News Thank you Ben Silvagni, Darcy Lang, Hugh Goddard & Finbar O’Dwyer

Remove this Banner Ad

Before Ben was drafted, he was always considered to be the better of the Silvagni boys, (better than Jack.) But low and behold he has now been delisted, and has not got the chance to prove it. Lang, O'Dwyer and Goddard were good VFL players, and not up to AFL standard and accordingly deserved to be delisted. Sorry you didn't make it guys, but all the best for the future, when you had the chance, you wore the navy blue jumper with distinction, and we will be grateful for your contributions to our great club.

Ben wasn't a rookie, picked up in the national draft. Moreso because father and son have exited the club in less than 12 months, wouldn't surprise me to see Jack leave also.

I don't see Jack leaving, if he did over his brother not being good enough to maintain his position at the club then we probably don't want that type of person at the club either.

I'm surprised BSOS has been cut this early, yet we've still got Moore and Macreadie on the books (for now). Would have liked to see him given a chance at AFL level. Other three can't complain on ability/list sizes. But as someone who has infrequent contact with Hugh Goddard, the bloke is an absolute champion. Hooked me up at the last minute with a signed match guernsey for a charity drive I was doing at work. Dropped off some training gear the year before after I gave him a good deal on a phone. Cracking fella. Best of luck to all of them.

This seems to have turned into a B Silvagni thread and I'm as guilty as anyone for that.

I'd like to wish all 4 of these boys well in their future endeavours, It's sad that it didn't work out for them but that's life. You pick yourself up and move onto the next thing.

Before Ben was drafted, he was always considered to be the better of the Silvagni boys, (better than Jack.) But low and behold he has now been delisted, and has not got the chance to prove it. Lang, O'Dwyer and Goddard were good VFL players, and not up to AFL standard and accordingly deserved to be delisted. Sorry you didn't make it guys, but all the best for the future, when you had the chance, you wore the navy blue jumper with distinction, and we will be grateful for your contributions to our great club.

If Ben was higher rated than his brother another team would have put in a bid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talls take longer, but we've already got our share and the list reduction are a cruel combination for young Ben. Worth another year in any other circumstance. Hopefully he has a 2nd tier comp to go to next year and makes an impression.

Wouldn't be surprised if Serge and Stephen get into Jack's ear and tell him to knuckle down and fight his way back into the senior side. Doubt either would want to see him spit the dummy over his less committed brother getting delisted.
Exactly. If any family understands the nature of the footy industry, it’s this one. I doubt Jack would leave as his dad has moved on and his brother will do the same.
Otherwise, all the best to the boys for their next chapter in life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't be surprised if Serge and Stephen get into Jack's ear and tell him to knuckle down and fight his way back into the senior side. Doubt either would want to see him spit the dummy over his less committed brother getting delisted.

It would be a bit creepy if Serge got into Jacks ear

Good luck to all 4 in the future. Anyone who wears the Carlton jumper is part of Carlton history, so thank you boys.

I will add about Jack possibly leaving because his brother has been delisted. I am sure that he has been around football long enough and had many conversations with his granddad and his father over the years to know that football administration is a business. I really doubt that Jack is thinking of leaving his current club where he has regularly been in the 22 when he has been fit because his brother, who might not get picked up by another AFL club, has been delisted.

Last edited:
Bit of bad luck for these boys with the list cuts happening. All these guys weren't bad footballers and it's probably the first lot of players who had either potential or ability to competently play AFL football get delisted at Carlton for a long time.

Having said that, with the way the reserves competition is going to look next season Clubs will be looking for players to fill the gap there and you would think that list sizes will go back to normal when other things do.

I would think a spot at this level of competition may be open for players like this who have been pushed out, particularly Silvagni who is still young and clubs will be keeping an eye on who is going well so you would think the aim here would be to get back on an AFL list by 2022 for someone like Silvagni and perhaps even Goddard who would be a competent AFL defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back