Thailand: Whats the facination?

Remove this Banner Ad

SE Asia has never been my cup of tea and nothing's changed my opinion. I have interests in going to many other second/third world countries (eg latin America, Carribean, former Soviet blocs, China, Nepal). These are predominantly controlled by my various personal sightseeing and culture interests. I would be keen on going to a few African countries (eg South Africa, Egypt), but I am really worried about my safety in those places. Morrocco and Tunisia may be worth considering though.

But what I'm saying is that maybe your idea of an overseas holiday and my idea are different. I'm not there for a life changing experience. I'm there to get away from my normal life and stay in a nice hotel, see the sights and enjoy some good shopping. I'm not afraid to say that I like the more commercial places. Thats what appeals to me.

Even when you go to New York, London, Paris etc, its not Australia. It has a different atmosphere, different types of people. You still get to experience the culture. I don't see a problem with it.

I'm sure there are places that you are not interested in going to. Different places appeal to different people.

Ok I respect that. I obvisouly didn't use very subtle words when I put my opinion across before, probably due to the fact that I've been trying to convince a girl from work to try different stuff, she is incredibly high maintenance. Her and 3 other girls form work are going to Europe on a tour for 5 weeks, 2 of the girls have 3 weeks to themselves, and the girl in question won't even go anywhere she has to carry her own luggage. There's obviously nothing wrong with wanting to travel in comfort but I just find that totally ridiculous...

SE Asia has never been my cup of tea and nothing's changed my opinion. I have interests in going to many other second/third world countries (eg latin America, Carribean, former Soviet blocs, China, Nepal). These are predominantly controlled by my various personal sightseeing and culture interests. I would be keen on going to a few African countries (eg South Africa, Egypt), but I am really worried about my safety in those places. Morrocco and Tunisia may be worth considering though.

Tunisia is fascinating. I enjoyed Sidi bou Said (a town on a cliff top).

I got lost in the Medina though (the markets in the old town) of Tunis.

Okay so I am going over for pretty much the whole month of July.

Annual leave, flights and tours booked.

Going for the Asian Cup...so first 4 games will be in Bangkok then may go to Kuala Lumpur for the semi final...and possibly Jakarta for the final (depending on safety etc at the time, anyone had experiences in Jakarta? I went to Bali but that was years ago).

My guided tour runs out on the 17th of July..so looking for a cheap, clean and fairly nice place to stay in Bangkok til about the 2nd of August.

I'm going by myself. Will obviously meet fellow Aussies as I am going on 'The Fanatics' tour but hopefully some stick around for longer. Out of my mates I am the only one to have a full time job and can afford this and was just sick of putting off trips etc etc cos my mates can't afford it, going outta my comfort zone a bit so shall see how I go?

Anyone else going around the same time? What is the weather like there from July to August?

Any bars where you can watch the AFL games?

Any nightclub/bar tips?

Also are there a lot of travelling hotties over there at most stages of the year? Not that into Thai girls personally!

Anybody been to China of late? I went in 98 and although certain parts were very scenic and bautiful, it was a ********en hole overall. People spitting everywhere (including indoor places), filthy toilets, the pollution... Just an overwhelming sense of being in an un-hygienic place. I have been told it has come a long way since.
It hasn't.

Okay so I am going over for pretty much the whole month of July.

Annual leave, flights and tours booked.

Going for the Asian Cup...so first 4 games will be in Bangkok then may go to Kuala Lumpur for the semi final...and possibly Jakarta for the final (depending on safety etc at the time, anyone had experiences in Jakarta? I went to Bali but that was years ago).

My guided tour runs out on the 17th of July..so looking for a cheap, clean and fairly nice place to stay in Bangkok til about the 2nd of August.

I'm going by myself. Will obviously meet fellow Aussies as I am going on 'The Fanatics' tour but hopefully some stick around for longer. Out of my mates I am the only one to have a full time job and can afford this and was just sick of putting off trips etc etc cos my mates can't afford it, going outta my comfort zone a bit so shall see how I go?

Anyone else going around the same time? What is the weather like there from July to August?

Any bars where you can watch the AFL games?

Any nightclub/bar tips?

Also are there a lot of travelling hotties over there at most stages of the year? Not that into Thai girls personally!
I was in Thailand in June/July last year.

It was meant to be getting towards the monsoon season, but it didn't rain that much. It's just really humid!

As for accomodation, if you're on a budget, then you'll probably end up at Kho San Rd. It's the travellers mecca, although I didn't really like it that much. We didn't up staying there anyway. We stayed in Siam Square which was next door to the massive MBK shopping centre.

Tips:

- When you're in the tourist areas and in a bar and an Asian chick is eyeing you up, she doesn't really like you (or she's not really a chick). They also don't care of you're wife is sitting next to you!
- There were lots of Dutch, Belgian, English, Swedes, Irish chicks
- Get in a metered taxi if you can. it's cheaper than the Skyrail. While a tuk tuk is cool to do once, they will try to rip you off at every oppurtunity. Taxis are airconditioned. Also, make sure you identify the correct place you want to go. We got in a taxi and asked to go to the train station. We had all our bags and he assumed we said Airport. It wasn't until he got on the freeway did we realise he wasa going the wrong way. Showing our rail tickets got him to turn around.
- If the AFL is on at the same time as any Asian Cup game, then forget it. The Thai's are mad for football. I was there during the World Cup and it was wall to wall football.
- Don't drink the buckets. That's all I can say on that!

