Test Series V The West Indies

Remove this Banner Ad

Just wondering what the go is with the DRS? More specifically with Clarke's ball to Chanderpaul.

It was my understanding that if the umpire calls not out and it gets referred, all three criteria must be fulfilled for it to be overturned? That is; pitches in line, hits in line and then more than half of the ball going on to hit the stumps.

I swear it used to be this, has it changed? Because Clarkes ball pitched a long way off the stumps...

To put simply, read the laws of cricket again. But I will attempt to explain it...the only time "pitched in line" comes into play is if it pitches OUTSIDE LEG STUMP. You can pitch the ball 2 feet outside off stump and if the ball hits you in line with the sumps and is hitting the stumps you are out.

It is fairly easy on DRS as the 3 "red" buttons light up. I am happy to explain it more but basically that is the rule. It does not have to "pitch" in line, it has to "hit" in line, that is assuming of course it does not pitch outside leg.

Hope this helps.

Ok, I guess my understanding of the DRS was incorrect. I thought all three had to be fulfilled for something to be overturned. I thought this is how the scenario could arise where a fielding captain could review and get it denied. Yet if the umpire were to give it out and the batsmen review, it would still remain out...

I must just be recalling something pitching outside leg and it being denied. Oh well, carry on. 5 more wickets. Let's wrap it up by lunch.

Ok, I guess my understanding of the DRS was incorrect. I thought all three had to be fulfilled for something to be overturned. I thought this is how the scenario could arise where a fielding captain could review and get it denied. Yet if the umpire were to give it out and the batsmen review, it would still remain out...

I must just be recalling something pitching outside leg and it being denied. Oh well, carry on. 5 more wickets. Let's wrap it up by lunch.

It's got nothing to do with the DRS. As bombers explained, the laws of cricket only require the ball to pitch in line with the leg stump.

That looks out tbh on the replay.

It's got nothing to do with the DRS. As bombers explained, the laws of cricket only require the ball to pitch in line with the leg stump.

That looks out tbh on the replay.

Yep, very happy to admit when I'm wrong :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why was that umpire's decision rather than not out? Hit outside the line so it's not out. Going by the DRS if the on-field umpire gave it out, that would have stood.

Sammy shits me. Average bowler, and a sub-par batsman who throws his bat at everything hoping it'll come off, no matter what the situation.

Absolute belter of a catch by Pup!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back