Play Nice Post sanction: Taylor Walker publically apologises for his racial slur

Remove this Banner Ad

Look, it is a good apology, and it seems to have been taken as genuine given that Young was willing to appear in the apology video.

But I really hope that people take notice of what a lot of other Aboriginal people are saying about this - that it's not an isolated one-off issue, it's something they see, hear, and feel on a regular basis.

Good on the players that reported it to the club. Reckon plenty would have remained silent given their status being the reserves side relative to Tex's.

AFC's whizzbang PR Dept have slipped up a gear and released a hard hitting fluff piece to Tom Morris to distract the Crow hordes. I guess considering the Crow hordes current respect for AFC PR, this fluff piece will work on approximately 1% of intended Crow hordes.

Nobody keen to know:

1. What was said;
2. The result of the investigation;
3. Tex's response,

before passing judgement?

Cool cool cool
Walker dobbed in by his own teammates for racial vilification. This stuff doesn’t get out if you call someone a dickhead. It’s 2021, not 1921.

I DON’T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT WHAT WAS SAID NOR DO I KNOW THE FACTS BUT IM BLOODY OUTRAGED, BLOODY. OUTRAGED.

He could have simply said Young was a sh*t player, but because he’s not white you’re not allowed to say anything negative. Calm ya farms you bunch of grandstanding tossers, wait for the facts to come out before you blast someone.
Ah yeah, no. Don’t think if you call someone a s**t player who is black then you get accused of racism. His own teammates dobbed him in. There’s a lot of average to s**t footballers who are black. There’s a pretty big difference between calling someone a s**t player and racially vilifying them.

I know there's a decent Indigenous population in Broken Hill compared to the rest of the state but in my experience that can go one of two ways when it comes to racism. You either become very tolerant because you've grown up around different people, or racism becomes normalised because you've grown up around different people.

No, it's not neccesssrily normalised racism. It can be use of terms that are normalised among your childhood friendships that aren't racist at all, but out of context by the uniniciated might be. I used the example of the term, "blackfella" that shocked me from whites when I first got to know born and bread Alice springsians. I thought this racist language until I spent time with actual blackfellas that called me a whitefella and their community blackfellas. But that language if from a white is total racism despite context. Sadly, most of the outraged haven't ever spent meaningful time as friends or work colleagues of our Aboriginal cousins. But thise that haven't, sure do get triggered at the drop of a hat.

I know there's a decent Indigenous population in Broken Hill compared to the rest of the state but in my experience that can go one of two ways when it comes to racism. You either become very tolerant because you've grown up around different people, or racism becomes normalised because you've grown up around different people.

For context there was a certain part of south Broken Hill known as Vegemite Valley.

Generational racism exists everywhere.

Sad to hear Tex couldn’t be more eloquent with his observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know what he said?

There's a gap between saying something racist and actually being a racist. That doesn't make saying it ok but there are levels to this. He could've said something minor that still crosses the line or he could've said something properly vile.

I'll be interested to see the penalty, obviously something has been said - it doesn't get to this point unless he did - and if it is minor you'd expect the penalty to be soft, however if it's something bad they could well terminate his contract.

Not sure we'll ever know for sure what was said but I think we'll be able to gauge how bad it was based on the penalty.

AFL needs to stamp out racism

If the comment was racist this could be the end of Tex

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not anti vax, I've taken all the vaccinations I've needed to throughout my life.

This COVID vaccine (well it's not really a vaccine it doesn't immunise) is a leaky vaccine that will cause many more problems than it solves. Stage 3 trials lasted about 8 weeks, it's still in the phase 4 stage while they are angling to get it into the arms of children. It's quite disgraceful.
Yep...thank you for proving you are a complete nutjob

I DON’T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT WHAT WAS SAID NOR DO I KNOW THE FACTS BUT IM BLOODY OUTRAGED, BLOODY. OUTRAGED.

He could have simply said Young was a sh*t player, but because he’s not white you’re not allowed to say anything negative. Calm ya farms you bunch of grandstanding tossers, wait for the facts to come out before you blast someone.
Yes I'm sure his own mates would out him for saying that ..seriously are you really this thick ?

There's a gap between saying something racist and actually being a racist. That doesn't make saying it ok but there are levels to this.

How many times do you steal something before you are thief? How many tunes to you lie before you are a liar? How many times do you hit your partner before you are a wife basher?

If it looks like a racist, acts like a racist, and talks like a racist - then it’s a racist.

Not sure if anything racist was said here - but if it was, than that makes that person a racist.

How many times do you steal something before you are thief? How many tunes to you lie before you are a liar? How many times do you hit your partner before you are a wife basher?

If it looks like a racist, acts like a racist, and talks like a racist - then it’s a racist.

Not sure if anything racist was said here - but if it was, than that makes that person a racist.
Not sure I agree, like I said I believe there's levels to it but I won't say you're wrong.

Branding someone a racist to me requires more than an insensitive comment, for example in isolation McGuires King Kong comment would be daft, idiotic comment but wouldn't necessarily make him a racist. Obviously he has a history so it's a different story, but if that were the first incident you could mark it down as dumb and insensitive without him being thought of as a racist.

Now if he's used something like the N word all bets are off. I just hope for his sake it's at the lower end of the spectrum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back