News Thank you Bolts

Piss poor decision IMO, it takes a long time to turn a side around and I don't think he was given anywhere near enough of it to have a chance of having an impact. All the best to him, hopefully he lands a sweet gig somewhere.

Mr_Plow

That name again...
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Wings
Piss poor decision IMO, it takes a long time to turn a side around and I don't think he was given anywhere near enough of it to have a chance of having an impact. All the best to him, hopefully he lands a sweet gig somewhere.

Tough but correct decision. Team was structureless and anergic.

prisoner777

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2013
Bluesville Intergalactic Community
AFL Club
Carlton
So after baying for blood and getting it, the noble self appointed antagonists of Carltons every move have no solutions other than to sack everyone just because.

It really is no wonder we are last and as long as there is so much anti-carlton in carlton circles it willl stay this way.
Nothing will ever change regardless of changes until the negative spin that creates a web of failure evaporates and some agressive positivity permeates the club and its supporter base. In other words we get exactly what the majority expects like a perpetual self fulfilling prophecy.

Look at the facts and its very clear that we have sacked a coach because of pressure from outside and have no idea what to do next.
Its very clear that the pressure was allowed to filter in and affect all areas of the club. They fell over at the first hurdle.

Hold your head high Bolts. It was the right course you steered and now your gone it's a rudderless ship once again.
We now have no spiritual front of house leader and its a sad state of affairs. Its very likely that all we have left is another half season of limping along to another unknown future that lies ahead.

I had the feeling that another year and it all would have turned. I know I wasnt the only one. Instead of strength of purpose we get a hierarchy that fails in the task of asking why the team lost its spirit and defending the players through the tough time of growing together. Instead of supporting them they just did the easiest thing and made a scapegoat. In true modern carlton fashion it didnt have the guts for the fight.

So long Brendon and thanks for all the fish.

I swear to god you are a better posting version of me …… exactly my thoughts.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
I swear to god you are a better posting version of me …… exactly my thoughts.
Maybe twins then in another life. Thanks mate. But I am not better thats for sure.
The bottom line is that whatever happens next yesterday was so damn predictable. Wether its right or wrong in the long run only time can tell.

Bluesome

Team Captain
Oct 3, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
So after baying for blood and getting it, the noble self appointed antagonists of Carltons every move have no solutions other than to sack everyone just because.

It really is no wonder we are last and as long as there is so much anti-carlton in carlton circles it willl stay this way.
Nothing will ever change regardless of changes until the negative spin that creates a web of failure evaporates and some agressive positivity permeates the club and its supporter base. In other words we get exactly what the majority expects like a perpetual self fulfilling prophecy.

Look at the facts and its very clear that we have sacked a coach because of pressure from outside and have no idea what to do next.
Its very clear that the pressure was allowed to filter in and affect all areas of the club. They fell over at the first hurdle.

Hold your head high Bolts. It was the right course you steered and now your gone it's a rudderless ship once again.
We now have no spiritual front of house leader and its a sad state of affairs. Its very likely that all we have left is another half season of limping along to another unknown future that lies ahead.

I had the feeling that another year and it all would have turned. I know I wasnt the only one. Instead of strength of purpose we get a hierarchy that fails in the task of asking why the team lost its spirit and defending the players through the tough time of growing together. Instead of supporting them they just did the easiest thing and made a scapegoat. In true modern carlton fashion it didnt have the guts for the fight.

I could not agree more with this post and it sums up where the decision makers' heads were at.

We were told no more 'quick fixes' - that we now made decisions for the 'long term'. This decision was nothing but a cowardice quick release of pressure with minimal if any thought of the 'long term'. Leave it to the end of the year, do a full football department review, make sure you have all the facts, then act on it in whichever way is best for the club. That represents long term thinking that I would get behind completely, rather than knee jerk reactions to white noise.

I hope the club do not live to regret the decision, as we the fans will suffer for it, however if the adage 'fortune favours the brave' proves true than nothing but more hardship awaits us.

Last edited:
When you are 3 years and 10 games in and you have won 1 game it is easy for people to criticise and lose confidence - the players looked shot - the marketing feedback would have been awful, the media wanted blood and the angry fans wanted blood - where were the Bolton supporters last week?

Sacking a coach mid season after the president said it wouldn't happen ....

Club was between a rock and hard place - and blinked.

Huge fail not winning a few games this year - so close and worse- getting smashed and Captains calling player only meetings...

rabble stuff really.

