News Thank you Bolts

Remove this Banner Ad

I was a big fan of Bolts and will miss him as our coach but understandably, the wins weren’t there.

His press conference was all class, dignified and humble til the end. I wish we had in at our club in another role, he’s such a great person who instilled such a positive culture during a shitty time. He will go onto other better things, too.

Thanks Bolts, unlucky with your time this year and all the best.

He'll be a good assistant coach elsewhere and be an asset due to those characteristics.
Just didn't seem to have the tactical nous to be head coach.

Thanks Bolts, you are a champion bloke, of that I am sure. Dealt a poor hand over the journey, but ultimately the responsibility falls squarely on the coach's shoulders, rightly or wrongly. At the moment it feels, sadly, like the right decision, but only if the right appointment is now made.sure many of us feel a bit gutted but also relieved ATM.

Last edited:
Thank you Brendon, you’ve left your indelible smile and infectious enthusiasm across our entire club.
I know I said I wouldn’t blink and I apologise for blinking, thanks for your services and good luck to you and your family, we’re a better club for having you on board, albeit all too briefly!

STUPID DECISION.

What's the point of doing it mid season?

It just had to be done, I think I’m as shattered as he would be but there really was no choice. The season was starting to pan out like last year

An utterly brilliant man and communicator, this game is brutal but unfortunately he had to go.

Every coaching/development position bar Amos' should be open to applications around the league. Pay whatever is necessary, we need to attract quality candidates.
Actually can’t believe Amos wasn’t appointed caretaker coach, easily the best assistant by a country mile and we better hold on to him as defensive coach. We need top shelf development coaches no matter what it takes we have the most young players to develop.

Hate to lose good people with good values from the football club. From what we could see, you have to respect the hell out of him as a bloke. I believe his intentions were right the entire time but just haven't been able to execute in what has been a very tough situation to coach. I'm not sure many coaches could last the process we have undertaken.

Good luck Bolts.

I feel sick. Never forget I was at the club about a week after he started and the place was so different to the negativity of Malthouse. He made the place happy again. He did so much for the club and the players, gave it everything. Class act

Whether it is the right thing I don't know. My take is he is the circuit breaker to release the pressure. His list is young and unfit. Makes it hard. These days it's not about one person. Never is.

Club now needs to stand up and keep moving forward. It's a huge appointment now. Can't get it wrong.

All the best Bolts. You're a class act and you have done a lot of good. If we achieve the ultimate success you will be a big part of the reason
Spot on Soap, if he is the only coaching change we will have achieved nothing.

Thank you, Bolts. You’ve been incredible for this club, and deserve better!

In my opinion, this is not only a bad call, it’s a lazy, surface level call...

I’m really disappointed in the club. Bolton was exactly what this club needed, and would’ve been great moving forward. Bad, bad, lazy call.

All I can say is, hopefully they do this properly, and clean out the other coaches whose flaws have gone unnoticed because Bolts took all the hits.

And god help us if we appoint Brad Scott. You think we’re bad now. Wait til he gets a hold of us!

At least go after Clarkeson now, with everything we’ve got. That’s the only I way I can see this as a positive move.

Not happy.
The only 2 I will be happy with is Clarkson numero uno, or get on our blended knees and beg Rattan to come home where he belongs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why not?...

We want results, right? That’s why we sacked the coach. Unacceptable results. They’re just as responsible as Bolts was. If he goes, they should all go.

But that wouldn’t be practical, would it? So let’s sack the man who worked and felt for this club, like he’s been there 20 years.

Poor decision. Easy way out. Lazy and surface level.

Couldn't agree more.

I concede no-one outside the club could possibly profess to understand why things have not gone to plan recently. However, it is clear even from the timing of the decision that neither do those in charge of the club. Whilst the cause of our form may lay on Brendan, I would find it an enormous coincidence that the ‘easiest’ target is in fact the correct one, and even if the cause happens to be Brendan my feeling is that the club would have ‘lucked’ into making the correct decision more than anything.

The decision is clearly a weak one that has been made ‘on the hop’ without any clear data or proper investigative measures behind it, a bowing to media and power broker pressures that I thought were a thing of the past. It has been made on the simple formula that the club is not performing up to expectation, therefore it must be the senior coach’s fault. This is a flawed concept and one that has been proven so very wrong by others making decisions on their senior coach, including most recently Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon and Geelong.

All examples show the senior coach not being responsible for the club performing below expectation. All examples show a club not giving in to intense media pressure and instead making calm, considered, courageous decisions. All examples showed the benefit of not jumping on the ‘easy option’ but instead finding the right one.

Today the club showed me that professing a ‘patient’ rebuild and a ‘unified club’ over the last three and half years, that the ‘old Carlton’ is gone, have all been nothing but false promises. The old Carlton is well and truly alive. We lack the steel and courage to make the correct, maybe unpopular decisions as our peers have done, and are instead again going for the easiest, laziest option to take short term heat off the club whilst displaying scant regard for the long term. We are truly not a club that has ‘modernised’ its way of thinking. Our thinking hasn’t changed at all; we have only put up nicer window dressings.

