Thailand: Whats the facination?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gigantic Fantastic reply, thank you.

How hard was it to find the room for $200/m? I have been considering trying to 'bootstrap' a business idea and could easily cover a few months at AUD $800/m to make it work. All I need is a room with air con, wifi and a bed. I live on $400/week in Australia, including rent and bills, because I am frugal. Why could I not live on half of that in Chiang Mai? Even a $300/m place would leave $500 for food, water, coffee, maybe the occasional drink.

Talk me out of it.

You could easily find a room for around $250 a month..If you take it as Baht that's about 6000 baht a month. but you might lack some of the western mod cons you are used to...such as hot water. Even at 6000 baht you can find rooms. There are a truckload of sites advertising rooms, but id recommend waiting until u get there and looking around an area. Walking and inspecting is the best way to know what you are getting and there is always an over supply of rooms.

Where you will spend more is if you eat western food, or food in mall restaurant malls, If you like drinking imported beers or going out clubbing/pubs.

You can easily spend as much living in Thailand as you do here, depending on your lifestyle and willingness to sacrifice

What´s the fascination with Thailand... mmmm....let me think..

Freedom- Its not nanny state Australia with draconic laws
Price-Its not overpriced like Australia
Things to do-It´s not boring like Australia
Women-Femine, petite not white land whales with attitude and feminist views
Beaches- Where you can drink alcohol, blast music, use jet skis without getting arrested
Parties-Every night is a Saturday night

Beaches- Where you can drink alcohol, blast music, use jet skis without getting arrested
But are they actually women though?

But are they actually women though?
Just out of interest, why do so many people make these 'jokes'?

It is almost like NPC programming: whenever Thai women come up, their brain automatically tells them to 'make the ladyboy joke'.

I say this as somebody who has no interest in Thai women.

Last edited:
Just out of interest, why do so many people make these 'jokes'?

It is almost like NPC programming: whenever Thai women come up, their brain automatically tells them to 'make the ladyboy joke'.

I say this as somewbody who has no interest in Thai women.

I think western societies have ingrained the association into their perception of Thailand.

Thailand is probably the only culture in the world that is so openly accepting of transgenders.

I guess the fact that Thai women are mostly petite and feminine, makes spotting transgenders in Thailand that much easier and apparent to people.

Thai women are good.

Man, I was expecting old hags at my work when I went over...but they were the nicest and pretty good looking too.

Lunch time was a great perve. Office wear all year round...so good.

Foods great, beer is cheap,people are nice, scenery is excellent

Some decent condos around Maya shopping centre and not too far from the old town.

Buy street food 2 or 3 times a week and you save heaps of money. Decent sized expat community and 1 or 2 bars on Loi Kro road that show afl. Would happily live there for a year if i wasnt hamstrung with a mortage.
If it helps, the Downunder pub in Loi Kro is arguably the best in Chiang Mai for watching AFL/NRL. Expats that drink there are an ok bunch as well.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Some decent condos around Maya shopping centre and not too far from the old town.

Buy street food 2 or 3 times a week and you save heaps of money. Decent sized expat community and 1 or 2 bars on Loi Kro road that show afl. Would happily live there for a year if i wasnt hamstrung with a mortage.
Rent out the place to pay the mortgage go live somewhere cheaper

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fiancée has floated the idea of going to Thailand for a honeymoon.

How easily avoidable is the sex industry there?

Plenty to do without it. In fact you can be that busy it wouldn't even be noticeable.
The sex industry is really only concentrated in certain parts of certain cities/towns - Bangla Road in Phuket, Pattaya and small sections of Bangkok
t

People who want it will find it. And if you are looking it would easily be found. But no different from any other tourist trap.

If it helps, the Downunder pub in Loi Kro is arguably the best in Chiang Mai for watching AFL/NRL. Expats that drink there are an ok bunch as well.

Yeah went there for an Aust world cup qualifier a few years back. Is the big old fella still running the place? Also the joint is near the riverside which has a few ripping bars.

Looking forward to paying the 'Mai a visit this November.

Last edited:
Yeah went there for an Aust world cup qualifier a few years back. Is the big old fella still running the place? Also the joint is near the riverside which has a few ripping bars.

Looking forward to paying the 'Mai a visit this November.
Current owner is 'Big old' Torry (Swans supporter). He took over from 'Big old' Stewie (Freo supporter) three years back. Stewie is still around and both are good blokes to have a beer with.

I think western societies have ingrained the association into their perception of Thailand.

Thailand is probably the only culture in the world that is so openly accepting of transgenders.

I guess the fact that Thai women are mostly petite and feminine, makes spotting transgenders in Thailand that much easier and apparent to people.
For starters, transgender individuals are not legally recognized, while marriage between two people of the same sex has no legal validity.

Transgender people in Thailand can’t change the sex on their identity card, even after undergoing complete sexual reassignment surgery. This inability to officially change their gender leaves them continually open to abuse for the rest of their lives.

As a result transgender people face problems when they are required to show their identity cards for routine acts such as opening a bank account or traveling abroad, because their appearance does not correspond with the gender on their documents. Others are simply stigmatized,
https://thediplomat.com/2016/11/an-lgbti-oasis-discrimination-in-thailand/

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

For starters, transgender individuals are not legally recognized, while marriage between two people of the same sex has no legal validity.

Transgender people in Thailand can’t change the sex on their identity card, even after undergoing complete sexual reassignment surgery. This inability to officially change their gender leaves them continually open to abuse for the rest of their lives.

As a result transgender people face problems when they are required to show their identity cards for routine acts such as opening a bank account or traveling abroad, because their appearance does not correspond with the gender on their documents. Others are simply stigmatized,
https://thediplomat.com/2016/11/an-lgbti-oasis-discrimination-in-thailand/

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

They don't have those rights as you say, but Thailand is far more accepting of trans people than places such as Australia

Anyone been to Kanchanburi? Thinking paying the town a visit in November.
Yes, a couple of times. Plenty of people head out there via mini buses or taxi and just do a day trip or stay a night or two. Personally I think the train ride out there is better and gives a better experience. You can easily spend a few days or weeks out there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back