Universal Love Thank-you ❤️ (The gratitude thread, who / what are you thankful for?)

Remove this Banner Ad

In the spirit of all the positive energy being channeled by our Senior Coach, I kick it off with this heartfelt gratitude …

A sincere thanks to Jeff Kennett and the Hawthorn Football Club for promoting Sam Mitchell.

A huge sliding doors moment that took Mitchell off the table for us, we end up with one of their less fancied assistants for our Senior Coach in Fly, we end up with another of their less fancied assistants as director of coaching and assistant coach in Bolton, the media spotlight gets pointed at another club for a change (Hawks), Carlton burn a huge amount of energy in a fruitless chase for Clarkson, over the next season a large number of clubs tie themselves up in knots in the chase for Clarkson’s signature, Hawthorn don’t get mentioned in the 2022 season without a comment about “paying Clarkson a million bucks to play on his farm”, all whilst our club quietly goes about surprising even its most optimistic of one-eye’ed supporters.

Sometimes winning isn’t only about getting ahead, sometimes it’s also about your opponents going backwards

Walsh / The Collingwood leadership’s decision to move Buckley on mid-season last year has to be one of the most consequential decisions in the club’s recent history and it’s still playing out, and will continue to play out many more seasons to come.

As anybody involved in AFL footy will tell you, the game is all about playing your role. Kennett and Hawthorn FC played their role beautifully, and so to them I am sincerely grateful. Thank-you ❤️

Over to you, who / what are you grateful for for?

Last edited:

I'm grateful our club has had a good hard look at itself and taken a thorough, genuine and positive approach to step away from outdated attitudes and place themselves back in line with community values and expectations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm thankful that I was wrong about Korda. Mr Korda actually did a really good job of the transition from an Ed dominated Collingwood to what we have now. I had serious doubts about him and I wasn't happy when the board appointed him as I felt we needed a full system flush.
Korda deserves real credit for getting us where we are now. A completely transformed and united club both on and off field. He made good decisions in the transition period to get us here. Could've so easily been a real mess.

i'm thankful to eddie for appointing graham wright as football manager and for falling on his sword. I'm thankful for buckley for also falling on his sword for his own failings and for the failings of a lot of people at the club. I'm thankful that he remains loyal to the club unlike some previous coaches.

I'm thankful that the ejection of three 'super dooper champions" in stephenson, phillips and treloar can be seen retrospectively as a relatively minor loss of talent. I'm thankful that many of the faithful who are irrational and emotional concerning decisions like those, were not the decision makers at the time.

I'm thankful every day that the club has appeared to learn the benefits of shutting its collective mouth, from transiting to a president who keeps as low a profile as any pie president I can remember, to a set of football people who do the same - the football manager who leaves the injury reports to his fitness manager to the head coach who rarely talks about anything other than some general themes about improving culture and performance.

But most of all, I'm thankful that I realise the club has achieved nothing so far other than to put the right people in place and that any success wont be as easy as some people will tell you.

Thankful for having Jamie Elliott. I seriously think he personally got us over the line in several of our close wins.
I think that kick after siren could end up being a season defining moment for us you could see it by the players reaction to it, also I am very thankful to Natasha she knows who she is. You are are right about Jamie I think his quiet determination gets us over the line quite a lot, a bit of a silent assassin.

I think that kick after siren could end up being a season defining moment for us you could see it by the players reaction to it, also I am very thankful to Natasha she knows who she is. You are are right about Jamie I think his quiet determination gets us over the line quite a lot, a bit of a silent assassin.
So we have a silent assassin and a smiling assassin?

I’m thankful for Kane Cornes and his predictions working out the opposite of what he says

I’m thankful for Kane Cornes and his predictions working out the opposite of what he says
I’ve never met a bigger f-wit in my life, and I watch Robbo on 360 and Caro on FC.

He still ‘isn’t convinced’ by the Pies 😂

What the hell is this guy’s problem?

Wish he’d get off Ginnivan’s bandwagon. Just look at what’s happened since Corne changed his tune there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back