The club gained my respect back in 2015, and I truly believed the board would be strong enough to deal appropriately with a situation like what now presents itself. Today, I have been proven wrong. Today, I realise that I was made to look a fool for believing the messages that were being ‘sold’ to myself and others. Today, the club has failed the first real test it has faced under the so called ‘new regime’l

Bluesome, he had to go....never wanted him to but the facts are this season was heading to 2018 levels. The data is there for all to see, I feel sick right now because Bolts is clearly just a wonderful person but you can’t continue to go where we were going without doing anything.

The players clearly were losing hope with the game style and needed a circuit breaker.

It sucks dogs balls, but the club made the right decision

STUPID DECISION.

What's the point of doing it mid season?
I have been a big Bolton supporter and am generally against mid season firings. But, when the club and players have lost confidence and belief in themselves, the processes and the coaching, it's time to move on before the club loses the players entirely.

Couldn't agree more.

I concede no-one outside the club could possibly profess to understand why things have not gone to plan recently. However, it is clear even from the timing of the decision that neither do those in charge of the club. Whilst the cause of our form may lay on Brendan, I would find it an enormous coincidence that the ‘easiest’ target is in fact the correct one, and even if the cause happens to be Brendan my feeling is that the club would have ‘lucked’ into making the correct decision more than anything.

The decision is clearly a weak one that has been made ‘on the hop’ without any clear data or proper investigative measures behind it, a bowing to media and power broker pressures that I thought were a thing of the past. It has been made on the simple formula that the club is not performing up to expectation, therefore it must be the senior coach’s fault. This is a flawed concept and one that has been proven so very wrong by others making decisions on their senior coach, including most recently Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon and Geelong.

All examples show the senior coach not being responsible for the club performing below expectation. All examples show a club not giving in to intense media pressure and instead making calm, considered, courageous decisions. All examples showed the benefit of not jumping on the ‘easy option’ but instead finding the right one.

Today the club showed me that professing a ‘patient’ rebuild and a ‘unified club’ over the last three and half years, that the ‘old Carlton’ is gone, have all been nothing but false promises. The old Carlton is well and truly alive. We lack the steel and courage to make the correct, maybe unpopular decisions as our peers have done, and are instead again going for the easiest, laziest option to take short term heat off the club whilst displaying scant regard for the long term. We are truly not a club that has ‘modernised’ its way of thinking. Our thinking hasn’t changed at all; we have only put up nicer window dressings.

The club gained my respect back in 2015, and I truly believed the board would be strong enough to deal appropriately with a situation like what now presents itself. Today, I have been proven wrong. Today, I realise that I was made to look a fool for believing the messages that were being ‘sold’ to myself and others. Today, the club has failed the first real test it has faced under the so called ‘new regime’l

An eloquent dissertation, but the blame is not entirely on the senior coach. In fact, I place just as much blame on the pathetic coaching staff around him. The entire cohort needs to be ripped out and reset.

This was a very difficult decision, and it will certainly be followed by more difficult but necessary decisions.

Yeah, tough watching that...as invested as you could possibly hope for in a coach.

Brought a sense of integrity back to the place, if not enough W's.

Will always remember the day he took my little man for a behind the scenes tour, giving up half an hour of his time to make a kid's day (more like year).

Cheers Bolts.

and the Dads and dudes day
Mother's day too
Lots of good things that I hope club keeps going forward
I am so sad right now

Bluesome, he had to go....never wanted him to but the facts are this season was heading to 2018 levels. The data is there for all to see, I feel sick right now because Bolts is clearly just a wonderful person but you can’t continue to go where we were going without doing anything.

The players clearly were losing hope with the game style and needed a circuit breaker.

It sucks dogs balls, but the club made the right decision

It is not a matter of sacking the senior coach or bust, other decisions can be made after a considered understanding of why things are where they are. 'Win/loss' is not an investigation. That is what is happening, not why. The why is the most important, and the fact is that if we had won the Hawthorn and Gold Coast games, and sat here with a record of 3 and 8, the decision would not have been made.

The fact that two kicks is the difference between us keeping and losing a senior coach shows it was a rushed decision made for the wrong reasons.

No one on here can say that Bolton was the problem, just like I can't say that he wasn't the problem, because there are so many variables that could be at play within a footy club. The fact that we have made the decision as we have done shows the lack of consideration around the decision making progress.

Again, it could prove to be the right decision. But, even if this is the case, it was not made for the right reasons.

Feel very sad for Brendon. He took the fall for a number of list decisions like trading out Gibbs and taking the long term view by playing (too many) kids. Very classy during the press conference and did not take a single pot shot at upper management. I hope he takes some time off to recharge, spend quality time with his young family and find another footy job soon. The club and players owe him.

I hope behind closed doors that he has told a few home truths.

Brutal but necessary

He’d both coached and worked with mates of mine and is a good Tassie man, I had very high hopes but it just didn’t work out

Question mark over the pres for mine. Not due to the appointment or sacking though, I’m just not instilled with much confidence by him as a leader

Good luck in the future, Bolts. Let’s hope we find a beauty

Remove this Banner Ad

Back