLean never made a great Test match bowler, possessing neither the pace, movement or consistency to bowl out teams on good tracks - perhaps the telling statistic is that he never took more than three wickets in an international innings."

This one actually feels bad because I saw him bat outstandingly when coming in at 4/32 on the first morning at the WACA a few years ago. But an average of 30.75 after 40 tests means you're on the big_e's radar.

Temba Bavuma

The Speaker - back to you.

Next up is a man whose Test batting can best be described as versatile. I'm not sure anyone really understands why his average is so low after 35 Tests, but this is where we are. Moving around the batting order so much probably has something to do with it. He also offers me an opening option is one of my current openers fails and/or I decide to give Hick a run for a Test before inexplicably dropping him again. With an average of 22.64, in comes Lahiru Thirimanne.

cricketnut14

1. TJ Franklin (New Zealand)
2. GJ Bonnor (Australia)
3. HDRL Thirimanne (Sri Lanka)
4. RF Surti (India)
5. M Ashraful (c) (Bangladesh)
7. OAC Banks (West Indies)
8. AF Giles (England)
9. AE Dick (wk) (New Zealand)
11. HK Olonga (Zimbabwe)

12. GA Hick (England)

Some people would say that I need to fill in the gaps in my XI, both in terms of position and countries, but I'm not most people. And while you could say that this man, if he's to by my twelfth man, should be picked twelfth, it is very much appropriate to his career that he is the 12th man, but also that he isn't picked last - instead, he's just inexplicably dropped, thereby denting the form he was just getting into. He will be my team's best batsman, a man who could've been something special in Tests but is instead remembered for the ridiculous treatment he received and his own penchant for over-thinking.

He is Graeme Hick.

big_e

Please attribute to Zimbabwe thanks.

My next selection is a fella who averaged more with the bat than Mitch Marsh and less with the ball than him.

Need a prankster in the team, that loves a good time and someone, who everyone would love to room with on tour.

Would you guys please welcome Kerry O'Keefe (Australia) into my team.

Yes I'm about for the rest of the night and hopefully, can complete my team.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll be a bit self indulgent and pick a mate, Dean Brownlie - Ave 29.62

1 WG Grace (Eng, Capt)
2 P Kirsten (SAf)
3 D Brownlie (NZ)
4 D Hookes (Aust)
6 N Johnson (Zim)
7 K Akmal (Pak)
8 E Baptiste (WI)
9 S Venkat (Ind)
10 M Mortaza (Bang)
11 D Malcolm (Eng)

11kgm
s Bakht Pakistan

This tall and gangling fast medium bower had a tendency to invoke a very lively pace from most pitches which made his natural outswinger a nightmare for most batsman. Competing against great bowlers of the time he was usually underestimated. He made headlines by breaking the arm of English captain Mike Brearley during a one day match in Karachi. His finest hour came against India in Delhi in 1979/80 when he demolished them on a placid wicket by taking 8/69 with devastating penetration

Art Vandelay_

To really round out my side, my Australian player will be someone who’s currently penciled in to open, but can bat anywhere in the order, and is a steal this late. A man capable of a near perfect knock, closely followed by a string of poor performances. A man who took far too many years before seemingly getting his act together, including a big night out for his brother’s 21st in South Africa. I of course speak of Shaun Edward Marsh - Australia, with his batting average of 34 from 38 tests

1. Raja
2. Shaun Marsh
3. Bashar
5. Bairstow (+)
6. Singh
7. Symcock
8. Sammy
9. Bracewell
10. Lakmal
11. Price

Art Vandelay_

Shaun was a shittruck and belongs in the thread like this.

Time for a Bangladeshi to round out all test nations.

Shahadat Hossain. Medium pacer.

Bat ave: 10
Bowl ave: 51.8

Wildcard no.1 and my 3rd wicketkeeper

Peter Nevill - Australia
A dark period of Australian cricket that this crab got selected, and actually had fan bois. NSW should have punted him aside for someone who may amount to something meaningful

Bat ave: 22

1. Mark Butcher - England
2. Imran Farhat - Pakistan
3. Russel Arnold - Sri Lanka
4. Pataudi - India (C)
6. Taibu- Zimbabwe
7. Wade - Australia (WK)
8. J.Bracewell - New Zealand
9. S. Hossain - Bangladesh
10. Edwards - West Indies
11. Harris - South Africa
12. P. Nevill - Australia

Van_Dyke

To really round out my side, my Australian player will be someone who’s currently penciled in to open, but can bat anywhere in the order, and is a steal this late. A man capable of a near perfect knock, closely followed by a string of poor performances. A man who took far too many years before seemingly getting his act together, including a big night out for his brother’s 21st in South Africa. I of course speak of Shaun Edward Marsh - Australia, with his batting average of 34 from 38 tests

1. Raja
2. Shaun Marsh
3. Bashar
5. Bairstow (+)
6. Singh
7. Symcock
8. Sammy
9. Bracewell
10. Lakmal
11. Price

Art Vandelay_
Shaun Marsh lasted to pick 78?

to round out my side, I need another bat, and thankfully this guy (who just missed out to SOS) is still here. One tall left handed Australian opener has already been taken in Renshaw, and I’ll take a man who’s similar to him in Matthew Elliott. Injuries derailed him somewhat in test cricket, but his top score of 199 and an average of 33 will slot in well
1. Raja
2. Elliott
3. Bashar
4. Shaun Marsh
5. Bairstow (+)
6. Singh
7. Symcock
8. Sammy
9. Bracewell
10. Lakmal
11. Price
11kgm
Shaun Marsh lasted to pick 78?
absolute steal, would have been taken some time ago by me, if not for the value in leaving him until later

My second wildcard and second spinner is a man who had a doosra before anyone knew what a doosra was - Johnny Gleeson - Ave 36.20

1 WG Grace (Eng, Capt)
2 P Kirsten (SAf)
3 D Brownlie (NZ)
4 D Hookes (Aust)
6 N Johnson (Zim)
7 K Akmal (Pak)
8 E Baptiste (WI)
9 J Gleeson (Aust)
10 M Mortaza (Bang)
11 D Malcolm (Eng)
12 S Venkat (Ind)

akkaps