News Thank you Bolts

Remove this Banner Ad

First and foremost thanks to Bolts for the effort and time he has put into our football club. He spoke with such passion and professionalism in the press conference this afternoon, when this does turn around he will be forever remembered as playing a massive part in this rebuild. As Cripps and Doc said Bolts was a great mentor, with what I believe was a large focus on culture and making our players better people. However the broader community and Carlton football club needed to see more than that, we needed to see wins. It’s a brutal industry. FWIW I don’t think the blame should be placed solely on Bolts, this year the only improvement I personally have seen is in the backhalf. IMO Bolts’ assistants have failed him, but the buck has to stop somewhere.

I wish you all the best Bolts! You are an amazing person and one of the AFL’s real “good guys”.

I'm the older brigade too
It is not fair to put all this on Brendon and I am waiting to see who else gets the chop
I was happy when Malthouse got the chop but this and Ratten's sacking did and do not please me at all

Same for me as well Neesy.

From OR on TC ...

MLG is human.

He sacked a person who everyone agrees is a really great guy.

MLG has feelings, he knows BB is a good person, he also sat there and delivered an outcome which many on here had been calling for and indeed celebrated as it became clear it was about to happen.

MLG has been highly successful for the Blues. He may be poor in the media but he fronted the presser today and delivered a tough message.

Poor form to bag a leader who wasn't perfectly eloquent in delivering the news of having sacked a genuinely nice person.

As for people saying he didn't pump BB up enough, he would have been pilloried as being fake if he'd praised BB too much whilst sacking him for failing to deliver.

Bolton did the hard work and whoever comes in will reap the benefit of that. Bit rough getting sacked in the 4th year of a 7 year rebuild but we are Carlton and this is the sort of thing we do. It's why we've been so bad for 20 years.

The worst thing about all of this is that it goes to prove we had no idea what was going to happen when we begin doing what we have done and that is on guys like Stephen Silvagni and MLG's head. If they didn't realise rebuilding through the draft with kids and virtually no senior foundations would make us this bad for this long then they are fools and that's being kind. That's concerning for me.

It raises serious concerns in regard to our administration and whether we actually know what we are doing and that we probably haven't changed our ways at all over the last 20 years. Here we are, a club with really bad list problems and again we sack yet another coach. We are the sort of club who fixes a flat tyre by replacing the engine and keeps doing it over and over again and wondering why it's not going anywhere.

This really really makes you wonder about people who thought we could go down this path and be competitive by now with a team of kids. Why does our football club believe that if you don't have senior players and rebuild with kids that it takes about 5 years to compete. Do they know anything about football at all?

I would hope the people at our club learn something.

On the positive side I don't think this will hurt us too much. There are some things to look forward to.

We should improve next season unless we start losing decent players and fail to gain good mature players. I think we are still a couple of seasons away from being a decent side regardless of who is coaching as I don't think the coach is too important in a modern setup.

The new coach effect should kick in for a month or so. Just about all sides overperform for a short period of time under a new coach. Not sure why but it seems to motivate players and kick things into gear.

On the negative side, unless our list looks really attractive I can't see too many coaches putting their hands up to coach us unless we really overpay and that's going to really hurt us with our off field cap. Our record with coaches and our tendency to sack them makes us really unappealing. In fact after this, after Ratten, after Malthouse I would think we would be the last place you would want to coach to be honest unless we pay and pay well. Then again there are always people out there looking for a head coaching job.

I can't help to think this was a typical Carlton decision to appease powerbroker board members, fans and media people. Typical of us, looking for someone to blame and it's always the coach.

I don't think time will tell whether this is a good move or not as our list should improve unless we start failing with recruitment and when it matures, whoever is coaching is going to be fortunate enough to have a list with quality and time to further build on their side.

I feel sorry for Bolton and feel this was a real nothing move. I think he knew what he was doing, he just didn't have the players. Hopefully whoever comes in will come in and be fully supported in all aspects and goes really well.

he was on a hiding to nothing yesterday. keeping one behind the ball instead of evening up at the stoppages seems like a reasonable tactic to me, unfortunately we were minus two of our half backs who happen to be very experienced, and the guy we would have hoped to start some skilful halfback attacking, newman, sprayed the ball everywhere. asking more from a midfield of 18-21 year olds isn't going to happen, and both ends suffer for the cattle in that part of the paddock.

i'm fairly indifferent about coaching personnel - it's for people closer to the action to sort out. other than barker, who should be seeking to further his professional development away from carlton, at least for his good if not perhaps for the good of both parties.
it seems like a pragmatic removal with factors other than what's happening on field being taken into consideration, rather than thinking brendan could never turn it around. in time he may well have but it appears the powers that be feel it's time we don't have.

go well brendan

I agree to this post. And players also need to be held accountable . You could see it in the leadership groups eyes.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I understand the tough situation he was in, but it seems way overdue no? Not many other sporting leagues would've been that lenient he would've been sacked long ago.

He had a terrible task put in front of him.

Probably the best comparison is Brett Brown at Philly - and he's still there.

Even the very best coaches can only do so much.

Premiership coaches like Pagan, Malthouse, Kennedy etc looked like like very crap coaches when they had a poor list.

Bolton did the hard work and whoever comes in will reap the benefit of that. Bit rough getting sacked in the 4th year of a 7 year rebuild but we are Carlton and this is the sort of thing we do. It's why we've been so bad for 20 years.

The worst thing about all of this is that it goes to prove we had no idea what was going to happen when we begin doing what we have done and that is on guys like Stephen Silvagni and MLG's head. If they didn't realise rebuilding through the draft with kids and virtually no senior foundations would make us this bad for this long then they are fools and that's being kind. That's concerning for me.

