News TEX - captain no more

How many weeks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Well just make sure you have adequate experience and qualifications before you express your opinions in future. :p
Well, let's just say - I have one up on him, I'm not a failed AFL coach. Think that gives me ultimately more credibility than him. :p

That Grant's opinions were valid? Certainly came across as supporting them. Apologies if I read it wrong.
I simply pointed out what he did when he was coaching with the captaincy and his reasoning for it

I love Tex but it's true that Sloane delivers on game day more regularly and to a higher standard than Tex.

Much easier to deliver on a more consistent bases running through the guts, than when you are a CHF who gets double teamed every week, but is more than happy to as it benefits the 5 other forwards around you.

Don't get me wrong I love Sloane and I'm sure I wouldnt be bothered if he was captain, but Tex just has that on-field presence and aura that Sloane does not.

Tex might not be clunking 10 marks and bagging 5 sausage rolls a game, but when he has his moments, they're truly something special.

I am happy with Tex's output, but it seems he will never be a genuine A grade star. We definitely should have picked Sloane as the captain but I guess he wasn't contracted at the time the decision was made.
What. the. Efffff.

I swear, some people really need to get some perspective. Tex is absolutely an A-Grade star. His influence on the game and those around him are completely tangible. He was voted by the AFL players as the best captain in the league in 2016, what more do you people need to get off this ridiculous line of posting?

Adelaide’s Taylor Walker crowned AFL’s best captain by his peers [link]

TAYLOR Walker has completed a stunning journey from surprise skipper to ultimate leader, crowned the AFL’s best captain by his peers at the AFLPA MVP awards night. Walker joined the likes of Joel Selwood, Luke Hodge and Robert Murphy to claim the honour of best captain, which is voted upon by players across the competition.​

Its a tough call. He has been a great captain. I also agree that he has not performed well enough for long enough to be a genuine A-grader. But that in itself does not mean he shouldnt be skipper.

I am worried that his body is gone. He cant crash packs and cant seem to turn. If so then I think his spot in the team is fair game now if someone is good enough. That could be Menzel/McGovern or it could be Dear. I dont think our captain should be a guy who is fighting to keep his spot. Right now for 2017 he is still outright no. 1 CHF. But things could turn south of he goes the way of Thommo this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a tough call. He has been a great captain. I also agree that he has not performed well enough for long enough to be a genuine A-grader. But that in itself does not mean he shouldnt be skipper.

I am worried that his body is gone. He cant crash packs and cant seem to turn. If so then I think his spot in the team is fair game now if someone is good enough. That could be Menzel/McGovern or it could be Dear. I dont think our captain should be a guy who is fighting to keep his spot. Right now for 2017 he is still outright no. 1 CHF. But things could turn south of he goes the way of Thommo this season.
So now Tex is going to be struggling for his spot in the 22 ??? It must be the quiet part of the off-season coz it's bringing out the crazies.

I am happy with Tex's output, but it seems he will never be a genuine A grade star. We definitely should have picked Sloane as the captain but I guess he wasn't contracted at the time the decision was made.

Tex is most certainly an "A grade". Might not be superstar status, but he's definitely amongst the top forwards of the game.

Like Ive said previously, the pure stat's don't do the great man justice. He's so much more than just marks and goals.

I've never seen walker belt a guy in a game we'd won and get suspended, leaving a big hole in our most important game. Sloane should of been traded for that.

He has never crashed packs ... last season he jumped for the ball as much as he ever did. He was out of form early but never got to his best. He would get a spot in any other team imho.

Was there suggestion he wouldn't get a game for other teams?

I can't think of a team that wouldn't have him in their forward line. Every team would sign him immediately if they had the chance

Should have

shaggy-o.gif

And Grant Thomas coached and won how many premierships? o_O

Spackler was just reminding forgetful posters that Cornflakes was a believer in a captaincy rotation system. Article suggests that he's nominated half the clubs as being better off changing captains. It's not a knock on Tex, it's just Thomas' odd view on captaincy.

Spackler was just reminding forgetful posters that Cornflakes was a believer in a captaincy rotation system. Article suggests that he's nominated half the clubs as being better off changing captains. It's not a knock on Tex, it's just Thomas' odd view on captaincy.
Hodge should handover to Lewis... hmmm oops!

Back