News Thank you Ben Silvagni, Darcy Lang, Hugh Goddard & Finbar O’Dwyer

Remove this Banner Ad

All the best to these young men, I hope they find a role that fills their lives with happiness.

But as long as conditional players remain on our list we ain't going to be playing finals.

Before Ben was drafted, he was always considered to be the better of the Silvagni boys, (better than Jack.) But low and behold he has now been delisted, and has not got the chance to prove it. Lang, O'Dwyer and Goddard were good VFL players, and not up to AFL standard and accordingly deserved to be delisted. Sorry you didn't make it guys, but all the best for the future, when you had the chance, you wore the navy blue jumper with distinction, and we will be grateful for your contributions to our great club.

At the time Jack was drafted, Tom was considered to be the best, then Ben and Jack was the least talented based on junior footy to that stage. It's completely flipped on its head now with Tom not a consideration for a list spot at all.

I wonder what happened to Ben and Tom as they got older.

I think we can safely say that Jack had the determination to get there.

As for Darcy and Hugh, thanks for your efforts and you'll always be in the record books as having been Carlton players. Finbar was an odd selection at the time and unfortunately, maybe too much of a slow burner. Ben and Fin are young enough to go somewhere, work hard and earn an AFL recall if they are good enough.

Weitering and Jones played every game. If either of them missed he would have played. Who else on the list was cover?

We are still in the same position now I guess. Weiters, Jones or bust. Levi and Gov as back ups if our forward line isn't out with injury, and sweating that Marchy and Macreadie can even get on the park.

Was there any point on holding on to Goddard last year?
He played a game or two toward the tail end of last season, served as decent backup for Jones/Weitering if the coaches wanted Cas up the ground.

Think of him akin to Callum Moore, a break glass in case of emergency player. Unfortunately, we needed to play Moore; fortunately, we didn't need to play Goddard.

In any case, it's a little churlish of me to be talking like this in a farewell thread. Best of luck to all four, and I hope that they go on to do well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back