It raises serious concerns in regard to our administration and whether we actually know what we are doing and that we probably haven't changed our ways at all over the last 20 years. Here we are, a club with really bad list problems and again we sack yet another coach. We are the sort of club who fixes a flat tyre by replacing the engine and keeps doing it over and over again and wondering why it's not going anywhere.

This really really makes you wonder about people who thought we could go down this path and be competitive by now with a team of kids. Why does our football club believe that if you don't have senior players and rebuild with kids that it takes about 5 years to compete. Do they know anything about football at all?

I would hope the people at our club learn something.

On the positive side I don't think this will hurt us too much. There are some things to look forward to.

We should improve next season unless we start losing decent players and fail to gain good mature players. I think we are still a couple of seasons away from being a decent side regardless of who is coaching as I don't think the coach is too important in a modern setup.

The new coach effect should kick in for a month or so. Just about all sides overperform for a short period of time under a new coach. Not sure why but it seems to motivate players and kick things into gear.

On the negative side, unless our list looks really attractive I can't see too many coaches putting their hands up to coach us unless we really overpay and that's going to really hurt us with our off field cap. Our record with coaches and our tendency to sack them makes us really unappealing. In fact after this, after Ratten, after Malthouse I would think we would be the last place you would want to coach to be honest unless we pay and pay well. Then again there are always people out there looking for a head coaching job.

I can't help to think this was a typical Carlton decision to appease powerbroker board members, fans and media people. Typical of us, looking for someone to blame and it's always the coach.

I don't think time will tell whether this is a good move or not as our list should improve unless we start failing with recruitment and when it matures, whoever is coaching is going to be fortunate enough to have a list with quality and time to further build on their side.

I feel sorry for Bolton and feel this was a real nothing move. I think he knew what he was doing, he just didn't have the players. Hopefully whoever comes in will come in and be fully supported in all aspects and goes really well.

Pretty much agree with all of this, sadly

Would just like to say not only is it a sad moment for Bolton but also the Carlton FC because from I've been told he was fully committed to bringing your club out of the ashes and making them a powerhouse again.

I feel there was so much more at play in the background and until you address those issues no coach will be able to solve your problems.

All the best for the rest of season and I hope that whomever your club appoints next has a little more luck and helps in bringing your club a little more success.

We've been through some dark days ourselves as a club and while it's definitely tough it makes the brighter days so much more enjoyable 😁

This season is a clear failure. Needed to pull the pin and try build some momentum for next year.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Build momentum with a caretaker coach that will clearly not be the one to coach next year? Just don't see the logic in that.
Yes surely a fresh change will bring about some wins but how could it possibly help the team strategy and game plan moving forward??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It just had to be done, I think I’m as shattered as he would be but there really was no choice. The season was starting to pan out like last year

An utterly brilliant man and communicator, this game is brutal but unfortunately he had to go.
this season has been NOTHING like last year if nothing else in terms of closeness of matches barring the two blowouts and more importantly in that we have actually looked really good with a host of young talented players (that we did not have anything close too last year) in passages of play and up until the past few weeks have been lauded by commentators and fans alike.
It was literally in the past 3 weeks that things have blown up with two stinkers and the whole explosion of inevitable media hype waiting to pounce on their prey.

regardless I am now asking the question. David Teauge or whoever takes over is not going to be the coach next year. So yes, obviously it will bring about some change in the short term like an fresh start does but in terms of the bigger picture what will it do.???

Last edited:
I have been a big Bolton supporter and am generally against mid season firings. But, when the club and players have lost confidence and belief in themselves, the processes and the coaching, it's time to move on before the club loses the players entirely.
This was planned. Without a doubt.

Coincidence that Cripps had an 11 possession game yesterday. Me thinks not

The prospect for 2019 started awfully when Doc went down and I have no doubt that the Stocker trade placed extra pressure on Bolton - whether or not Stocker becomes a good player, the fact that the club traded its future first rounder created an extra narrative that was always going to be brought up each week and hang over the club (and BB’s) head

I’d personally like to thank Brendon as I’m sure many others would agree, for bringing back some integrity to the club.
Something we hadn’t had for many a long year and that meant the world to me as supporter!

That was a tough watch

Class act by Bolts and you wouldn’t expect anything else.

The club was put in a tough spot and I thing made the difficult and correct call

Who ever takes over will benefit from Bolts hard work and showing just great character at the end will only further be a good example for our young players

It is not a matter of sacking the senior coach or bust, other decisions can be made after a considered understanding of why things are where they are. 'Win/loss' is not an investigation. That is what is happening, not why. The why is the most important, and the fact is that if we had won the Hawthorn and Gold Coast games, and sat here with a record of 3 and 8, the decision would not have been made.

The fact that two kicks is the difference between us keeping and losing a senior coach shows it was a rushed decision made for the wrong reasons.

No one on here can say that Bolton was the problem, just like I can't say that he wasn't the problem, because there are so many variables that could be at play within a footy club. The fact that we have made the decision as we have done shows the lack of consideration around the decision making progress.

Again, it could prove to be the right decision. But, even if this is the case, it was not made for the right reasons.
excellent, excellent, excellent!

wish there was a LOVE option instead of LIKE;)

An eloquent dissertation, but the blame is not entirely on the senior coach. In fact, I place just as much blame on the pathetic coaching staff around him. The entire cohort needs to be ripped out and reset.

This was a very difficult decision, and it will certainly be followed by more difficult but necessary decisions.
DEFINITELY THINK ROBERT WALLS WAS A POOR APPOINTMENT.
Hope they bring in a ex senior coach as head of coaching next to whoever else comes in

Yeah thanks Bolton for everything you did for this club, I stuck by you but you never had a game plan, never tried anything, so this is the bitter end.

Best of luck for the future Bolts, and thanks for everything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back