The biggest tip:

Only wear the supporter gear to and from the stadium. I made the mistake of wearing my Socceroos top the day of the game against Brazil. I was in Patong and constantly got harrassed by people going "Harry Cool, Harry Cool". For 10 HOURS!

Thanks for the tips mate!!!

What's this about the buckets? lol
You know when you're young at a uni party or another type of party and it's 5am and you just throw the leftovers of every bottle you can find, put it together, add coke and drink it.

They sell those in Thailand!

...and possibly Jakarta for the final (depending on safety etc at the time, anyone had experiences in Jakarta? I went to Bali but that was years ago).

I live / work in Jakarta. It's not what I'd call utopia, but it's certainly worth a visit and don't be intimidated or mislead by what you see on channel 9. We met Richo at the GF function last year (I think he arranged it 6 months ahead LOL), so even the Richo and famous sometimes reach these back blocks.

Don't be put off by whatever Alexander Downer tells you. They should have travel warnings out for London; France and NYC, but that's not PC.

I dunno what you're looking for, but the night life ranges from "sleaze" to "Khao San Road type backpacker haunts" to "sophisticated" and everything in between. Kemang is where most of the expat haunts are. Jalan Jaksa for backpackers.

Where / when is the final for this thing? Senayan? I wasn't aware of it... must have been hiding under a rock.

ps - yes, avoid those buckets. Check out Koh Samet if in Thailand... say hi to the folks at the Ploy Bar for me.... a great place to chill out, and only 3 hours from BKK. If that doesn't tickle you fancy (or you like drugs), then try Koh Chang.

I was in Thailand in June/July last year.

It was meant to be getting towards the monsoon season, but it didn't rain that much. It's just really humid!

As for accomodation, if you're on a budget, then you'll probably end up at Kho San Rd. It's the travellers mecca, although I didn't really like it that much. We didn't up staying there anyway. We stayed in Siam Square which was next door to the massive MBK shopping centre.

Tips:

- When you're in the tourist areas and in a bar and an Asian chick is eyeing you up, she doesn't really like you (or she's not really a chick). They also don't care of you're wife is sitting next to you!
- There were lots of Dutch, Belgian, English, Swedes, Irish chicks
- Get in a metered taxi if you can. it's cheaper than the Skyrail. While a tuk tuk is cool to do once, they will try to rip you off at every oppurtunity. Taxis are airconditioned. Also, make sure you identify the correct place you want to go. We got in a taxi and asked to go to the train station. We had all our bags and he assumed we said Airport. It wasn't until he got on the freeway did we realise he wasa going the wrong way. Showing our rail tickets got him to turn around.
- If the AFL is on at the same time as any Asian Cup game, then forget it. The Thai's are mad for football. I was there during the World Cup and it was wall to wall football.
- Don't drink the buckets. That's all I can say on that!

The biggest tip:

Only wear the supporter gear to and from the stadium. I made the mistake of wearing my Socceroos top the day of the game against Brazil. I was in Patong and constantly got harrassed by people going "Harry Cool, Harry Cool". For 10 HOURS!
Haha that's great :D

Is it really that easy to get a root over there :eek:

I like that there was lots of Irish, Swedish etc chicks over there... they are hot :thumbsu:
:eek: Swedes yeah the best on the planet but Irish hmmm no

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it really that easy to get a root over there :eek:

I like that there was lots of Irish, Swedish etc chicks over there... they are hot :thumbsu:

Now listen guys, a word of advice from your Auntie Gabbie who has been there a few times (booked again for Xmas/New Year '07)

There are plenty of what you call "hot Scandanavian chicks" there, but remember, there are also plenty of "hot Scandanavian, German, even some Aussies and from all other places GUYS" for these girls to pick and choose. Trust me, propped on a banana lounge and people watching on the beach is fun especially when you see some dorky guys who think they are crash hot trying to crack onto a couple of blonde and tanned Swedish lovelies , who, even blind Freddy could spot, are not interested.

Good luck anyone and don't forget to be CAREFUL if you decide to try the "local" talent which is in great supply from what I saw.

From reading this thread, it would appear Paul Keating was correct when he said that Asia is the place you fly over on the way to Europe. :)

No doubt that the pyramids would be interesting to see. But other than that Egypt wouldn't interest me, so it wouldn't be enough to get me there.

I love places like New York. Relatively safe, easy to get around and plenty to see.

Wow...heading off for you're 8th trip overseas......so top destination is New York.....of the other 6 could I hazard a guess and say - New Zealand (but only Christchurch or Auckland), LA, Florida, London, Hong Kong and Hawaii?

Most places are relatively safe and getting around whilst sometimes a hassle (yes those 14 hour bus journey's are a killer), but that's part of the adventure. No point travelling if all ur going to do and see is what you do at home.

I have NO desire to travel pretty much anywhere in Asia. I don't like dust, dirt, crowds, sus hygiene etc etc.

Guess that's why I haven't left Australia yet. Am aiming to get to New Zealand and Europe in the next few years though.
Ever heard of Singapore? Sure the city is crowded, but Singapore has the reputation as one of the cleanest countries in the world, and the public transportation system is one of the best worldwide.

I should shut up now, I sound like a walking advertisement...

Vietnam is where I wanna go next year. Seems an interesting place. Anyone sampled this country?

Spent two weeks there last year. Went from North to South and was interested to see how vastly different the country was depending where you go. Bought a kashmir suit for fifty American dollars, handmade and fitted, from a town called Hoi An.

Recommend Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh, Hue, Hoi An and Danang.

Going for holidays to Bangkok for 3 weeks.

Great thread, deserved a bump

Remove this Banner Ad

Back