Won't be easy to find a decent coach wanting to buy into this - not easy at all.

Club should have added resources and made a clear statement full review at end of year - that was the smart call.

When you are 3 years and 10 games in and you have won 1 game it is easy for people to criticise and lose confidence - the players looked shot - the marketing feedback would have been awful, the media wanted blood and the angry fans wanted blood - where were the Bolton supporters last week?

Sacking a coach mid season after the president said it wouldn't happen ....

Club was between a rock and hard place - and blinked.

Huge fail not winning a few games this year - so close and worse- getting smashed and Captains calling player only meetings...

rabble stuff really.

Won't be easy to find a decent coach wanting to buy into this - not easy at all.

Club should have added resources and made a clear statement full review at end of year - that was the smart call.

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings

Hear, hear.

The dream is over for me.

Nov 5, 2012
Canberra
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
There can be only 1
Bolts - thank you for the role you played in my clubs resurrection.
Your infectious positivity and drive to be better than we were played an important part in our teams future.
I will continue to support our team however I am saddened that you were asked to leave too soon.
I wish you all the best in your future endeavours.
Thank you, Blu.

AndyWalkersGirl

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2006
The Apple Isle.
AFL Club
Carlton
Seeing Cripps and Ed Curnow talk so proudly about their relationship with Bolts and how they value so much of what Bolts did for them and the club was a really kind gesture from them. As I said in the gameday thread, it was very humbling and decent of them post win today.

Then to see the post match with Cripps again speaking highly of Bolton was a sign of how close they were. He said Bolts was important to him and that he will keep in touch with him throughout his career.

People on here were saying how the players didn’t like Bolts in the end and how Cripps and Doc went to the board asking for his head. I didn’t buy it then, and hearing Cripps speak just confirmed to me that our captain is a decent guy and our now previous coach was great for our culture.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Seeing Cripps and Ed Curnow talk so proudly about their relationship with Bolts and how they value so much of what Bolts did for them and the club was a really kind gesture from them. As I said in the gameday thread, it was very humbling and decent of them post win today.

Then to see the post match with Cripps again speaking highly of Bolton was a sign of how close they were. He said Bolts was important to him and that he will keep in touch with him throughout his career.

People on here were saying how the players didn’t like Bolts in the end and how Cripps and Doc went to the board asking for his head. I didn’t buy it then, and hearing Cripps speak just confirmed to me that our captain is a decent guy and our now previous coach was great for our culture.

Maybe for culture but eventually we needed someone tactically to, well, coach

The Blue Baggers

Premiership Player
Apr 7, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
there is no joy in someone being sacked , but there was no enjoyment following the Blues the last couple of seasons

One game does not make a season but there is no way we come back from 6 goals down with Bolton as coach !!

blueycarlton

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2008
carnegie
AFL Club
Carlton
I liked Bolton. But the club has become the laughing stock of the AFL. Bolts may have been dumped after 2018 but the injuries covered his coaching. This season everyone was expecting the team to improve. Playing players out of position, hardly making any moves and having to stick to his game plan stifles the players' growth and enjoyment of the game. Carlton has a record membership based on last year and the promise of a better 2019. If we ended up winning 1 game then those membership numbers will topple. They still may happen if we don' t win again. But the improvement shown yesterday with the players let off the leash, I think some more wins are around the corner. More wins means happy players and supporters, more members and more revenue.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
It’s sad it came to this. I really liked Bolts, I had confidence in him and wanted him to succeed. I missed the last 4 weeks were things went horribly south, but I think he’s been really unlucky over the last year and a half. I (and I think we) was willing to forgive the absolute disaster of our injury riddled 2018. But at 1-10, we’re travelling to equal that write-off, rather than to progress from the more solid and acceptable 2017.

The recent criticisms (stubbornness, micro-managing, over complicated game-plan) are nothing new, we’ve heard these for a while. And although none of them are necessarily fatal, when you’re 1-10, and the team (although very inexperienced) is failing to perform to their collective ability, something had to give.

For all our needing mature midfield support, we had one wasting away in the forwardline.
However noble it is to offer the umpires support, they cost us 3 or 4 wins this year, and maybe ultimately his job.

Being away, I was shocked that this happened. I wish Bolts all the best. But I’m comfortable with the Club’s decision.

Home with the lurgy so caught up with the Pies game that i missed.

The team has your DNA Bolts. Thank you for what you have done for the club and players. Won't forget the hard work you put in.

Back