Test cricket is dying, let's help save it

Remove this Banner Ad

So Australia in that series was the best performing away side that has toured India in the past few years, and yet you’re still dismissing it?

Kohli, Pujara and Rahane all playing the first three games of the series isn’t good enough for you?

Before that series, in the same season, they beat New Zealand 3-0 (3) and England 4-0 (5).

They won one match- they were smashed in the deciding match wasn’t even close. That wasn’t the same Indian side on form as this years one for instance. It was our best chance to win and instead as usual we’re poor in sub continent conditions. We played well for 1 test. That’s it.

Bwillow11

All Australian
Sep 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
They won one match- they were smashed in the deciding match wasn’t even close. That wasn’t the same Indian side on form as this years one for instance. It was our best chance to win and instead as usual we’re poor in sub continent conditions. We played well for 1 test. That’s it.
While every other team has failed to win a single match there at all.

Looks like you didn’t read any of my post.

Barlos Crathwaite

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
What nonsense, Bangladesh beat us in a Test, Sri Lanka white-washed us last time and we do worse in the UAE then pretty much all other teams including NZ who people are now talking about as rubbish.

Outside the UAE our only accomplishment in the SC in recent times was the Pune win and we only looked good that series because of Steve Smith and some of the bowlers. Take out Smith and we're one of the weakest teams in the SC, the same could be said for England.

The weaker teams play in Australia once in a blue moon, no preparation time is available (I've seen you blame this on touring teams, despite the schedules being out of their control with all these championships going on in different formats) which means by the time they tour again they have a new roster of players and so it goes around in circles.

Your disregard of teams like the Windies suggests you watch Australia at home and no other Cricket. They've got a world class bowling attack and their batsmen are starting to put it together.
They just lost to Ireland.

Barlos Crathwaite

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Good Indian sides wouldn’t gift 13 wickets to OKeefe as decent as he bowled.
Please welcome to the stage LukeParkerno1 ladies and gentlemen 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

The funniest poster in Big Footy history

He'll be here all week (and every other week after that)

Nah jokes mate. But seriously that was epic bowling from SOK. Too bad it was so hot over there he decided to cool down once he got home and drink every beer in sight and become Sam Newman

Barlos Crathwaite

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
You mean like we waive the white flag in the sun continent...It’s as if the only test cricket you watch is our summer...open your eyes it’s not as if we are some great side that wins away from home. Pakistan have a young side they will improve. Their bowling attack will learn more from bowling to Warner, etc than they would bowling to Ireland or someone like that.
We don't wave the white flag in the subcontinent. We don't always win but we give it everything and regularly test sides

We don't wave the white flag in the subcontinent. We don't always win but we give it everything and regularly test sides

Each to their own. The matches in the UAE were abysmal. Not as if it’s been a that good Pakistan side mind you playing scrubs like Holland haven’t helped

Barlos Crathwaite

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Digression but it actually really annoyed me SOK sooked it up after getting injured and returning home early that series. He had them coming out beautifully and completely out bowled Lyon. Granted his test chances going forward would have been limited but what a waste of a bloke in his prime

Digression but it actually really annoyed me SOK sooked it up after getting injured and returning home early that series. He had them coming out beautifully and completely out bowled Lyon. Granted his test chances going forward would have been limited but what a waste of a bloke in his prime

He’s still our best domestic spinner after Lyon it’s just that he’s a brain dead bloke who can’t stop making a dill of himself after a few beers

Barlos Crathwaite

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Each to their own. The matches in the UAE were abysmal. Not as if it’s been a that good Pakistan side mind you playing scrubs like Holland haven’t helped
The fact you prefaced your comments with a humble statement earns you respect in my eyes. You're absolutely right. We all have the right to our opinion here despite it being different from others and yes koala aside we were terrible there.

Having said that imo we regularly compete everywhere and force teams to dig deep. All I ask for is reciprocation from other teams

Barlos Crathwaite

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
He’s still our best domestic spinner after Lyon it’s just that he’s a brain dead bloke who can’t stop making a dill of himself after a few beers
I had a mate like that. Nicest guy sober but horrible drunk. If he wants to drink himself falling over drunk he might want to gain a few kilos as he's fairly thin. The grog seems to go straight to his head

I had a mate like that. Nicest guy sober but horrible drunk. If he wants to drink himself falling over drunk he might want to gain a few kilos as he's fairly thin. The grog seems to go straight to his head

Have to say having been at a pub when SOK was out he’s an absolute cracker though lol

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I think Australia actually played well above themselves last time they went to India and gave a good account, but worth remembering that Kohli had an absolutely diabolical series and that’s pretty unlikely to ever be repeated again, and their attack wasn’t as good as it is now.

Man for man Australia I think has a better side than Pakistan and Sri Lanka if they were to meet in conditions that directly favoured no one, yet they still lose over there. That to me is the essence of why everyone should be playing everyone. Because in certain circumstances some sides lift, some sides drop, some players excel and some get found out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Or India....when have we last done anything over there?
I mean our last series there was probably as close as anyone's been to beating them in a few years and was a pretty great spectacle which we quite easily could've win if some things had gone slightly differently in the second test but uh yeah

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Something else thats worth considering under a regular test tournament cycle as it gets refined more and more, is the idea that Pakistan may start playing India again if the ICC start making it mandatory for everyone to play everyone.

That would be a great spectacle

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Something else thats worth considering under a regular test tournament cycle as it gets refined more and more, is the idea that Pakistan may start playing India again if the ICC start making it mandatory for everyone to play everyone.

Pakistan being able to actually host games in Pakistan and gain revenue from that is going to be big for them. If they can get some of their young quicks to deliver on their potential and not break down with injuries or fall to match fixing they will become a decent side

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Also I feel like my idea got passed over. The groups of 6 would play in one country for summer then one for winter and would then have the score of the 10 games altogether. So if the season falls in NZ for summer and then India for Winter is very possible that Australia gets relegated that season. If it falls in Australia for Summer and then England for Winter it's very possible that India gets relegated that season.
Who is watching South Africa vs New Zealand in India?

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
We also nearly won the second test and got a draw in the third batting out about 100 overs from memory. So yeah I'd say we were part competitive. Losing 1 test by a lot doesn't really undermine the competitiveness over a 4 match series

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne

This is one of the reasons why the ICC won't be allowed to enforce such things. It would be ideal if all twelve did play everyone in the next WTC cycle, but it won't be happening. (And frankly 11 opponents home and away in four years is a big ask.)
The WTC and resulting FTP, much like the AFL fixture, will remain compromised and, again like the AFL, greatly favouring the commercial interests of a few already wealthy sides. Hopefully it will be better next time, but with the BCCI (and a lesser extent CA and ECB) able to hold everyone to ransom I very much doubt it.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
An yet almost no one in the world gives a fu** about test cricket anymore but let's just do nothing and watch it die.
Or we could play games overseas and just dig the grave

Who would watch NZ v South Africa in India? Nobody s**t timezones just wouldn’t work

We need to break the hold that the big three nations have in the game have a more equitable way of the ICC dividing revenue. No reason Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh can’t be consistently strong nations except for the lack of money and development pathways.

Countries like Australia India and England need to realise that we need to start putting the game first.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back